Just Labradors banner

Heart worm pills online

3K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Unearthed 
#1 ·
Has anyone purchased heart worm pills online before? I'm considering purchasing them online this year.

#2 ·
I haven't, but they are the same brands. Our vet has similar prices so I don't worry about it. In the US you need a prescription from the vet (although I think an "ok" phone call will suffice), not sure if its different in Canada. If the price is lower, I would do it.

#5 ·
Thanks for your comments.

Yes I'm aware they need to make a living however I don't know if anyone know that here in Canada everything is "WAY" overpriced. What you pay for a bottle of aspirin, about $5.00, we pay over $13.00. We pay double for most items. Everyone was looking forward to having a Target but we don't get the Target prices. I've included a link to Marketplace where they did an investigation on prices in Canada. I'm looking at $450 just for 3 dogs on heart worm because they won't give it to us unless you come in and pay the examination fee.

Price Tag Confidential - Marketplace

Wow, sorry I've gotten way off of topic. Thanks again for your comments

#4 ·
I haven't purchased heart worm medicine on line, but I get Frontline Plus from Amazon. About $28 (with shipping ) for a 3 month supply. Last time I bought it from my local vet, it was $22 for one month. I'm aware that they have expenses and have no problem supporting local businesses, but that's some mark-up. If I can get comparable savings on heart worm med...I will get it on-line as well.

#6 ·
My sister in law and niece were commenting on how they get thier yorkies heart worm/flea and tick meds from 1-800 ped meds. All they need is a prescription from the vet. And how much cheaper it is. They were saying they use something that is all in one, anyone heard of something like this?

#7 ·
Nope, never buy that stuff online.
The guarantee that Heartgard has (if your dog does get Heartworm while on Heartgard they will pay 100% of treatment cost) is only valid when purchased from a vet.
Heartgard always has coupons available and I get tons of them from them so it wouldn't be that much cheaper for me....plus I like the peace of mind of having that guarantee.

#10 ·
Where do you get the coupons? Can you use them at your vet?

The only thing i get from my vet is a rebate of $12. However, I bought a box over 6 months ago and still have not received the rebate check from Heartguard... uggg.... Vet submitts the rebates and they are checking into it.

I wish Interceptor would come back. You submit your own rebate and always get the check.

#8 ·
You should still do a blood test on the dogs every year, maybe two even if you get the meds online. I have never gotten meds onlien but have gotten heartworm thru the rescue (as opposed to the vet). But fosters still get a full vet visit and blood test to confirm heartworm status.

Have you looked at other vets? A quick blood test done by a vet tech is generally all you need to get the meds.

Do you not do yearly wellness checks?

#11 ·
I used to get something from the Vet that was a beef flavored cube, it covered Heart worms, round worms, hook worms, fleas, ticks.....not sure if that's all or not. This was like 15 years ago and cost around $135 a year, which included the heart worm test. I don't remember the name of it. Or of the vet. The vets here (I've moved since then) say they don't know what I'm talking about. So??

#12 ·
If you are already doing wellness checks they shoudl NOT need to go in for a full visit to get their heartworm. At most the vet should just ask for a blood test every 1-2 years before starting, which can be done by a vet tech (keeping cost down) and then give you heartowrm meds.

If they are requesting a full vet visit I would change vets or fight it. that's nuts. I think a tech visit is $30-40 for me, the blood test is a snap test so not expensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.