Incontinence in 2.5-year-old spayed female

Thread: Incontinence in 2.5-year-old spayed female

puppymakes4 is offline Member

DefaultIncontinence in 2.5-year-old spayed female

Hi all,

Our dog, Scout, will be 3-years old in August. We have noticed recently that she is having some incontinence issues. Last Sunday, she had an accident while she was sleeping on the couch—she (and us) didn't even realize it had happened until she got up. We immediately took her out to the bathroom (she peed), but she had another accident again three hours later, also on the couch. So, we took her to the vet on Thursday to make sure that it wasn't a UTI or something of the like.

Our vet ran tests, and everything came back negative. We believe that she is having moments of incontinence, and we agreed that we would keep track of it and, if the accidents continued or increased, we would discuss putting her on medicine. Since Thursday, Scout has had one accident a day. We're concerned that this is going to continue, as it does not show any signs of letting up. All accidents have happened while she was asleep on the couch. From what we can see (and smell), she has not had any accidents at night on her bed or in her crate.

Has anyone had any good experiences with medicines or herbal remedies for incontinence? I've read both good, and very bad, things about Proin, a common medicine for incontinence. I'm curious what everyone elses' experiences have been. I found this supplement online, too, and we're thinking about trying it out:

Nutri-Vet Bladder Control: Dog Supplements at DrsFosterSmith.com

Any feedback is very appreciated!

(FYI: Scout has a hooded vulva. She was spayed before her one-year birthday, and had we realized this at that time, we would have corrected it then. Unfortunately, we didn't. This is my husband and my first dog, so we're learning about all of this for the first time. Because of the hooded vulva, we clean her often in order to prevent UTIs and keep her clean. So far, so good!)
    Follow Scout's adventures on her blog: And Puppy Makes Four

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

We had this issue with Emma after she was spayed. Our vet put her on the Proin for 6 months. Since taking her off she has had the very rare accident, much less, volume wise, than before the meds. I was not keen on keeping her on the meds any longer than necessary. Just to be on the safe side we put blankets down where ever she lays so if she does have an accident the blanket just gets thrown in the wash, luckily our furniture is leather. We do the same on our beds, using 2 blankets and folding them over. I also use mattress protectors on the beds. Works for us. Good luck!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

bett is offline Senior Member

i use RESOURCES Canine Incontinence Support (120 Tablets) (and that is the cheapest price), along with chinese herbs from pawhealer.com.
    i tried using tofu, but she started chewing her feet. also did cornsilk drops and marshmallow drops. i figured if the holistic doesnt work i can always go to pro in.

this stuff works (knock on wood).dry for months.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Hi Tammy and Bett,

Thanks for your replies. We started Scout on NutriVet Bladder Control—one pill a day, which is half of the recommended amount for her weight, but we've seen good results since starting it. As long as one pill a day will help, we'll keep her on the lower dosage. I appreciate your responses!

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Just an FYI for future or anyone else reading this, I don't know what you meant by "... and had we realized this at that time, we would have corrected it then" but I am taking it as you would have surgically corrected the problem? Actually, if you had let the pup go through one heat, those things usually correct themselves naturally.

You may want to look into giving cranberry pills but I am not sure it will help with the incontinence. It often happens when you spay too early.

TBGSAM is offline Senior Member

I didn't like the side effects of prion either when our previous vet prescribed it for Tootsie. Instead we just give her 425mg of plain cranberry in capsule form once a day takes care of it for her. I did see the fosters and smith had something but I can get crancaps at our local CVS for less.

Our Sarah had a little bit of a pee pee bug fold but we still spayed at 6 months. She actually had 2 UTI's before we spayed and knock wood have had one since.
    Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05, Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13

bett is offline Senior Member

vangie wasnt spayed until she was two, and had a couple of heats.
    didnt seem to matter.
    drats.

Hi LuvBrown,

I meant that we could have fixed it surgically, or opted to wait until after her first heat to see if it corrected itself naturally, as you mention. Thank you to all who mentioned the cranberry pills! I'll look into that. So far, Scout seems to be responding well to the Nutri-Vet Bladder Control supplements. We're giving half the recommended dosage for her weight (1 pill instead of 2), and she does not seem to have any side effects.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Surgery should never be the option if waiting through a heat will most likely fix the problem.