Science diet sensitive systems
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Science diet sensitive systems

thebigv21 is offline Junior Member

DefaultScience diet sensitive systems

I have read several posts concerning this food. I have a 3 year old. He has been scratching since he was a pup. I have tried everything. He was on sd sensitive and just scratching a little. I switched to pro plan salmon and started scratching like crazy again. Someone told me I should bath him in medicated shampoo because it sounds like he has dry skin? I am hesitant because of oils in skin. When I brush him in summer there are flakes at times. What do you recommend. Vet said probably food but I am sick of trying different foods. Anyhow it seems like science diet sensitive has calmed him down somewhat again. Also have a bulldog and she eats anything. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

Maybe you should ask for a referal to a Dermatology Vet. Has your Vet suggested anything other than food trials? Have you actually done a food trial? How do you know for sure whether the itching is food or environmental allergies?

My boy has seasonal allergies to pollens and grasses. He's fine all winter on the same food he itches on all summer so we're pretty sure it isn't the food. Actually, food is not as common an allergen as environmental things are, in my readings. For a while Reactine helped, then Reactine with Prednisone. Prednisone is not good stuff so last year we went to Atopica. It's not good either but it's the lesser evil. We decided to NOY try homeopathy ( my Vet is a Homeopathetic Vet) and NOT allergy scrapings and shots because, according to my Vet, while we would be trying one of those we could not use anything else that might confuse a trial and then the poor dog might be scratching himself raw in the meantime. I agreed but I am re-thinking the Derm Vet.

Oh, I did find a shampoo that helped and I want to try more of it this summer. This one: Furrever Devoted Medicated Dog Shampoo at PETCO

FWIW my dog has harsh, dry coat and mild dandruff no matter what I feed him so I add EFAs which help immensely and are a first line of defense to use in conjunction with other aids, again, as per my readings, and as an adjunct to the Atopica.

Good luck. I do think you need a little more investigation before deciding on a course of action. Also FWIW, if the much maligned Science Diet worked for my dog and I could get him off expensive and not without side effect drugs I'd do it in a heartbeat.

NanM is offline Senior Member
    Conquest, NY--near Syracuse and Lake Ontario.

I have had three cats/dogs allergy tested--my vet sent blood to Spectrum Labs. The dogs had digestive problems and the cat had skin problems. It is much easier to treat allergies to food; environmental allergens are much harder to avoid. The testing is expensive but you are given a list of substances to which the animal tests positive and a very useful list of commercial and prescription foods that do not contain any of your pet's food allergens. I would first see a vet dermatologist if one is available to you because they can do skin scrapings and biopsies.
    Nancy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Have you tried going grain free? What about selecting different proteins? Some dogs cannot tolerate chicken or beef, etc.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I'd advocate grain free and/OR a limited ingredient diet (one novel protien, one novel carb - like duck and sweet potato). IMO, if you are concerned about a food allergy, reducing the ingredients in the diet to help determine what the problem is makes sense.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

I have tried limited ingredient diets. Salmon. Sweet potato, venison, duck. It seems like his coat looks better on the science diet. He bites himself to the point where patches of fur are missing. As far as airborn allergies, there isnt much i can do about that is he goes outside? He sleeps in family room. My daughters room is down there as well and she had nosebleeds because of dry air. I am thinking his skin is dry. I also read to add olive oil to his food a few times a week or give fish oil supplements. All i know is it is driving us crazy

labby is offline Senior Member

Do you use fabric softener or fabric softener sheets? Check your environment since your daughter is having issues as well.

Laura

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Have you tried a humidifier?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Humidifier is in daughters room. No more nose bleeds. Not where max sleeps that is why i am thinking he has dry skin

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Try adding a can of sardines each week and 2 or 3 human salmon oil capsuels daily to see if it helps. I would also do as Sharon suggested and try grain free, limited ingredient food. Fromm makes some great ones. Good luck to you!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast