He ate way too much
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: He ate way too much

serenitydad is offline Member

DefaultHe ate way too much

Brando will be 11 weeks on Sunday the 21st. I fed him a big breakfast of 1.5 cups kibble mixed with hot water and pumpkin. Same thing for lunch. Dinner was pro plan wet food, salmon and rice, mixed with another 1.5 to 2 cups of kibble, which he at first turned his nose at, then finished while I left the house to run errands. My wife was with him the entire time. He awoke from his nap with a very big tummy and limping. The limping makes no sense because he was perfectly fine all day and actually had one of the lightest physical days yet, mostly walking around and napping.

The vet is closed so I called the breeder, who said bloat is unusual in puppies, but that if I was concerned I could induce vomiting. He seemed more concerned about the limp.

Brando seems comfortable and in no pain or distress otherwise. His demeanor is good, if a little sleepy. I don't know what do do. Any experience to share?
    True ambition is the deep desire to live usefully and walk humbly in God's grace. - Bill Wilson

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Silktap is offline Member

With regard to the limp or lameness you are seeing, when you palpate the area or leg does the puppy flinch to the touch? If you don't see any personality changes in the puppy such as lethargy, lack of thirst, and did the puppy have a bowel movement or when was the last bowel movement? If don't you see any changes from the norm in the little guy then I would just keep an eye on him and see how he feels tomorrow if he has an appetite and is drinking and moving well and the bloat is gone. Never hesitate in calling the vet...when in doubt. Personally, that's a lot of food! But that also depends on the weight and build of your Labrador. I think I'd have a bloat with all that food!

When I would do my client seminars in animal hospitals on obesity...I would ask that they bring what they used to dispense a cup of food when feeding their pet. You would be surprised what many used or deemed a cup....anything from Big Gulp cups to 3 cup scoops. Obesity is the number one problem and cause for Osteoarthritis in dogs especially when they move on to their senior years...make sure the cup you are using does in fact measure a cup of food. Your dog's joints will thank you in the long run.

Silktap is offline Member

Please keep us posted on little Brando Boo! =]

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Good news-bad news. The good news is he had two big bowel movements shortly after my post, and he is drinking. The bad news is he is still treating the leg as lame. No flinching when I palpate the leg and hip, but I'm not a vet. He actually got up and played a bit, but favored the one hind leg all the while. I will keep you all posted. Thank you for the responses so far. I don't even know anyone here yet, but it helps very much to have other lab owners with experience watching our backs. If he's not showing improvement in that leg by mid morning, he goes to the vet.
    True ambition is the deep desire to live usefully and walk humbly in God's grace. - Bill Wilson

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

I really hope the limping is not serious. I would also thoroughly examine the pad and in between and still see a vet.

The little stinker trotted out of his kennel this morning like he was Muhammed Ali. No trace of anything wrong. I'll continue to keep an eagle eye on that leg, but I'm considering changing his name from Brando to Teacup, since he's so fragile!

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Glad he is better. They often get tweeks and things that we will never know what caused them or what they are.

The thing we will never forget with Kassa as a pup was seeing her tummy grow after eating.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

citronella is offline Senior Member

Good to hear he is doing better. When Laci was a pup she was playing around and got her foot caught in the railing on the steps, she limped a little and then it was over. A couple of months later she started limping again after rigorous play and for the last year it has not shown up. So he might have done something to it that you never noticed.
    Just wanted to comment on the hot water in the food. I'm just going by what our breeder mentioned, others here might know better, but ours told us not to mix food with hot water as it breaks down the nutrients in the food.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Thanks! I had no idea. image.jpg

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by serenitydad View Post
    The little stinker trotted out of his kennel this morning like he was Muhammed Ali. No trace of anything wrong. I'll continue to keep an eagle eye on that leg, but I'm considering changing his name from Brando to Teacup, since he's so fragile!
    That gave me a laugh!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast