Help! I think Bear has kennel cough!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! I think Bear has kennel cough!

cmndrJOE is offline Member

DefaultHelp! I think Bear has kennel cough!

So bear had his first distemper shot back in december, but they never gave him his booster. Past couple days, he's been hacking and coughing like he's got a furball stuck in his throat. He is spitting up too, not vomit, but more like philgem (flem). He hasn't lost his appetite, and he doesn't lounge any more than he normally does. I have had him sleeping outside the past couple nights, just because he's restless and uncomfortable inside. He loves cold. He does have a doorless kennel he sleeps in outside, with a pillow. I've got an appointment with the vet in 2 saturdays to get his shots redone for distemper (all of his other vaccines are up to date). I know kennel cough can and usually passes within 3-6 weeks, but I've never personally had a dog that has had it. He's 5 or so months old, and I guess I feel like I'm freaking out a bit. I don't know where to go from here. Are there any home remidies I can give him to either help him feel better sooner and/or cure him? I can see it in his eyes that it's gotten to the point it's bothering him, but not enough to the point that he's disinterested or unhungry. Like I said earlier, he's eating fine. His poops are normal, and he still wants to play and goof around. What do I do?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Also, I forgot to mention, the vet gave him an oral dewormer yesterday. Apparently he likes banana flavored medicines lol. I'm not sure how/if that would affect him. We did have a good day of car rides yesterday as well, bouncing between pet store, groomer, and vet. He didn't seem stressed, though.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Take him to the vet NOW! Do not wait 2 weeks. Maybe it is KC but I would never take a chance, especially with a 5 month old puppy.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ok. I will call them and see if I can get him in tomorrow. I've got a pretty stacked schedule at work, hopefully my coworkers help me out a bit and make it easy. I do believe since I adopted him at the spca, they will see him for free within the first week of us taking him home. I literally just had him in the vets office yesterday, and she didn't mention that his chest sounded wheezey. Actually he got good checks all the way around.

Better safe than sorry and they should definitely see him without charging you! Puppies can go downhill very quickly. Good luck and let me know how you make out.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean

Thank you for your help. I will surely keep you updated

BTW - if he has not had all of his boosters he should not be anywhere but your back yard! Any place frequented by other dogs, dog parks, pet stores, groomers, etc should be completely off limits until at least 2 weeks after the last set of shots. Do not even put him on the floor at the vets, keep him in your arms. (I know that will probably not be easy with a 5 month old but it is necessary.) You can take him places like Home Depot and other places that allow animals, just keep him in a cart. It gives you the opportunity to socialize him without jeopardizing his health.
    Last edited by tammyhuffman; 04-04-2013 at 01:52 AM.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean

Oh jeez I've been taking him everywhere! I know it doesn't look it from his pictures, but he's very mellow. When I pick him up he rests his head on my shoulder like a baby. He's resting now, its bedtime, and his wheezeses and coughs have subscided. They seem to kick in when he gets excited. I just got back home a few mins ago, and he still is acting like nothing is wrong, tail wagging a mile a minute, wanting to play. He mowed his dinner down too, like normal. Maybe it just sounds a lot worse than it is, not that I'm not going to get him checked out or anything like that, but literally the only symptoms he's showing is the coughing/wheezing/hacking. Tammy you're awesome. I will keep this thread updated with any and all updates, good or bad (hopefully only good, though!)

citronella is offline Senior Member

I agree take him to the vet. Laci and Bentley were both protected from kennel cough but got it anyways from day care. It is contagious so I would suggest Lucy getting immunized as well. Our beagle Tilly who is a home body and does not go to daycare got it as well.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Lucy is fully up on her shots. She doesn't seem to have it, but I will keep a close eye on her as well. Bear slept through the night with no incidents of wheezing or coughing, this morning he coughed a bit when he woke uo, but not as bad as he was yesterday. I'm going to do my best to get him into the spca's vet today or tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast