Dew Claw Removal?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dew Claw Removal?

Bill&Scout is offline Junior Member

DefaultDew Claw Removal?

First time poster here. Loving this site. My yellow lab Scout is going in next week for her spay and I am thinking of having her dew claws removed at the same time. Any recommendations for or against? Cost is not an issue.

Thanks!
    Scout, Yellow Lab, "Cuddlecake" 2012-
    Maggie, Black Lab, Best Friends Forever 1998-2009

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. -- Anonymous

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

Don't IMO.

Recent research shows that Labradors do actually use their dew claws in some circumstances.

I also know that some dogs have ripped their dew claws off when hunting, but I consider that to be an occupational hazard not a reason to whip them off !

Susan_MLL is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bill&Scout View Post
    First time poster here. Loving this site. My yellow lab Scout is going in next week for her spay and I am thinking of having her dew claws removed at the same time. Any recommendations for or against? Cost is not an issue.

Thanks!
    ABSOLUTELY NOT (caps for emphasis not yelling) NO NO NO

Dew claws are taken off a 2-4 day old puppy and if not done DO NOT take them off. It's so painful you can't imagine. In the literal sense of the word, it is NOT done unless they are 2-4 days of age.

Danika & Eva

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

It's too late now. As Susan said, the time to do it if you're going to do it, is at 2-4 days of age. I don't remove dewclaws on my puppies. They are the dog's thumbs and yes they do use them.

Laura

Crystal87 is offline Senior Member

I'm not the OP, but I definitely appreciated reading these comments. I've been dealing with A LOT of criticism from my in-laws about Jaxx having his dew claws and me not having them removed.

Jaxx - 12/5/12
    Missy - 12/29/12

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Contrary to what common belief is - this is not like clipping a nail. It is amputation of a digit. It would be terribly painful for your dog. Don't do it.

And - good on you for asking the question!
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Susan_MLL is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal87 View Post
    I'm not the OP, but I definitely appreciated reading these comments. I've been dealing with A LOT of criticism from my in-laws about Jaxx having his dew claws and me not having them removed.
    I used to have them taken off but like Laura I stopped years ago. Something that may help you is if you google images and put in off balance dew claws (something like that) you can find pictures that show how the dogs are actually off balance and what happens when they don't have their thumbs. That may help you with the criticism you are getting. Also, maybe you can tell those folks you are on a forum with breeders having a total of.... hmmmmmmmmmmmm I dunno combined ALL of us maybe 70-100 years LOLOL I have no idea.. but the point is we make up a lot of years and don't do them. I will again say however I do think this is an individual breeder choice and I also bet there are breeders on here that do have them taken off. If you look in a show ring today, you will probably find 50-75% of the dogs still have them. Used to be thought it was necessary.. like everything else things are just advancing. I give in my puppy packets information on this.. speaking of which..

Maybe Laura has on her woodhaven forum where we all get so much information from, documents on this that would help you??? Laura might be able to tell you

Danika & Eva

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

This is what persuaded me..... check out the link in the first post.
    https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/l...ighlight=claws

Bill&Scout is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the advice everyone. After careful consideration, I have decided to keep the dew claws. Scout is five months old; I don't want to put her through any unnecessary pain.
    Scout, Yellow Lab, "Cuddlecake" 2012-
    Maggie, Black Lab, Best Friends Forever 1998-2009

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. -- Anonymous

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

5 months is awfully early to spay. Have you done research on early spay/neuter?
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast