IS THE FOOD I AM FEEDING GOOD?

Thread: IS THE FOOD I AM FEEDING GOOD?

enzo is offline Member

DefaultIS THE FOOD I AM FEEDING GOOD?

my lab is 2 months old. His name is enzo! and I am feeding him almost 5 times in a day
    6 am in morning royal canin mother and puppy starter+ ekuneba starter

then around 11 am I give him the same again

then at 2 40 pm i give him homemade curd made from 1/2 kg of milk daily and he loves it and suits his stomach too

then at 6 or 6 30 pm i give him more curd+both the dog food (little of all)

then around 8 i give him banana/papaya or boiled vegetables

and every 2nd day i give him the white portion of egg(raw) and daily giving him 1/2 multivitamin supplement capsule...

but I want him to be RAW food as in india all the dog food are imported(best food only) and are quiet costly... i can buy 1 kg of mutton in around rs.400 and full chicken in around rs.300 lol and dog food cost me rs.1300 per 3 kg bag...and vegetables are also cheap and good...

so first question am i feeding good or anything i should add? and i will remove him off dog food slowly..and he will be fully removed of dog food when he will be 6 months old....so i want to know what all things i can give him and how much and recepie and thing..

i am thinking of giving him boiled rice+raw egg+boiled carrot+brocoli or something+boiled mutton and lots of milk+curd and all fruits...DSC01150.jpgDSC01165.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Destinfam5 is offline Senior Member

I wish I could help you. I know there are dogs on diets that don't include dog food. As long as you're giving him the nutrients and calories he needs I don't see the problem.
    Another thought, have you looked online like at amazon?

He's an adorable pup! Best of luck to you.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Its completely unnecessary to feed that often. 3 times a day is just fine. I also think you are probably adding way too much calcium to the puppy's diet. The commercial food you are feeding has calcium in it and when you add more (with the milk products) you risk excessive/quick bone growth which is BAD for dogs.

I am not sure what mother and puppy starter is and whether it is appropriate for a weaned puppy. I've never seen anything like that here. Kibble 3 times a day is a complete diet without all that other stuff added in. If you want to feed RAW - research it and feed it appropriately.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Its completely unnecessary to feed that often. 3 times a day is just fine. I also think you are probably adding way too much calcium to the puppy's diet. The commercial food you are feeding has calcium in it and when you add more (with the milk products) you risk excessive/quick bone growth which is BAD for dogs.

I am not sure what mother and puppy starter is and whether it is appropriate for a weaned puppy. I've never seen anything like that here. Kibble 3 times a day is a complete diet without all that other stuff added in. If you want to feed RAW - research it and feed it appropriately.
    x100

Giving snacks and such is one thing but if you are "complementing" the dog's diet with random foods then you need to understand the bigger picture or you could be messing the the nutrition. Dog foods are balanced for the puppie's needs, so a good kibble is all they need. the extra can often do more harm then good unless you have researched and know what they add to teh diet (and if that is needed).

Generally feeding 3 meals of kibble a day is enough. at 8 weeks he does not need curd/milk. too much calcium is bad for puppies.

Banana/papaya is unnecessary. as a treat sure, but it is not a part of a dog's "nutritional needs".

If you plan to move to a full raw diet (or home made) please read up on it and prepare. It takes a lot of knowledge to make a balanced food for a dog. There is TONS of information on line and raw groups/message boards and books to get you started. ESPECIALLY with a dog so young, feeding raw/home made for a young dog is much harder then an adult dog and requires more knowledge.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

wahidpolin is offline Junior Member

Although they do like occasional treats, dogs, unlike humans, are content to eat the same food every day. So there's no real reason to make changes in a dog's diet to add variety. In fact, doing so may cause digestive upset and diarrhea. Not every dog has these problems, but many do when their food is changed.3 meals will be good enough for your puppy.

enzo is offline Member

actually man i ordered my pup from other state and specified them to give me a 8 weeks old puppy...but they sent a 26 days old one and he was pretty weak..i mean it took me so much of effort to make him gain some weight and be active...he started licking walls and then my vet told me dogs tend to do so when they have calcium deficiency and he is very weak too....so i put him on high calcium and protein diet and he has started to gain weight and be active....

but now i will slowly slow down the calcium i give him....yu r right..he is getting to much of it...and i cant find any company better thn royal canin here and i dont like it ingredients so much..

and one more thing...he has got scrabies now and is loosing his hairs from head stomach...back..legs almost everywhere and something white coming off his skin....doc gave me some shampoo and lotions to weekly put on him and batch him...and antibioatics....i wanted to know if this is common and how much it will take to heal man...i really love him and i am so pissed at the breeder...i am gonna file a case against him...

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I would simply STOP feeding milk products. No reason to wean him off of it. Give him a decent kibble 3 x a day and water.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.