My 5-month-old girl has glucose in her urine!

Thread: My 5-month-old girl has glucose in her urine!

jjfordogs is offline Junior Member

DefaultMy 5-month-old girl has glucose in her urine!

My 5 1/2-month-old girl, Nova, went into the vet the other day for what I thought was a UTI. Upon examination, it was revealed that she did indeed have a UTI, but that she also had glucose in her urine as well. She was just recently spayed, so I'm wondering if the stress of the spay could have caused her body to expel some glucose that way or if she might have diabetes. I can't think of a reason for her to have diabetes, aside from genetics, but it terrifies me just thinking about it. I know that cats can have transient diabetes, where the diabetes is temporary, but I have no idea if dogs can also have it. Also, Nova doesn't seem stressed at all (she's showing no physical signs of stress and she's not exhibiting any stressful behavior). Has anyone else been through anything like this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

You need to speak with Sharon, (bigbrowndog), she has a diabetic dog and keeps him healthy with consistent, wonderful care. If your baby is diabetic Sharon will be very helpful to talk to.
    I don't mean to chamge the subject or be rude but why did you spay your puppy so young?
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the board.

Did your vet not do a blood glucose test on your puppy? What did he have to say about the glucose in her urine?

Is she exhibiting any diabetic symptoms (extreme and insatiable thirst, very frequent and excessive urination)?

I have a Lab who was diagnosed with diabetes as an 18 month old - he was the picture of health otherwise. It can happen. There is a great site to check out if your puppy is actually diabetic. Diabetes in your Dog - Insulin, Food, Monitoring, Testing - Forum It can be managed. My dog is now 7 and doing fine.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Thanks Sharon!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

jjfordogs is offline Junior Member

She has been drinking and urinating A LOT recently, but I thought that perhaps that was due to her UTI. My vet didn't run a blood glucose test on her yet. She wants to treat the UTI first and then recheck her urine. I guess if there is still glucose in it, that will be the next step. Thank you very much for the link, Sharon. I really appreciate it!

As for spaying her at 5 months, I was not advised by my vet that it was wrong to do so.
    No Matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich." -Louis Sabin