bald spots

Thread: bald spots

Sillydogs is offline Junior Member

Defaultbald spots

My pup is 5 months and has had a few bald spots for over a month now. 1 on her head that just appeared, 1 on her chest that just appeared, 1 on her leg that I did see her biting at but not excessive, and 1 on her side that I saw her scratching but not excessive. I switched her to grain free at least a month ago. I rub bag balm on then all the time. They dont seem to be getting any better, possibly worse. Some days they look white and healing, other days they look red and irritated. Now, im in the process of switching her to a fish based grain free kibble, but now shes been having more guey eye boogies. I made a vet appt today, not until next week though. What do you think is going on with my pup?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Silktap is offline Member

Could be ringworm, food allergy, skin allergy, lick granulomas (hot spots) to mention a few. If her eyes are gooey how are her ears? My pup at 4 months started showing scratchy sites and loss of hair with spots and i switched to a Salmon food and supplemented with OFA's (Omega Fatty Acids). I also shampooed him with a Chlor Hex shampoo that was safe for puppies. This seemed to do the trick and when I tried to put him back on the same food as my other Labs...it started up again...so mine was definitely a food allergy because it dissipated once I put him back on the Salmon food. I do believe in supplementing foods with OFA's I see a huge difference in their coat and their joints.

Please keep in mind that bald spots can be caused by parasites and it's wise when treating or examining to wear gloves especially if there is a chance it is ringworm because it's highly contagious to humans as well.

Also I can't believe your Veterinarian is having you wait a week for this appointment...if it were me I would ask to be seen sooner due to not knowing the severity or if in fact it's ringworm. Sometimes frontdesk people can be so nonchalant about things and unless you stress what it is you need they will just give you any old appointment. Or if they are really that busy ask to be put on the cancellation list so you can get in sooner!

Goodluck to you and I do hope you get to the bottom of the problem quickly so you can relax and so can your little pup! Good luck and keep us posted please.

Thank you!

Sillydogs is offline Junior Member

Well I chose to wait a few days longer to see my vet that ive been seeing for 15 years, not the other vet there that I dont like, and its been almost 2 months since the 1st spot showed, I figure whats another 4 days. She seems fine, a lot of energy running around and playing, eating, her stool is good, her ears are fine, its just bothering me

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Silktap is offline Member

Well I know that feeling all too well! =]

grlzmommy is offline Member

I just took Hunter in last week he just started losing hair in in small patches on his legs. He's always been an itchy puppy but just started with the hair loss, my worry was a mite. I did switch his food from pro plan to buffalo blue and it seems to have helped with the itching.
    The vet scraped him for mites and found none but said it could possibly be a scabies mite they are a lot harder to see on a scrape, so she gave me revolution to apply that day and then in 2 weeks to see if it helps. If not she could do a deeper scrape when I get him neutered. Hoping it works b/c I don't plan on neutering him til he's fully mature! So it's been about a week and the itching is almost 90% better, he hasn't lost anymore hair either so for now we are seeing how it goes with the revolution.
    HUNTER 10/15/2012
    Missing you every day Summer
    11/1/2004-09/26/2012