How much pumpkin?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much pumpkin?

NanM is offline Senior Member
    Conquest, NY--near Syracuse and Lake Ontario.

DefaultHow much pumpkin?

I want to add some plain pureed pumpkin to Mardi's kibble but I don't want to give her too much. She is currently 37 pounds and my vet says she shouldn't weigh more than 42 pounds. I gave her about 3/4 teaspoon yesterday and have seen no ill effects. Mardi would eat gravel if I put it in her dish so I don't know if she enjoys the taste but she gulps it down along with her kibble. Her stools are large and just short of loose and that is why I want to try pumpkin. I recently completed switching her from Hill's ID to Canidae Lamb and Rice so I don't want to try another kibble for a while--maybe when I finish the new bag I just opened. My aim is to find a high quality dry kibble without grain. The cost isn't too much of a concern because I am feeding only one dog when I used to feed four. I just want her to stop feeling starved 24/7 and have comfortable, healthy digestion, stools and weight. She has good exercise tolerance and loves to play endless fetch out in her fenced acre. She also continues to eat dirt, mud, grass, her own stools (if I don't get them picked up before she can get to them) twigs and small creatures and plants she can snatch up from the grass. I keep the acre picked up of any and all junk but she finds things to eat no matter what I do. For that reason I seldom walk her in public places where people may drop trash. She has even tried to eat a piece of gravel but finally dropped it after she realized it was a rock! I keep the kitchen trash can covered and latched because she constantly tries to find something tasty around the house. I am certain she had to scrounge food while she was a stray and that is why food is so terribly important to her.
    Nancy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

I would think a tablespoon would be okay? To be honest when I've given it Koivu, I've just kind of thrown a dollop on top of his food and not measured.
    Have you tried greenbeans for her? Just for some added bulk, maybe to make her feel more full?

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

I would go for the green beans over the pumpkin if you are trying to take weight off. Pumpkin is typically used to firm up stools, it isn't something that will help make her feel full. Cut back about 1/4 of her kibble & replace it with green beans. I would start this with just one meal for a week or so and see if you notice a difference, then maybe do the same with her second meal. Just ease into it you don't want any significant weight drop.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Adding the pumpkin will help firm her stools, which is what you want. If the poop is too soft, the anal glands don't get cleaned out and you end up with problems there.

About a tablespoon per feeding should help; watch how she does and if things don't seem firmer, try a little more the next time.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

Pumpkin is to firm stools?? Once when Jack was a bit constipated, I did a google search and came up with this : Plain pumpkin (not the pie mix with spices) may help a constipated dog get come healthy fiber. So is this something else to put in my "BS File"? I swear, the more I learn, the less I know. I got that info from "vet approved home remedies" http://http://alexadry.hubpages.com/...is-constipated
    So thanks for clearing that myth up for me. Sometimes I get so confused . Too much info I guess, have to sort it all out.

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by KathyArch View Post
    Pumpkin is to firm stools?? Once when Jack was a bit constipated, I did a google search and came up with this : Plain pumpkin (not the pie mix with spices) may help a constipated dog get come healthy fiber. So is this something else to put in my "BS File"? I swear, the more I learn, the less I know. I got that info from "vet approved home remedies" http://http://alexadry.hubpages.com/...is-constipated
    So thanks for clearing that myth up for me. Sometimes I get so confused . Too much info I guess, have to sort it all out.
    Pumpkin is one of those good all around things to keep in the house. Yes, it helps with constipation. When Java had her surgeries she did not poop for 3 days because of the anesthesia and meds. Gave her a tablespoon of pumpkin and it moved things along.
    BUT-it is also great for firming up poops. If you give them too much it will cause soft stools, but just a tablespoon will firm things right up.

I keep pumpkin in my house at all times!

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

Thank you javasmom ....it's hard sometimes to figure out what's what. They say you can get all the info you need on the internet, and that may be true, but it's nice to have help weeding out what's BS and what's true.

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by KathyArch View Post
    Thank you javasmom ....it's hard sometimes to figure out what's what. They say you can get all the info you need on the internet, and that may be true, but it's nice to have help weeding out what's BS and what's true.
    No problem-just make sure you get 100% pure pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling.
    It's always a good idea to keep a few cans in the cabinet-you never know when you might need it!

It's great for firming up poops after the dogs eat something nasty or if they get runny poops from a marrow bone or something. It firms it right up-just about a tablespoon.
    Same works for constipation-about a tablespoon gets things moving!

My girls LOVE it too....

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

If she seems really hungry and you want to add a little bit of weight I would just add a little extra kibble to her meals along with the green beans. Maxx is very food driven, always hungry, adding the green beans to his meals helps a lot without adding a huge calorie amount. He eats a good amount of green beans, carrots, apples, etc daily. I use them for treats rather than other snacks also.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

bman's mom is offline Member

cooked white rice will also help to firm up stools.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast