Need some help please

Thread: Need some help please

Renzo is offline Junior Member

DefaultNeed some help please

A few day back somebody on this forum told me that 4 cups of food for my 11-month old (well he will be a year old in one week) was too much. That made me go a little deeper into the subject and once more there are as many opinions as dogs owners. My vet say that I should use the charts in the back of the food bags so he does not offer a very clear answer. So as always, after doing some homework around the web, I come here and ask the real experts, the forum that offers hundred of years of Labrador ownership. Can you please help me on this subject. Should I now switch to adult food? any experience with any food that you guys want to share with me? This are my dogs stats.

Height: 24 in at the withers
    Weight: around 85 pounds
    Food: Grain free Wild wilderness (kibbles)
    Quantity: 4 cups. Right now I am dropping to 3 cups
    Activity level: Around 40 minutes a day that includes some fetching and one mile of fast walking and running with me on a bike so I can keep up with him. Do not want to go any further because he still very young (can I go more that one mile at his age?)

Thank you so much before hand,

Alfredo

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Amounts of food required varies from dog to dog. You want to always feed to body condition and not a set amount.

Google "ideal dog body weight chart" and look at the images. You want to be able to easily feel ribs but not see them. Food amounts will vary depending on activity level and age of the dog.

I would advice against running with a lab under two years of age. Fetching is ok but forced exercise on a bike or running with you can put a lot of stress on joints and can lead to serious problems down the road.
    Deep Run Traveling "Takoda" (12/05/12)

Deep Run Easygoing Ezekial "Zeke" (04/13/17)

Susan_MLL is offline Senior Member

Have you spoken to your breeder about any of this? Maybe that would help you out too. I can tell you that many times I have puppies that easily eat 4 cups per day (2C am and 2C pm) however, each individual puppy has to be looked at individually. Nobody here can really say if that's too much or not enough. I also have bred males that weigh that much at that age. The question becomes is he heavy? can you post a picture of him standing up and you take it from the side showing his entire body from head to tail? That way at least we have something to judge him by. IF you do not feel he is heavy, if you feel he's doing really well, why would you change? What I do not at all agree with is it go by the bag of food. That is not correct and does not take genetics and each individual puppy into consideration. Regarding adult food, yes you can slowly switch him to adult food at this point, take your time so he does not get the runs but your breeder would be able to tell you which food might do best for him (or maybe you already know what food) I would also be careful with the running daily with you on a bike.. it may be a little much for a puppy still. Remember 12 months is still a puppy.

Danika & Eva

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mocha is offline Senior Member

Maggie is 7 and 70pounds and we feed her 1 cup in the am and 1 cup in the pm. She does get a few treats during the day. But 85 pounds sounds big for a 1 yo.
    To err is human, to forgive, canine.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

as others said, each dog is different so the back of the bag is just a general guide, some dogs need more or less based on their body and exercise. Can you feel her ribs without applying too much pressure?

I would never run or bike with a dog before they are 18 month of age, the repetitive motion on hard surfaces damages the growing shots (they are still growing). At that age exercise should be lots of free play/running/playing on softer surfaces like dirt or grass or sand.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Susan_MLL is offline Senior Member

I was reading the dog is male which is why depending on genetics it is possible he's in good weight even at this young age. A female,, no that would be too heavy but I do see "he". Really need a picture of him to help more

Agree totally on the "repetitive motion on hard surfaces"

Danika & Eva

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

You could definitely switch to adult food now.
    As the others said, the amount you feed depends on how your dog looks and how much exercise he gets, as well as on how many calories in each cup of that particular food.
    My boy gets between 3.5-4 cups a day and weighs 88 lbs.
    He is not at all overweight, but for other dogs this amount could be too much.

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mocha View Post
    Maggie is 7 and 70pounds and we feed her 1 cup in the am and 1 cup in the pm. She does get a few treats during the day. But 85 pounds sounds big for a 1 yo.
    True this is large but there are many this size now. My Nellie was 88 pounds at 8-10 months when I rescued her. She has stayed pretty constant at about 100 pounds since a year of age. She is all muscle with not fat on her.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi