Broken Toe With Big Bone Chip and Looks Like They Want To Amputate Toe - Please HELP!

Thread: Broken Toe With Big Bone Chip and Looks Like They Want To Amputate Toe - Please HELP!

bojanduo is offline Junior Member

UnhappyBroken Toe With Big Bone Chip and Looks Like They Want To Amputate Toe - Please HELP!

Our 4 year old female black lab Marli broke her toe (front left paw #2 toe). We have seen the x-rays and they are pretty clear with a nice break but also a big bone chip floating around. She has been on two rounds of pain meds and an antibotic but once it wore off, she's back to a prominent limp. Our vet believes that amputating that toe and removing the bone chip is our next best bet. Can anyone offer advice? Should I seek a second opinion? I just want her to get back on track. She retrieves our newspaper every morning but with her bum toe, she's not much for play time.
    Thanks much!
    Maria

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

What has been done for the break? Is she in a cast? Do you have her on crate rest when not pottying? Shouldn't she be off the foot as much as possible to allow it the knit?

I would think that surgery would be necessary to remove the bone chip.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I don't think amputation of a toe would be a big issue, the dog would likely never know the difference...

But agree with the above, we had a foster dog break a toe and she was in a cast for a few months (at least a full month) and on rest for that entire time (no playing, no running, potty breaks on leash)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thank you so much for your reply. They want to remove the large chip because it seems to be causing swelling and friction. I believe that since they are going in surgically that an easier option to the break would be to remove the one broken toe. I was told that a broken toe has to heal on its own and its been over 6 weeks and she is not making any progress. She weighs 95 lbs and trying to heal that broken weight bearing toe would be questionable. I go in again for the consultation about the surgery tomorrow. I felt like this was our only option but I an to ask a lot of questions. Thanks again for your reply. I'm going to cross my fingers!

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

They haven't recommended or done anything for the break? I've never been through it with a dog, but that doesn't seem right. Before amputation, I'd get a second opinion. It's got to be hard to see her in pain, I'm sorry you're going through this.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

From what I understand, a broken toe usually can heal on its own but in her case, they are more concerned with the bone chip causing pain. They have to surgically remove it so amputating one toe is what they are suggesting. She is the center of our world and we just want to do what is right! Thank you for your concern and I am hopeful I will get some more answers tomorrow when we return to the vet.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

grt a second opinion (from another vet) - as you are concerned. i would probably remove the bone chip then get the toe to her toe to heal. but i can see why one may amputate at the same time.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Henery&Ollie's mom is offline Senior Member

Henry broke a toe in his right front paw when he was about 5 months old, and then one in his right back paw about a year later. Each time, he was put in a rigid splint for 6-8 weeks and only allowed short, leashed walks to pee/poop. The toes both healed, though now, 10 years later, he does have a bit of arthritis in the front paw.

I'm sorry about your girl, but if you're concerned, another opinion from another vet wouldn't hurt. I can see why they would want to remove the bone chip, but not sure I understand why they would amputate the toe as well.

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

I had a dog that had a tumor in his toe and he had to have it amputated. No problems. Just in case it comes to that.