Molly's daughter Sadie has agressive bone cancer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Molly's daughter Sadie has agressive bone cancer

bman's mom is offline Member

DefaultMolly's daughter Sadie has agressive bone cancer

My heart is breaking as I write this, yesterday my husband and I found out that Sadie, Molly's daughter and Bman's sister has an agressive type of bone cancer. The vet says she has 6 wks. or less. Please don't ask me what type, my husband was so shocked and upset that he didn't ask, nor did I want him to. Sadie is like our own dog, she hunted alongside her mother Molly for all her seven years, giving her owners and my husband much pleasure in seeing her wonderful retrieves. Of all Molly's pups, Sadie is the one we wanted to keep for our own, but she was promised to our good friends before she was born. Our hearts are so sad for Sadie and our friends. I do not know what they will do but whatever course they choose we will be there to support them. Our friends want us to come over this weekend to see her. I want to go but I don't know if I can. How do I tell them how sorry I am? What can I say to them? I have no words that seem right. If anyone can help me know what to say, please, tell me. This couldn't hurt more than if she was Molly or Bman.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bett is offline Senior Member

there are no words.
    so very sorry.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I am so very sorry and agree there are no "right" words. Just be there, support them. Sending many prayers to Sadie, her family and to yours.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mrogers is offline Senior Member

I would suggest just talking about what a good dog she is, telling her and them. Take some pictures, maybe video if she is still running around. The pics and video will become precious once she is gone. Hearing that other people have enjoyed and loved their dog will mean so much as well.
    It is very hard to act normal around the animal when we know it is very ill and doesn't have long, because we are thinking ahead to our loss. However it is important that the dog still feel that everything is alright in their world and with their humans. They really pick up on our emotions and can't understand why we are so sad around them. (this is what I have read and also what we experienced with our lab at the end). Maybe you can help your friends to deal with the news and be strong for their dog these last few weeks.

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

Just support whatever decision they make for her treatment and be there to enioy and love her for however long she has. My boxer, Stella, had lymphoma at the age of 6, and lived 6 months on chemo treatments. Its agonizing, devestating. My friends and their dogs (Stella's friends), helped us so much. They kept me strong and made sure she was happy. It was a tremendous help to me. I'm so sorry your friends are going on this awful journey. I'm crying for them right now. Give your friends a hug from me, and do everything Sadie loves to do! Sadie doesn't know she's sick. One more thing...tell your friends not to stress over when to make the final decision. I did. Trust me, Sadie will tell them when its time My heart is heavy for them, it just sucks..
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry, one more thing. You need to go over there to see her and love on her. Trust me, it doesnt matter what you say. They need their friends. Mine came over , played with Stella and just cried with me. It helped me tremendously.
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

My only advice is to celebrate life. It's hard to do when you know its limited ...but what a gift we've been given with the life of a dog.

I thank you all for responding. I will go over this weekend and love on Sadie. And hug my friends and cry a lot with them. All your words have comforted me, thank you.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

So sorry to hear this. Be there with them and help them grieve. Prayers for all of you during this difficult time.

Not sure what treatment, if any, they will choose but may want to look into this:

Bone Cancer Study

NEW VACCINE AVAILABLE FOR CANINE BONE CANCER

Osteosarcoma (bone cancer) is most commonly seen in large and giant breed dogs. It is an aggressive cancer that frequently affects the long bones and despite limb amputation and chemotherapy many dogs die from the cancer that spreads to their lungs.

Researchers at the University of Pennsylvania’s School of Veterinary Medicine are now evaluating a new vaccine for dogs that have been diagnosed with osteosarcoma. If your dog has recently been diagnosed with bone cancer or is currently undergoing chemotherapy for bone cancer he/she may be eligible for vaccination.

We went over yesterday to see Sadie. We loved on her and she tried to get into my hubby's lap. Our friends seemed glad to have us there. They talked some about what is going on with her and how they are trying to make her life as sweet as possible. I told them of all your support here and that you all sent hugs to them, it seemed to help.

Snowco, thank you for the info about the vaccine. Because they seem to have settled on what they want for Sadie, I don't think I will mention it to them. I don't want to upset them or make them second guess their decision.

They asked about how things went when I let my Jessa go and had her cremated. I told them about my friend going to get her remains from the vet because I could not go. They said they might like to have me do that for them when the time comes and of course I said yes. As we were leaving they asked us to come back again. I hope we helped, I think we did. This is hitting me as hard as losing my own. Our friends were there with us when Sadie was born.

My thanks to everyone, talking about this here helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast