Kirkland dog food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kirkland dog food

martymonty is offline Member

DefaultKirkland dog food

Our breeder feeds the puppies the Kirkland dog food, she swears by it and has never had any issues even during the recall. She has told us this is a good quality dog food and that
    we should keep our puppy on it once we are home with him. I am a bit nervous since the dry dog foods were recalled. Anyone use this food during the recall as well as now and would like to let me know what your thoughts are on this food. I have another 4 year old lab at home and would like to put them both on the same food once the pup has adapted to the food.
    While I'd like to feed the better quality food, having two large dogs, it's just not feasible so I am willing to feed them a good brand. Any other ideas of what we could try, please forward the brand name.
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Send a pm to bette. She almost lost one of her dogs during the last recall and it has only been through her devotion and hard work, her vet and various meds and herbs that she has just recently gotten him back on a good track. She went through hell.
    Last edited by tammyhuffman; 03-11-2013 at 11:53 PM.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

bett is offline Senior Member

yeah, i used it during the recall.
    the rest is history.

thanks for remembering tammy!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I used to feed it for years and did not realize it had been recalled. I lost my black lab female during that time, she was 14, I came home and she was gone. I can't say for sure that was the cause but when my chocolate male started having siezures at 9 years old and the vet could not find a cause I stopped feeding it. Again I have zero proof this food caused either of my dogs problems but personally I would not feed it again.

I am now suspect of many ingredients and processes used by many companies. A lot if this is just research I did the last few years on food and food processing, both for my dogs and research on human food production. I feed a wholistic food now made by pinnacle but I am considering moving to raw feeding soon. Again this is just my own feelings and experience. There are a billion opinions on food and you will just have to weigh them all and come to decisions you are comfortable with. Dog food advisor is a good site to get started at and whole dog journal also puts out a yearly review of foods as well, both are good resources to review when deciding on foods.
    Deep Run Traveling "Takoda" (12/05/12)

Deep Run Easygoing Ezekial "Zeke" (04/13/17)

can I ask Bette what happened. How can we check for sure on foods that have been recalled to see if the "problem" has been resolved.

Dog food advisor has an email alert list you can sign up for. It will email you about food and treats that have been recalled either officially or by voluntary means by the company. The FDA also maintains a list of officially recalled foods.
    Deep Run Traveling "Takoda" (12/05/12)

Deep Run Easygoing Ezekial "Zeke" (04/13/17)

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Schell & Kampeter (S&K) makes Kirkland, Diamond, and a variety of other brands:
    * Canidae Pet Food - (Canidae is no longer produced at Diamond)
    * Solid Gold Health Products for Pets
    * Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Pet Foods
    * Taste of the Wild Pet Foods
    * Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul
    * 4Health (Available only at Tractor Supply Company)
    * NutraGold Super Premium Holistic Formulas

S&K has 3 manufacturing facilities:
    -- one is in Gaston, South Carolina which distributes primarily to the east coast and the eastern midwest;
    -- a second is their home plant and office in Meta, Missouri, which distributes primarily to the middle, central section of the USA;
    -- and the third is in Lathrop, California, which distributes primarily to the western third of the USA.

The problems S&K has had have been almost solely in their Gaston, SC, plant -- distributed to the eastern third of North America.

S&K's Gaston, SC, plant had problems with Aflatoxin contamination in some products in 2005 and these were recalled.

Aflatoxin, a fungus, is carried by contaminated corn (and nuts, etc.) and the fault was definitely caused by shoddy Quality Control at the Gaston plant. Corn is not used in Kirkland kibbles but it was in some Diamond and other label products. (S&K's resident dietician & veterinarian, Meta, MO, told me in personal communications that the people responsible had been replaced and stringent quality controls were put in place.)

Aflatoxin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But again in 2012, recalls of dog kibble produced in S&K's Gaston, SC, plant were also recalled due to the presence of Salmonella contamination.

Kirkland dog kibbles (the "house" brand, sold only in Costco member-warehouse stores) are fairly similar in formula and ingredients (but better, IMO) to Diamond Naturals (but not plain Diamond -- the "plain" Diamond version contains corn, grains & poorer ingredients). I've fed Kirkland products for over 10 years without any problem. I feed it because the ingredients are excellent and its price is great. And, since most of the problems have been in S&K's Gaston plant, those products aren't usually distributed in my two-thirds of the country.

But with only one dog with a small, refined appetite, serving dog food from large, 40 lb. bags is a problem.

Puff does not like (will not eat) stale food so I've found, by many trials and errors, that the best way to handle a Kirkland 40 lb. bag of kibble is, immediately on opening, to transfer its contents, in to 10-11 one gallon plastic Ziploc freezer bags and seal each one. (The empty paper bag makes a good storage receptacle and contains Lot numbers for reference in case there were recalls.)

Whenever we get down to only half a bag, I buy another. An advantage is that gives me about 1 1/2 months advance warning about any
    dog food recalls. I can check the lot #s on the storage bag if needed. So far, there's been zero need and zero recalls of any food we've had.

Works for us.

IMO, my deciding to NEVER buy Kirkland would be VERY similar to, say, my deciding to NEVER buy a Ford vehicle IF, say, their Focus brand (made in Hermosillo, Mexico) was recalled or IF, say, a Ford truck (made in KC, Mo) were recalled for some problems. But I AM suspicious enough of the quality control at S&K's Gaston, SC, plant that for any products made there over the next few years, I'd probably buy Kirkland label products 2-3 months in advance of needing to use them (so I could check recalled Lot #s before using it). But that wouldn't stop me from buying such great quality at such favorable prices.

For more information, see: Diamond Pet Foods - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 03-11-2013 at 09:58 PM. Reason: insert link
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Quote Originally Posted by martymonty View Post
    can I ask Bette what happened. How can we check for sure on foods that have been recalled to see if the "problem" has been resolved.
    I have 3 labs and all got sick.the first had bad diarrhea.didnt think much of it. The food was recalled, i called diamond 2x and they reassured me, tho it was from that plant, it wasnt that batch. Second one got sick, throwing her guts up, maybe 3 weeks later.meanwhile the recall was spreading, so i called again. They gave me their vet to speak with and she kept telling me my dogs didnt have salmonella. I never said they did. And vangie, the barfer didnt want to eat the food, kept circling the bowl, taking the kibble out and dropping it on the floor.im thinking she's becoming fussy until she barfed her brains out. 2 weeks later, rex, my oldest boy, poops blood, with clots. By now, im sure it's the food and now diamond gives me the head vet.my vet now thinks i'm right.head vet again tells me it's not salmonellag and i again say that i didnt say they had salmonella, which, by the way, is difficult for dogs to get.meanwhile, people are now getting it, from touching the kibble.a 6 month old baby is hospitalized.

Rex's liver levels are4x normal.i go to an internist, who listens to my tale, does an ultrasound but cant do the needle biopsy because she tells me that he's in liver failure, blood isnt coagulating. I have bills up the whazoo, and diamond is jerking me around so while im getting jerked, i get my ipad and email 'ask asa' at ch 2 news.diamond asks for all my bills but is still not admitting anything.4 hrs later hazel sanchez, reporter for ch 2 calls and asks me to tell her what's going on.i do and she says 'would you be willing to go om camera?'. Sure. 2 hrs later she and her crew, all dog owners appear and interview me( at 630 ). That night im on the 11 oclock news.with all 3 dogs.rex took meds for the camera.the next day or so, i call diamond again, and head vet reluctantly tells me i should be getting a call from someone they turned ' my case' over to. Meanwhile the internist tells me to enjoy rex, cause he's in liver failure. Next day i get a call from a sweet, young woman,( their insurance company) also had 2 of her own dogs, and she questions me, tells me to keep sending her rex's bills. Blood tests every 2-3 weeks, i start him on vile prescription food, sam-e, and milk thistle. In about 6 weeks his levels go down to 2x normal.

I'm now even more sure that he got sick from tainted, toxic food and both vets are agreeing. I search for an eastern vet ( chinese herbs) but the only one is 2 hours away. I research till i think im going blind and find a website where they concoct herbs for the illness you describe and by dog's weight.rex had lost 20 lbs and looked like it was curtains.after 6 weeks on the herbs, along with all the other stuff, and now it's thanksgiving time( started end of may, i think) and we have normal numbers. All along im talking with the insurance lady, sending the bills, which are now nearly 4 grand. I decide, to settle and they pay me.i continue the stuff, his levels went down even more and he gained more than the 20 pounds he lost. My vet is amazed, the internist is scratching her head and rex turned 11.

Needless to say, i am a huge fan of chinese herbs, and now am home cooking for him, and trying to get him to lose about 10 lbs.
    Im completely paranoid, would never feed anything remotely connected to diamond, and the other two are eating fromm. A family run company for a long time who never had a recall. Their customer service, if you have questions, which i did, was very very good.
    So that's my story.
    Last edited by bett; 03-11-2013 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr. View Post
    Schell & Kampeter (S&K) makes Kirkland, Diamond, and a variety of other brands:
    * Canidae Pet Food - (Canidae is no longer produced at Diamond)
    * Solid Gold Health Products for Pets
    * Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Pet Foods
    * Taste of the Wild Pet Foods
    * Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul
    * 4Health (Available only at Tractor Supply Company)
    * NutraGold Super Premium Holistic Formulas

S&K has 3 manufacturing facilities:
    -- one is in Gaston, South Carolina which distributes primarily to the east coast and the eastern midwest;
    -- a second is their home plant and office in Meta, Missouri, which distributes primarily to the middle, central section of the USA;
    -- and the third is in Lathrop, California, which distributes primarily to the western third of the USA.

The problems S&K has had have been almost solely in their Gaston, SC, plant -- distributed to the eastern third of North America.

S&K's Gaston, SC, plant had problems with Aflatoxin contamination in some products in 2005 and these were recalled.

Aflatoxin, a fungus, is carried by contaminated corn (and nuts, etc.) and the fault was definitely caused by shoddy Quality Control at the Gaston plant. Corn is not used in Kirkland kibbles but it was in some Diamond and other label products. (S&K's resident dietician & veterinarian, Meta, MO, told me in personal communications that the people responsible had been replaced and stringent quality controls were put in place.)

Aflatoxin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But again in 2012, recalls of dog kibble produced in S&K's Gaston, SC, plant were also recalled due to the presence of Salmonella contamination.

Kirkland dog kibbles (the "house" brand, sold only in Costco member-warehouse stores) are fairly similar in formula and ingredients (but better, IMO) to Diamond Naturals (but not plain Diamond -- the "plain" Diamond version contains corn, grains & poorer ingredients). I've fed Kirkland products for over 10 years without any problem. I feed it because the ingredients are excellent and its price is great. And, since most of the problems have been in S&K's Gaston plant, those products aren't usually distributed in my two-thirds of the country.

But with only one dog with a small, refined appetite, serving dog food from large, 40 lb. bags is a problem.

Puff does not like (will not eat) stale food so I've found, by many trials and errors, that the best way to handle a Kirkland 40 lb. bag of kibble is, immediately on opening, to transfer its contents, in to 10-11 one gallon plastic Ziploc freezer bags and seal each one. (The empty paper bag makes a good storage receptacle and contains Lot numbers for reference in case there were recalls.)

Whenever we get down to only half a bag, I buy another. An advantage is that gives me about 1 1/2 months advance warning about any
    dog food recalls. I can check the lot #s on the storage bag if needed. So far, there's been zero need and zero recalls of any food we've had.

Works for us.

IMO, my deciding to NEVER buy Kirkland would be VERY similar to, say, my deciding to NEVER buy a Ford vehicle IF, say, their Focus brand (made in Hermosillo, Mexico) was recalled or IF, say, a Ford truck (made in KC, Mo) were recalled for some problems. But I AM suspicious enough of the quality control at S&K's Gaston, SC, plant that for any products made there over the next few years, I'd probably buy Kirkland label products 2-3 months in advance of needing to use them (so I could check recalled Lot #s before using it). But that wouldn't stop me from buying such great quality at such favorable prices.

For more information, see: Diamond Pet Foods - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hard for ME to compare the recall of a ford to my experience and part of the reason is because diamond jerked me around, the recalls grew, 2 plants closed, and my dog nearly died.
    And now, knock on wood, he's fine.
    Remember many years ago when audis ( i believe the fox) started jet propelling themseves? They, meaning audi, assumed responsibility, got rid of the fox, redid whatever was wrong and the company thrived.
    I am probably on my 6th audi, since they fixed the problem.
    Customer service.
    No b.s.

Wow! that is some scary stuff, glad to hear your dog is alright. how can I find out which plant the Kirkland dog food is manufactured at in my local Costco. I am in Niagara Falls, Ontario and our store is in St. Catharines. Have to really check this out, I would not be happy to have my new pup on this and something were to happen. I do believe in giving anyone a second chance, but I need to make sure that whatever problems existed with this dog food was taken care of and no longer a problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast