Waist and rib "test" didn't work for our Misty
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waist and rib "test" didn't work for our Misty

mrogers is offline Senior Member

DefaultWaist and rib "test" didn't work for our Misty

Our rescue gained weight over the Winter (as did I) but she still has a waist and you can still see where her rib cage is and feel her ribs in there. I thought she was probably just slightly heavier because of the "test" of waist and ribs. Now the vet says she needs to lose 10 lbs! She is going to look skinny if she loses 10.
    I know thinner labs are healthier and because of her arthritis in back leg the vet wants her thin... but ....are labs supposed to look "ribby" ? Our vet says she wants Misty's ribs to show. (she used to breed and show labs so she is familiar with the breed). I guess I just don't prefer the look myself, but maybe it is the way it has to be....

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

Our vet says she wants Misty's ribs to show.
    That's how my vet wants Dio to look to. It is skinny but I figure that if it helps his health long term then it's fine.
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I have always been told you should see a waist and be able to easily feel their ribs, not see their ribs. I am not sure I would be comfortable being able to see my dogs ribs.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

If I got my dogs to the point where you could see ribs, they would have hip and skull bones showing too. Diesel drops weight very, very quickly when he is sick and I've seen this happen a few times. I don't really agree with getting them that thin. Easily feel ribs - yep. See them - nope.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tammyhuffman View Post
    I have always been told you should see a waist and be able to easily feel their ribs, not see their ribs. I am not sure I would be comfortable being able to see my dogs ribs.
    This is what my vet says as well. She says Jack's weight is "ideal" I think he looks thin. But I can't see his ribs...I can feel them with no problem.

labby is offline Senior Member

no they are not supposed to look ribby. you should be able to see a shadow of the ribs when they move but not see them all the time. most vets don't know much about Labradors and consequently often give the wrong advise concerning them.

my vet was on vacation once and I took my Raven in for something. the vet who was filling in for him took one look at her and got all snotty about how fat she was. I looked down on Raven and could clearly see a waist. the vet said she needed to lose 20 pounds or she would guarantee Raven would end up with joint problems. "you are harming your dog and she's going to have hip problems".

i said, "you haven't seen many well-bred Labradors have you? She's as thin as she's ever going to be and if she was any thinner, someone would turn me in for abusing my dog because she'd be too thin."

"She's going to be dysplastic, I guarantee it and she will suffer with that for the rest of her life"

"Oh really......she came back OFA Excellent."

Her mouth fell open and wisely shut up. When my vet came back from vacay, he got an earful from me and that vet hasn't been back.

The moral of the story, YOU know your dog. if the dog is at a good weight, then keep it there

Laura

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Like Laura, I like to see a shadow of the back ribs when they move, but not when they stand still.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Tanya is offline Senior Member

ahh! I never read about the "shadow of the rib"! I was sitting there confused all these days about how I can sometimes "see" ribs and somtimes i coudln't! probably seeing the shadow of the rib!

OP - I would nto want to see a lab's ribs as others mentionned. Each breed is different, some breeds you absolutely see ribs regularly (especially those wtih thin coats). But a lab? no way!

check out this chart (that the vet should KNOW about) - it even says that if you SEE RIBS your dog is probably underweight, with the exeptions of a few breeds like greyhounds and whippets (which labs are definately not!) I would be pretty mad at my vet for stating you shoudl see a lab's ribs (beyond the last one).

How to Evaluate Your Dog's Weight - For Dummies
    Last edited by Tanya; 04-10-2013 at 12:20 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

you should be able to see a shadow of the ribs when they move but not see them all the time
    This is worded perfectly. I don't 100% 'see' Dio's ribs, but you can tell that they are there. It depends on his movement, if his laying down or standing, etc. But because he is so tall and heavy, we take extra precautions with his weight.
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

mrogers is offline Senior Member

thanks for the chart. Looks like Misty falls between ideal and heavy so will try to get a few more pounds off of her. Maybe my vet meant the shadow of the ribs when she said "see her ribs" and I misunderstood her to mean see all the ribs. She is a pretty awesome vet so I would expect she meant that. I had not heard that term either. She is learning acupuncture for animals and has offered free acupuncture for Misty's bad leg while she works on her license for acupuncture. I may take her up on it....but need to take some weight off the dog for the arthritis as well. Appreciate the help with figuring out what she should look like at ideal weight. This dog seems to lose and gain very easily.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast