Tendonitis in shoulder-what to do?

Thread: Tendonitis in shoulder-what to do?

bman's mom is offline Member

DefaultTendonitis in shoulder-what to do?

So my friends have a 6+ y.o. female lab who injured her shoulder about a month ago. Vet said it's tendonitis with calcifications and to keep her confined. Friends are trying to limit her movement, not letting her go up and down stairs, etc. but she's not getting much better. Pain meds helped but they ran out. Anyone ever dealt with this type of issue, what did you do and did you use anything besides pain meds that helped? This girl is bman's sister so I'm really concerned about her. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

No, but, would calcifications be an arthritis? I only know what we do for people with tendonitis, and it varies depending on where it is. My OH wears a cuff that helps when his elbow flares up. For myself, when a piece of over calcification broke off in my neck (well that's what I was told) I was in a lot of pain for about 3 months. I went for physio, massage but what made the biggest difference was accupuncture. I'm sure you can't decide on such a course of action without input from the Vet though. Did the owners tell the Vet they needed more pain meds?

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I had a calcified tendon in my shoulder and was given a cortisone shot and exercises to break it up. Worked quickly.

It is extremely painful and (to my understanding) just does not go away with rest. You might want to recommend that your friend find an orthopedic vet for a second opinion and treatment.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

I second the recommendation for an ortho vet.

Laura

bman's mom is offline Member

Thanks for your input. I don't know if they've asked the vet for more pain meds. Their vet was suggesting surgery to remove the calcifications and he would send them to an ortho, he wouldn't do the surgery himself (thank God as I do not think too much of their vet-I've had other friends who have had extremely bad experiences with him). Their vet has given two cortisone injections already and the owners haven't seen much improvement from that. I will suggest the acupuncture and see what they say, I'm sure I can get a recommendation from my own vet for a good acupuncturist. Any thoughts about hydrotherapy?

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Frankly, I would not do another thing (treatment) until an Ortho vet saw the dog.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Ortho vet before they spend too much more time and money.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

My Chiropractor uses ultrasound device to blast up the calcification on the bone. Works great.

For tendenitis I take 100 mg. of B-6 2 x/day and after a week or so cut down to 100 daily. It really gets rid of the pain. My chiro taught me about it.

Ask the ortho about the B-6. I would think 50mg 2x/day for a dog.