Do any of you have a grazer?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do any of you have a grazer?

classiq is offline Senior Member

DefaultDo any of you have a grazer?

What I mean by this is that when I put his food down, he will take a mouthful, chew it walk away for a while then come back to the bowl. He was like this as a puppy, then he was eating at his regular times and finishing his meals. Now we're back to grazing.

Mac is on fromm dry food. 2 cups per day. Water intake is pretty normal. Potty is okay. Do I resign myself to the point that he is just going to be a grazer,and eat when he wants? This is probably nothing, just kinda strange to me. By the way Mac is 1yr. 3 months old. Decent body weight. No other problems.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

Do you mean that he takes a bite then walks away and won't come back for let's say ten minutes or more? Bentley used to do that and my dogs are not allowed to free-feed. So after it being down for ten minutes if he didn't rat it or only took a small bit I picked it up until the next feeding. He finally caught on ans now eats it all as soon as I put it down.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Deidra--Yep that's exactly what I mean. I have picked his food up after about 15 mins, and gave it back to him at the next feeding. He's good for a couple days, then go back to grazing.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Ah, no....I have inhalers.
    It's gone in under a minute.

Samson is offline Senior Member

Are you sure that you have a Labrador ? :-)

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
    Are you sure that you have a Labrador ? :-)
    No kidding!!
    Mya would be scared to death some one might eat it so she would NEVER leave even a crumb in her bowl!

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

When I first got Kaity (April 30th of last year), she was a grazer. She had been free fed in her previous home. This does not work in my home. Dio (my other dog) is an inhaler and a pig. Any food left is free to take. Obviously Kaity needed to eat her food or she would go hungry and Dio would get fat! We did as was suggested above, put the food down for 10 mins and then put it up until the next meal. It took about 2 weeks for her to finally realise that she had to eat at mealtimes or else she'd go hungry.

Happy to say, she is now an inhaler. We have zero issues with her eating her food.
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

Thanks for all your responses. Yes he is a full lab. Just so you know that he's not starving, he weighs in at 100 lbs.

Dio's mama--I only have Mac, so there's no threat of another dog eating his food. Will try again to put up food if he doesn't eat it all. Thanks again.

ahtoxa is offline Senior Member

Mine was like that a while ago as well, and like most responses, I started to take his food away after 10 mins of not eating or grazing and walking away. Did the trick as well. Now he eats everything in a single sitting.

citronella is offline Senior Member

Nope Laci is an inhaler. But when we got Bentley the previous owners said they left his food bowl on the floor all day. Had to break him of it. Took the bowl up after 10 minutes as well. Tilly the beagle also hovers over his bowl. Should he move an inch away she dives for it.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast