First time pet parent. Please help

Thread: First time pet parent. Please help

cookiesmama is offline Junior Member

LightbulbFirst time pet parent. Please help

Hi,

I just soo love dogs and we have recently welcomed cookie into our family.. He just so adorable. Only problem which we are facing these days is with his toilet habits.. He does it everywhere in the house. We have not bought a crate for him till now, i dnt like the idea of putting him in a jail like crate.. I just want suggestions and help to potty n pee train my puppy sans the crate. Please do help me with this.

PS: cookie is 100 week old and we are from India.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TracyJaxon is offline Junior Member

Crates actually help with potty training and its not a jail but view it as a safe place for your pup that with time he will love! It's his special place! Good luck!

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

What exactly about the crate makes it 'jail' like? If used appropriately it is a dog's best friend. It really helps with house breaking a pup and keeps him/her safe.

On another note, how often do you take your puppy out to potty? A puppy should go out every 30-60 minutes and right after they wake up, have a play session or start giving their sign. Also about 10-15 minutes after eating and drinking.
    Are you using an enzyme destroying cleaner on the in house potty spots? If not, the smell will stay and the puppy will associate that area as a potty area. I like Nature's Miracle Stain and odor remover.
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TracyJaxon is offline Junior Member

Takes a lot of patience and many many trips outside but in the end it's worth it!

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Keys to house training:
    - take puppy outside often. praise and reward BIG TIME when they go. start training a potty command (go pee, or something less embarrassing)
    - supervise puppy when inside. EYES ON PUPPY. If eyes are not on puppy because you are busy, either tether puppy to you so they follow you or crate the puppy.
    - crate when you cannot supervise. crate should be just big enough for puppy to get up and turn around UNTIL they are fully potty trained
    - take puppy outside OFTEN.
    - learn puppy's cues. there are always cues. a way of sniffing, a way of walking....
    - learn puppy's shedule. If you feed on a shedule and exercise/train on a schedule, the puppy will likely pee on a shedule (more or less).
    - take puppy outide OFTEN
    - do not crate puppy longer then they can phyically hold it in. Generally that mean an hour per month of age.
    - properly clean ALL accidents with an odour neutralising product. vinegar or a product like nature's miracle. regular household cleaner do not do a good job of this.
    - take puppy outide OFTEN
    - puppies pee often, when they wake up, when they are playing (while in play a dog will pee more often), when they eat, etc. etc. any change of activity usually means a pee!
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky