Science Diet Foods
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Science Diet Foods

DefaultScience Diet Foods

Hi,

I am looking at the Natures Best Science Diet dog food for my 4 month old puppy. Anyone have any thoughts? I am using Authority right now, but I like that the Natures Best is all natural. Since she's 4 months, should I keep with the puppy food or switch to adult? I hear mixed messages on switching - younger so they don't grow too fast, older so it doesn't stunt them....yada....yada....

please help. I want to start switching asap (but slowly, don't worry). And considering I just bought a new bag I have not opened yet, I can switch it before she finishes the opened bag.

thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

That's better ingredients than the plain Science Diet.

BUT, I'd prefer a Large Breed Puppy formula.

You might google "Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy" for ingredients and store locations. (Definitely NOT plain "Diamond" -- that has poorer ingredients.

Or google "Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover" and see if they have a LBP food.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

goodguy is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't feed either one. Both primarily are made up of grains. They both are mostly grains such as wheat and corn and not so much meat. Rice is decent... Wheat commonly causes allergies... Soybean meal is a cheap source of protein also a common allergen. Beat pulp some feel is a cover up for rancid animal fats and commonly causes allergies.
    I wouldn't feed either one of these. I would urge you to seek a higher quality food. Something with less grains, no soy, and more meat.. Grain free is good, but I realize that it's not fit for some. Check out this website it really helps you realize how the ingredients in your dogs food can affect them...
    http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

This ALL being said if the food works for you and your dog with no issues than don't fix what isn't broke...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Personally, I wouldn't touch Science Diet foods- they're too grain heavy. Plus the other formulas (Science Diet and Hills Prescription Diet) have chemical preservatives. In general, I'm also not a believer in the large breed puppy foods. I like an all breed puppy food.

Quote Originally Posted by goodguy View Post
    ...Grain free is good, but I realize that it's not fit for some...
    A heads up on grain free foods- if I remember right, the protein is too high for puppies under 2 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by goodguy View Post
    ...This ALL being said if the food works for you and your dog with no issues than don't fix what isn't broke...
    Ditto what he said. If she's doing good on what you're feeding, no need to change. I didn't like what Caleb's breeder had the pups on (Eukanuba), but when I tried a 50/50 mix to try to switch his food, he got the runs. So I kept him on that unitl he was almost 6 months old, then I gradually started switching him over to the adult food I wanted him on.

Quote Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't touch Science Diet foods- they're too grain heavy. Plus the other formulas (Science Diet and Hills Prescription Diet) have chemical preservatives. In general, I'm also not a believer in the large breed puppy foods. I like an all breed puppy food.

A heads up on grain free foods- if I remember right, the protein is too high for puppies under 2 years old.

Ditto what he said. If she's doing good on what you're feeding, no need to change. I didn't like what Caleb's breeder had the pups on (Eukanuba), but when I tried a 50/50 mix to try to switch his food, he got the runs. So I kept him on that unitl he was almost 6 months old, then I gradually started switching him over to the adult food I wanted him on.
    This is true regarding protein and puppies on grain free... I forgot about the puppy part...

Thanks for the recommendations. I am going to try the Diamond Naturals. It will actually be cheaper than Authority in the long run....which, meaning a college student, i'm grateful for.

Quote Originally Posted by amandajean1 View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations. I am going to try the Diamond Naturals. It will actually be cheaper than Authority in the long run....which, meaning a college student, i'm grateful for.
    This is a much better option then your previous 2 choices... Good luck!

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Use the "DN" store locator link to find stores in your vicinity.

BUT be aware, there's no "fixed price" on "DN" and it'll help your budget to shop around for best prices. FWIW, I suggest the Chicken & Rice unless there are allergy problems to the chicken. Lamb is usually the meat source of last resort.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post

Orijen has a grain free LB puppy food. Other grain free foods though, Wellness and EVO, are not for LB puppies due to the Ca:P levels. After talking to nutritionists at each company, they both agree it's okay to switch after one year.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by YellowJakesMom View Post
    Orijen has a grain free LB puppy food. Other grain free foods though, Wellness and EVO, are not for LB puppies due to the Ca:P levels. After talking to nutritionists at each company, they both agree it's okay to switch after one year.
    Calcium to protien too high or low in Wellness and EVO?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast