2yr old lab needs surgery for luxating patella
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2yr old lab needs surgery for luxating patella

specialk1979 is offline Junior Member

Question2yr old lab needs surgery for luxating patella

We are scheduling surgery for our 2 yrs old lab, we realize that he will need strict restrictions on exercise/jumping etc. While this is not a problem, the fact that he has a 7 month old little hyper brother is. Any suggestions on how we can keep them from rough housing or really having any interraction? They are extremely close, play constantly and snuggle together..we are in desperate need of advice!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

baby gates to keep them seperated, crate and rotate, keeping one or both on leash (tether to you). Don't let them out in the yard together. Maybe consider an x-pen for the 2 year old (though the teenager may be able to "break in" the x-pen)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Those are great suggestions! We have a "playpen" however the 7 month old can jump it (he's full of it). I do think that will be a great break from the crate though, as long as we are home.I really appreciate your input, this is not going to be a fun 10-12 weeks..that's for sure..He is use to sleeping with us, they both are and its gonna be tough for him to adjust.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

I would suggest an ex-pen that you keep in an area of the house that you spend the most time in, so he can still be part of the "action".
    My girl had back to back ACL repairs and was restricted for 9 months.....she was 13 months old and also had an 8 month old sister.
    Java stayed in the ex-pen while she recovered, but because it is a wire pen she was still able to interact with Moka on the outside. They had some great bitey face sessions through the ex-pen!

You'll be surprised how quickly the recovery time passes....just please be very strict with the restrictions. It is very important to the healing process.
    Like I said, Java was restricted to her ex-pen for almost 9 months while she recovered from her knee surgeries...it was a long process necessary for a successful recovery and well worth it.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Make sure to bring the 7 month old for lots and LOTS of play/exercise. having lost his partner you will likely have to work at getting the beans out (dog parks, off leash hikes, sign up for an obedience class to get him brain tired!).
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Susan_MLL is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by specialk1979 View Post
    We are scheduling surgery for our 2 yrs old lab, we realize that he will need strict restrictions on exercise/jumping etc. While this is not a problem, the fact that he has a 7 month old little hyper brother is. Any suggestions on how we can keep them from rough housing or really having any interraction? They are extremely close, play constantly and snuggle together..we are in desperate need of advice!
    I believe your vet is going to send you home with a full set of directions. I may be mistaken but I believe part of it is going to be crate rest, very similar to TPLO surgeries, for quite a while. It's going to be important that you follow the vet's instructions to the T and I really mean the T. It's so difficult to do and it's horrible for the dog but it's going to either make or break the recovery of your dog. When I say crate, I mean crate all day and all night other then when out for the leash walk. I have not had the surgery you are about to do but I have had to go through 2 full TPLO. I followed exactly and today you would never know they ever had surgery. When you do just like everyone has suggested, take that dog separately and ensure the other is not around. I don't want to sound negative but I want to forewarn you the instructions after surgery are terrible, depressing and will make the dog fairly upset. But your baby is young, and doing this will have a wonderful outcome for the rest of her life and that is what is so important. If your vet says the first week NOWHERE but a crate other then to take for leash walks, that is exactly what you have to do. IF nothing works down the road, x pens because they still go crazy for each other, you may again have to bite the bullet and put them in totally separate rooms and continue using the crate for recovery. Best of luck with the surgery. Please know that I really do not have any experience with your surgery and I'm giving you this information based on TPLO but it seems to me it's very much the same.
    Last edited by Susan_MLL; 03-18-2013 at 12:51 PM.

Danika & Eva

Thank you for all the helpful advise. I think we will try a combination of crate/rotate, tethering the little one to us (along with added excercise) , and using the xpen as it is a wire one so they could atleast sleep on each side of the pen together. We will do our best to follow instructions to a T. The pup having surgery would be absolutely no problem keeping quiet on his own, but his brother is the playful type!

The surgery he will have involved deepening the groove in which the kneecap sits in...is that same as TPLO?

Samson is offline Senior Member

When Jasper was recovering from TPLO he had a 4' high xpen and my other dog didn't even think about trying to get in !

I know how stressed you must be but the reality is far better than the anticipation from my experience but you have to change your routine to accommodate the pup !

Quote Originally Posted by specialk1979 View Post
    Thank you for all the helpful advise. I think we will try a combination of crate/rotate, tethering the little one to us (along with added excercise) , and using the xpen as it is a wire one so they could atleast sleep on each side of the pen together. We will do our best to follow instructions to a T. The pup having surgery would be absolutely no problem keeping quiet on his own, but his brother is the playful type!

The surgery he will have involved deepening the groove in which the kneecap sits in...is that same as TPLO?
    Yes, reality is they are the same. I can only tell you what my vet had me do and the first 5-7 days there was NO x pen allowed. When I say that dog was in the crate 24/7 other then the very short leash walks. I mean it. Now, every vet is going to be different. All I know is IF your vet says NOTHING but a crate to keep the dog from walking at all the first few days, listen to that and do not use the x pen. I also would not recommend letting them sleep next to each other if there is any possibility the more active one will try to play. I have a question. you mention x pen.. do you mean a crate.. an X Pen is something different from a crate. Or do you actually mean a wire x pen? If you do, NO they can not be near each other because within an x pen they can move and jump around.

Danika & Eva

xpen.jpg

This is an x pen, not a crate and as you can see clearly there would be way too much movement for the doggie that just had surgery

Danika & Eva

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast