16 Month old
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 16 Month old

ScubaDM is offline Junior Member

Default16 Month old

Hi, I have a healthy and happy 16 month old yellow Lab. She's not very big... only 60 lbs but her mom and dad were not huge either her daddy dog likely only weighed 70lbs and her momma dog looked maybe 65. I think she'll top out around 65.

That's not my question though. I am really having a tough time getting a food she will continue to eat. I've tried dry and canned Innova several variety's and she wouldn't even touch it. I tried Blue Buffalo Winderness dry and Blue Buffalo canned... she ate the dry for a little while then stopped and wouldn't touch it. I gave her Avoderm for a while she ate it at least part of the time then I got concerned with the avocado ingredient and stopped that. For the last 4 months I've been feeding her Vital Essentials pasteurized raw. She really doesn't like it all that much... she'll eat it if I prod her to eat. But sometimes she won't eat it and I throw it away and put down some more the next morning. If she doesn't eat it quickly, within 15 minutes, I take it up and put it in the frig for a few hours then put it back down. Usually she'll eat the day after the day she didn't eat1. I won't keep it overnight I always use fresh daily.

I'd like her to eat her food though when I put it down every day. She's not hugely active.... normally we play an hour a day or so... she tells me when she is ready to play. She will bring me her favorite throw toy and drops it in my lap. I know that's not the normal 16 month old labs activity level but she's never really wanted to run around THAT much. She doesn't go crazy or anything so I think I just got lucky and got a calm lab

Back to the subject! I'm not keen and going on a buy everything on the shelf food hunt to find a food she likes and will eat every day... anyone have a food they have found labs like 99% of the time? This is her at 10 months.... isn't she a healthy gorgeous pup!

Marley 10 Months.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

My dog was a lot like that as well. He was very picky and often not finishing a bowl of food or skipping meals.
    I will tell you that our dogs are the exception. Most lab owners say their dogs will eat anything at any time.
    I have had the best luck with the Fromm 4 star grain free foods. This is the only kibble he will reliably eat meal after meal. Don't know if it will work for your girl or not.
    My 2nd best food was Acana, but by about 2/3 through the bag he was loosing interest and I was having to add toppings (canned tripe, stella and chewy's patties - he loves both of those).
    It's supposed to be bad to bribe the dog, everyone will tell you they won't starve themselves, but I am happier now that he eats his darn kibble regularly. He seems happier as well and is doing really well thus far on the Fromm. I've been feeding it for about a year and just rotate through the flavors.

Thank you Dek... I had no desire to start a round robin food buying deal. I'll try the fromm. Oh, and yeah I was very surprised I had a lab that I had problems getting to eat foods. Normally they will eat wood I've heard the "Oh, they won't starve themselves" thing as well and I'm sure it's true. Doesn't make you feel any better when your pups been a day or two and has not eaten. She will eat the raw stuff... sometimes right away sometimes it takes me a few hours of putting it down, putting it in the frig, putting it down again before she'll eat. Sometimes like tonight I have to throw her a few pieces and let her catch them and eat them before she'll actually stick her nose in the bowl and eat it all. It's just I'd like her to eat her food and since she's so picky I need a food I can leave down and not be so afraid of Bacteria... well not "so much" afraid of it as I am with raw.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

No 2 labs are alike, granted many are pigs and will eat anything but some are not as interested. As long as she is healthy and eating when hungry I would leave her be, trust me she will not starve herself! It is the same with energy levels, they can run the full spectrum and again, as long as she is healthy I would not stress about it. I would be careful changing the food frequently. If she ever developed allergies to food you may find yourself in some trouble trying to find something she hasn't eaten that will work. Otherwise just enjoy her and be glad your home, yard, furniture and personal possessions are intact!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

citronella is offline Senior Member

Just a suggestion, even though she isn't the active type she might still eat better after a good walk. My Bentley is part lab/basset/corgi and he is not food motivated. He will not eat if he hasn't gone for a walk, it just seems that he hasn't worked up an appetite if isn't walked. Might help yours if he goes for a good walk and then fed.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Oh, I didn't say everything was in tact Tammy She does have separation anxiety. She is calm most of the time while I am there with her and follows me around right on my heals. But let me leave and she is way better off and happier in her kennel. It was my mistake but I let her stay out while I was working on a friends car in my garage. I was concentrating on doing what I was doing but I was hearing something from the house.... it didn't register with me through so i was ignoring it. Finally my friend say's "what is your dog doing?" So I open the door and she had decided it was a good idea to try and dig under the door leading into the laundry room which was between the garage and the short hall leading to the family room. Now that little hall is devoid of carpet Typically though yes my furniture is all in tact she shows no interest in chewing on anything like that. She has plenty of chew toys though, the Kong's because anything else is NOT Marley certified and she will destroy it. She does NOT like for me not to be there and feels safer in her kennel when I go somewhere.... she even goes into it when I pick up my keys. She's a smart one.

As far as changing her food I don't do it much. The first year of her life yeah I was trying to find something she would eat. Most of it she would not even touch I kid you not. She did eat two or three brands for a couple of months then decided she wasn't going to eat them either. The food she is on now she's been on for 6 months. That being the pasteurized raw Vital food I give her.... she does eat it and if it was just she wouldn't eat it a day every now and then i wouldn't worry. But what bothers me about it is that a lot of the time I have to pull it up put it in the frig for a couple of hours then put it back out etc. Till she eats.... bothers me because it's raw. Yeah pasteurized kills the bacteria when it's packaged but after it's opened you have to be very careful how long it's out. I wash her dish before I use it with anti bacterial dish soap etc but if it stays out too long it could get some bacteria.. I really just want a kibble that I can get her to eat on a regular basis because I'm concerned about bacteria. If she chomped the raw down immediately I wouldn't be worried but she takes her sweet time dry kibble can stay out a LOT longer than the stuff I give her now.

But yeah your 100% right I don't want to switch her every week or anything!
    Last edited by ScubaDM; 04-02-2013 at 06:46 AM.

Yeah Citronella... I typically play with her every afternoon. That's when she brings me her throw toy. She'll chase the Kong bone I throw for her, she likes it because it will bounce and she likes jumping in the air to catch it, until her tongue is hanging out full length. Usually an hour or so then lets me know she's done.... she goes to the door to the house stops and turns and looks at me I know it sounds as if she has me trained but that's really not true. Afternoons is when I always played with her from the beginning. I work from home so i had her kennel right by my desk during the day I'd take her out to go to the bathroom several times but when i quit work for the day we'd go outside to play so I basically trained her that our play time was the afternoon. I do take her for walks sometimes too but not every day. I'll try that though... if she's not eating I'll wear her out some more and see if that helps

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Take a look at the grain free Fromm formulas.
    They smell incredible....I have been tempted to taste them.
    I rotate all 4 formulas....my girls go crazy for Fromm.

justine is offline Senior Member

The more you switch her food around, the worse you are making the issue. I have a picky eater and it's taken me 5 years to find a food that she will consistently eat for more than a couple of weeks.

My suggestion would be to stick with a "regular" kibble - like chicken and rice. Set her food down in the morning (plain, nothing added). Give her 10-20 minutes and if she doesn't eat it, she gets nothing until dinner time. If she only eats half, then it gets taken away after 10-20 min and she'll get the next meal. It's hard to "stick to your guns" when your dog won't eat, but that's the best suggestion I have. Some dogs "get it" in a day or so, when others may need a few days to get hungry enough.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaDM View Post
    Oh, I didn't say everything was in tact Tammy She does have separation anxiety. She is calm most of the time while I am there with her and follows me around right on my heals. But let me leave and she is way better off and happier in her kennel. It was my mistake but I let her stay out while I was working on a friends car in my garage. I was concentrating on doing what I was doing but I was hearing something from the house.... it didn't register with me through so i was ignoring it. Finally my friend say's "what is your dog doing?" So I open the door and she had decided it was a good idea to try and dig under the door leading into the laundry room which was between the garage and the short hall leading to the family room. Now that little hall is devoid of carpet Typically though yes my furniture is all in tact she shows no interest in chewing on anything like that. She has plenty of chew toys though, the Kong's because anything else is NOT Marley certified and she will destroy it. She does NOT like for me not to be there and feels safer in her kennel when I go somewhere.... she even goes into it when I pick up my keys. She's a smart one.
    Lol! My lab, Ozzy, who I lost almost 2 years ago.and his partner in crime, Emma, once DESTROYED a leather sofa and love seat! Emma also suffers from S/A and is terribly afraid of fireworks, gun fire, loud voices and thunder. Last year I got her a Thunder Shirt and it made a world of difference. I wish I had done it 6 years ago!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast