Can I get some clarification on fish oil please?

Thread: Can I get some clarification on fish oil please?

mrogers is offline Senior Member

DefaultCan I get some clarification on fish oil please?

Misty our rescue is still having very dry skin. She isn't itchy but since I am allergic to dander having her covered with it is really causing me a lot of problems. The food she is on contains Omega 3 but apparently it is not enough. I just read all past posts about fish oil supplements and sardines in water and am not sure how to proceed. If I dump sardines on her food once a week, does she need vit E (as one post mentioned that Omega 3 depletes Vit. E over time)? Have people had better luck with sardines or capsules? If I do human capsules which are much more reasonably priced, how do I dose a 74 lb. dog? If anyone has answers I would appreciate it, I intend to try to start her on one or the other tomorrow.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

You can dump the sardines, in water, on her food once a week and give her a human fish oil capsule as well. Dander and dandruff from dry skin are 2 different things.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

Perhaps your house is too dry for her and extra humidity would help? If you have the heat on what does your hygrometer say? The colder it is outside the higher the inside humidity needs to be. Most hygrometers have a chart to guide you.

Be careful with the Vit. E., if you go that route. I read posts about that too but I could find NO credible research to support that contention and NO definitive answer on how much to add. I could find lots of information on the warning about excess Vit E. affecting blood clotting and warnings of potential bleeding problems.

FWIW I give my dog three of these a day: Omega 3-6-9 1,200 mg | Jamieson He's about 72 pounds and it seems he needs this version, with the flax and borage derived EFA. Twice when I ran out and gave him stuff derived only from salmon oil there was a marked decrease in his coat quality. He needs this no matter the food he is on and now he is shedding and he has a bit of dandruff anyway but I know it will clear up soon. Good luck on this, your own allergy problem exacerbates this, doesn't it?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

thanks a lot for the advice. She has both dandruff and dander. Dander most of the time, dandruff when I brush her.
    Our house is humidified but dogs are outside in garage with dog run during the day while we are gone and so it makes sense as our garage is likely very dry. I really hope these supplements will help. She doesn't seem uncomfortable or itchy, I am the one suffering.
    I hate to destroy my own liver with all the meds I am taking for allergies and headaches so hopefully we can get this skin problem under control.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I have terrible dander allergies. At the moment I can't wear my contacts as my eyes water too much. Tessa is having the same problem so not sure if it is environmental as well as the dogs. Neither is blowing their coat which usually sets me off. Neither have dandruff.

When they have dandruff I give a can of sardines 3 times a week. It used to be in natural oil, but see now it is advises in spring water. I also put coconut oil in Tessas food to help with her allergies.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

We give Sophie human cod liver oil caplets. One-twice a day. They are the Twinlabs brand. She likes them, and pops them with her teeth. She had dry skin and itched all the time. We put her on a grain free diet and started the fish oil. We have since found that she can eat wheat and rice but not corn.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

got another air purifier for kitchen area where Misty is most of the time. At least right now I can be in my house without being miserable/panicky (asthma) thanks to purifiers. She has had one dose of sardines and two days of fish oil capsules... I will post again if we notice a difference. I know she wasn't like this when we adopted her in Oct. so it must have been the dryness of Winter and lack of natural oils in her skin that just got worse and worse until we noticed how bad it had become. Hoping all the advice here helps and we can live happily ever after

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I am glad your air purifiers are helping. I am sure the sardines and fish oil caps will do the trick. Hopefully all is back to normal in no time.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

update: it may seem unbelievable but I think the fish oil has helped in just one week. There is noticeably less dander on her back where she had it mostly all the time. Now there is just a little left on neck (collar area) and small amount on her shoulders and top of back legs. Her elbows are much less dry and when I separate her hair the skin underneath has more of a pink tint to it instead of flaky whiteness. It was quite warm here today so she had an oatmeal shampoo bath and then I sprayed her with leave on conditioner.
    If we can get this worked out, get the house aired out this summer, and then keep her on it year round, next winter should be much easier on my allergies. thanks a TON for all the advice about the sardines and oil capsules, it is so nice to be able to breathe again!

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

I believe it. I swear there was a difference in Oban in one week and a negative difference when I ran out of the flax and borage variety and used the salmon only one. Twice.