Dog eats earthworms.

Thread: Dog eats earthworms.

NanM is offline Senior Member
    Conquest, NY--near Syracuse and Lake Ontario.

DefaultDog eats earthworms.

I have done a lengthy Google search to learn if earthworms carry diseases that can be transmitted to dogs and I haven't found a clear answer. I live in farm country and the soil is loaded with worms. Whenever it rains hard my driveway becomes covered with earthworms. They also get onto the pavement in the garage. I would have to use an Elizabethan collar to prevent Mardi from snatching them up. Does anyone know if they are harmful? My property is not close to any fields that might contain harmful chemicals but I don't know how far earthworms can travel.
    Thanks,
    Nancy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

I know that snails and slugs are dangerous ! I'll be interested to know too !

labby is offline Senior Member

from the AKC site

I’ve heard some dog owners report that their dogs devour these segmented hors d’ouevres with no ill effect. However, there are a few reasons why you should not let your pup scarf up this garden garnish. Earthworms are great for soil because they move it around, clean it up and deposit nutrients. They do this by swallowing the soil. Some of the things that an earthworm might run across on his errands include bacteria and other parasites that are harmful to dogs.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I remembered this from another board from back in 2007: This breeder lost all but one pup just after birth as her girl went into renal failure and was hospitalized.

"Cause of renal failure was Capillaria plica, transmitted by earthworms!

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?
    cfile=htm/bc/130505.htm

The day she went to the hospital she vomited 2 earthworms, but at the time we saw no significance. During my research on canine renal failure I found vague references to earthworms and uncommon occurrence, so I explored further and requested a urine analysis. Sure enough, eggs were found in the urine! It is treatable (albendazole), which we are trying to locate locally (cattle wormer!) or high doses of Ivermec, which is the route we took."

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I sure hope others read my post. You never know what your Lab is eating in the yard...

This seems bizarre but you never know........................

doubletrouble25 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snowco Labradors View Post
    I remembered this from another board from back in 2007: This breeder lost all but one pup just after birth as her girl went into renal failure and was hospitalized.

"Cause of renal failure was Capillaria plica, transmitted by earthworms!

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?
    cfile=htm/bc/130505.htm

The day she went to the hospital she vomited 2 earthworms, but at the time we saw no significance. During my research on canine renal failure I found vague references to earthworms and uncommon occurrence, so I explored further and requested a urine analysis. Sure enough, eggs were found in the urine! It is treatable (albendazole), which we are trying to locate locally (cattle wormer!) or high doses of Ivermec, which is the route we took."
    That is crazy! and so sad.. I can't imagine dealing with all of that while also losing almost an entire litter as well Definitely something to keep in mind.

Annabelle is offline Banned

Some times i find my dogs are eating earthworms its so creep they suddenly attacks on them didn't listen me and get out of control after finishing them i noted a changed behaviour in them. They become so brutal and harsh with things i didn't understands why this happens can anybody tells me is it normal or they are having any problem? what should i do now

pattiebernard is offline Junior Member

earthworms are not safe for use as animal food when they are alive, because they do sometimes carry harmful bacteria, however their is a type of worm food know as wormmeal protein concentrate. since worms are very high in protein they are basically, washed, cut to a pulp, dried and grounded into powdered form and then heat treated to kill any possible bacteria.This protein is very similar to meat and bone meal that makes up a very large portion of dog food at this time. their are some worm farms that currently do make commericial grade worm powder, but it is mostly used as feed for fish and livestock at this time