Ear infection again...only a few weeks off meds from the last...

Thread: Ear infection again...only a few weeks off meds from the last...

smokey is offline Senior Member

DefaultEar infection again...only a few weeks off meds from the last...

Smokey had infection in both ears the end of February. He was prescribed Otibiotics for 14 days. Had him back to the vet yesterday as he started shaking his head again and scratching at his ears. Bot ears are infected again. (He is 11 months old we feed ProPlan Performance which is now Sport I believe)

My vet thinks it may be too soon to think about allergies. The first infection I agreed, this one now so soon after the last has me thinking I should consider it may be allergies.

Your thoughts, please? Where do I start? Food? Having him tested? Or see if this two week course of meds works it out? (Yeast infection, both ears)

I appreciate any advice.

Been getting our house finished and preparing to move, haven't been on here much lately but know there is a lot of knowledge and experience here.
    Smokey 4/25/2012

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cadac21 is offline Junior Member

Hello,

Allergies? Well where to start. It's a minefield and I have been looking at this for over a year.

In my thread I forgot to mention that my dog's allergy problems were spotted via a vist to the vets for an ear problem.

This is my own personal opinion so may or may not be right however, if it were an allergy probelm I would expect to see other signs like scratching or chewing etc.

My thoughts having read alot about allergies etc is that this maybe a yeast infection in the ears. Again my personal opinion is that really you need to try other things before testing for allergies. It is distressing for the dog and also for you and doesn't always guarantee results.

There is a product that I used on Oreo's ears called 'Thornit' I am not sure whether you can get it where you are, but it's a fantastic product and sorted Oreo's ears very quickly.

You basically sprinkle a little powder into the ear once a day for a week or so. It's fantastic stuff yet my vet didn't know about it at all.

Sadly in my case Oreo did have further problems with her allergies in her feet but it maybe that you can catch this early and it will be the end of it.

Failing that, I would also try a change of food for a while. I have found that foods that contain soy, milk, cereals, and gluten tend to cause a lot of problems and are the main cause of many allergies. Might be worth a try?

Hope that helps.

cadac21 is offline Junior Member

Just had a look at the Pro Plan food ingredients:

Chicken, corn gluten meal, brewers rice, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), poultry by-product meal (natural source of glucosamine), whole grain corn, corn germ meal, fish meal (natural source of glucosamine), animal digest, fish oil, dried egg product, salt, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, calcium phosphate, Vitamin E supplement, choline chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.

The bits highlighted in bold are what I would call problem ingredients. A dog shouldn't be eating wheat etc too regular so a food made that lists the second main ingredient as gluen meal is not one I would be happy with.

Again I am no expert but I would be looking at a cereal and gluten free food, maybe a little more expensive but it may just work for your dog.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bigbrownsmom is offline Senior Member

Maybe the first infection was never totally gone

Thanks for responding, I appreciate the input.
    Smokey 4/25/2012

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    ...Where do I start? Food? Having him tested? Or see if this two week course of meds works it out? (Yeast infection, both ears)...

I started with the food when Caleb's ear problems started. I suggest trying something grain free, preferably potato/sweet potato free, too (the starch in root vegetables can trigger ear infections in some dogs). And, remember- results from a food switch can take some time.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Did the vet do a culture on the infection? If you don't know the type of infection, it may have been improperly medicated. And I agree - it may need a longer course of meds.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Did the vet do a culture on the infection? If you don't know the type of infection, it may have been improperly medicated. And I agree - it may need a longer course of meds.

Yes, it is a yeast infection. And it smells bad this time, last time it didn't smell.

ETA: She did a culture but was pretty certain it was yeast.
    Last edited by smokey; 04-04-2013 at 06:50 AM.
    Smokey 4/25/2012

puppymakes4 is offline Member

Hi Smokey,

Our 2.5-year-old lab, Scout, suffered from chronic ear infections until last summer. (We chronicled all of our struggles here: And Puppy Makes Four). What finally helped Scout was switching to a gluten-free, meat-free food: Wellness CORE Oceanfish. Scout's ears cleared up within two weeks, and she has been infection free since last fall--HUGE for us considering she was in and out of the vet's office almost once every three weeks with yeast-based ear infections. We did a food test with Scout: cut all treats, and switched to this food. We avoided anything with the big allergy draws for Labs per our vet: beef, chicken, rice, corn, soy. After her ears cleared up and we were convinced her infections were gone, we reintroduced each of these ingredients one by one, until now we're pretty sure that Scout is allergic to chicken. Our vet has said that it could be that Scout was either allergic or had a fish-oil imbalance, and that's why switching her to the oceanfish food helped. Either way, this was a huge difference for us.

We also added a medicine that our vet researched and found that is meant for dogs with chronic ear infections: Zymox. Amazon.com: Pet King Brand Zymox Otic Enzymatic Solution for Pet Ears, 1.25 Ounces: Pet Supplies

We give Scout one drop in each ear on Tuesday and Thursday nights every week. Her ears, which were previously so inflamed and dirty, are wonderful now.

I would start by getting the current infection cleared up. Then, do your own food trial. Eliminate everything from the diet except your base dog food, which should be as free of the above foods as possible. Feed this and nothing else for 8 weeks. After 8 weeks, if your dog has another infection, you'll know that it's something related to either environment or food, and you can continue to whittle things down until you find the culprit. We did this instead of having Scout tested through the vet, because it was cheaper and we could control things. Scout probably had about 8 ear infections in a year, or more. We honestly lost track. We spent over $2k on vet bills that year just for ear infections—we really needed a solution!

I hope this helps,
    Ashley
    Last edited by puppymakes4; 04-08-2013 at 12:53 PM.
    Follow Scout's adventures on her blog: And Puppy Makes Four