Overzealous Vet?

Thread: Overzealous Vet?

serenitydad is offline Member

DefaultOverzealous Vet?

Hi all,

My 9 week old Brando was diagnosed with Giradia on Monday and the vet prescribed 5 days of panacur to correct it. I called the vet today because although Brando is chipper, his stools have become runny. I was just calling to ask if diarrhea was a normal side effect. Whil on hold for five minutes I looked online and saw that diarrhea was normal when treating with panacur. I was hoping to ask the vet's office what to do about the diarrhea (cottage cheese?), when the vet tech came back on the line and said they had 2 prescriptions for me, one an antibiotic because the panacur wasn't working (REALLY? You prescribed it for five days and I call you on day three, you haven't seen a stool sample and you tell me the panacur isn't working?) and another prescription for the diarrhea. I don't want another prescription, especially under these circumstances.

Am I missing something, or does it seem like the vet needs to make his/her car payment this month?

By the way, this is the first time we've used this vet. We weren't too happy with the one we've been using the past few years for our older dog so we decided to give this one a try.
    True ambition is the deep desire to live usefully and walk humbly in God's grace. - Bill Wilson

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

What did they give for an antibiotic? Metro?

I'm not sure about your vet, but I would continue to give the Panacur and if the antibiotic is Metro I would give that as well.
    A Metro/Panacur combo is the only thing that cleared up giardia when Moka had it.

serenitydad is offline Member

They're supposed to call back and I'll ask them. Just wondering if that's the case, why not give me the Metro to begin with? The way this was handled bothers me a little.
    True ambition is the deep desire to live usefully and walk humbly in God's grace. - Bill Wilson

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Don't give cottage cheese unless you want more runs.

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by serenitydad View Post
    They're supposed to call back and I'll ask them. Just wondering if that's the case, why not give me the Metro to begin with? The way this was handled bothers me a little.
    Because in most cases Panacur works better than Metro (Flagyl) with giardia. Ideally you should be on the Panacur for 7 days, go off of it for 7 days then go back on for another 5. I've found that anything less than that doesn't wipe it out completely and you'll be dealing with it again.

In extremely stubborn cases, I've used both Panacur and Flagyl at the same time. Thankfully, the Panacur usually works and I don't have to double up very often.

Laura

NancyO is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    Because in most cases Panacur works better than Metro (Flagyl) with giardia. Ideally you should be on the Panacur for 7 days, go off of it for 7 days then go back on for another 5. I've found that anything less than that doesn't wipe it out completely and you'll be dealing with it again.

In extremely stubborn cases, I've used both Panacur and Flagyl at the same time. Thankfully, the Panacur usually works and I don't have to double up very often.
    I agree with this completely 100%. We battled giardia for too long. Finally did it for 6 days then did it again (it was 2 weeks later) and 2 fecals have now shown up negative. Good luck - giardia can be a pain in the butt to get rid of.