New Puppy with Microphthalmia
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: New Puppy with Microphthalmia

  1. #1
    OneEyedDog is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3

    DefaultNew Puppy with Microphthalmia

    Hi all,
    I'm new to this site and am hoping for some advice. Two weeks ago, we picked up 2 lab puppies that we had been waiting a year for. They were 8 weeks old at the time. One puppy was just fine - the other seemed to have something very wrong with one eye. We were told by the breeder that this was due to rough play between the pups and should clear itself up. I had some bells and whistles going off and I'm an AHT so definitely knew better !!!! I should have refused the puppy at that time..... of course I let my emotion rule my head.
    Anyhow, flash forward 2 weeks. We have done a tear stain test with our vet and there is a non-functioning tear duct in the right eye. The left eye appears to have Microphthalmia. The right ear is oddly shaped - with what looks like a bite out of it and the puppy's back legs seem very bowed to me. I've attached a picture of his eyes. He is otherwise quite sweet and intelligent but somewhat aloof.
    The breeder will take the puppy back and give us a full refund. My husband has also asked about a discount but I'm not sure anything but 'free' would be enough of a discount for me. If I thought the puppy would end up with a good home I would feel better about returning him but I know that with his defiiciencies, the breeder is likely to have him euthanized.
    I'm having a very ethical dilemma about this decision. My own vet has recommended that full diagnosis would not be possible without a visit to an Opthamologist but we are 1100 km away from one and I'm just not willing to put any more money than I already have into this puppy if I'm not sure we're going to keep him. Based on full photos and veterinary clinical findings, I've had 3 vets recommend he go back but once again my emotions are getting in the way of a decision.
    If anyone has been through something like this and has some advice or personal anecdotes to offer, I'd sure be grateful.
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Susan_MLL's Avatar
    Susan_MLL is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Welcome and congrats on the pups.

    Your vet is absolutely right. IMHO if you're not going to be willing to take your puppy to the "eye dr" and do what is further needed, really you need to take the puppy back to the breeder and get your full refund. Perhaps you should do this anyway. Based on your post it seems your gut is already telling you want to do but your emotions are getting in the way of following those instincts. Guts are always right, listen to it. You are noticing things off, other things.... this could end up something you just did not bargain for and yes it's sad but in these situations we have to face reality. If your breeder is standing behind the puppy, (as any breeders should) and has offered you the return of the puppy for a refund.. take the puppy back. Looking at that picture,, he's way off.

    Good luck

    Danika & Eva

  4. #3
    tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SE, PA
    Posts
    5,794

    Default

    I don't have any advice for you, just wanted to say I am sorry you are facing such a tough decision. I would also have a hard time returning the puppy, especially if I thought the breeder would put it down. I don't think I could live with that but I totally understand your dilemma.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

    Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    11,990

    Default

    IMO, this should not have ever gotten this far. A responsible breeder would have had that puppy examined prior to you picking him up and the defect would have been revealed then. He should not have even offered you this puppy.

    I'm sorry that his negligence has put you in the position of having to make this decision, but, I think he needs to be returned.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

  7. #5
    Susan_MLL's Avatar
    Susan_MLL is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    IMO, this should not have ever gotten this far. A responsible breeder would have had that puppy examined prior to you picking him up and the defect would have been revealed then. He should not have even offered you this puppy.

    I'm sorry that his negligence has put you in the position of having to make this decision, but, I think he needs to be returned.
    I completely agree with this too but didn't say it.

    Danika & Eva

  8. #6
    OneEyedDog is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3

    DefaultThanks to you all for your valuable advice

    A thousand thank-you's to everyone who responded to my plea for advice. You have all confirmed what I know in my heart is the right thing to do. I needed to hear it from others though because it really is a heart-breaker. Over my lifetime, I have rescued many dogs and cats - most with issues that I was fully aware of (including the costs to resolve them if they could be fixed). I've certainly never balked at paying whatever veterinary costs were necessary to help these animals. This is the first time I actually purchased a purebred and I didn't expect to have to deal with all of this right out of the gate. I take responsibility in that I know I should have refused to take the puppy when I was at the breeder's.

    Thanks again to all of you. Your thoughts and comments were appreciated more than you could know.

  9. #7
    TBGSAM is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    837

    Default

    Is there any way the breeder would consent to turning the puppy over to a reputable rescue? I guess I just couldn't imagine turning him back over to his breeder knowing he will be put to sleep. Maybe a blind dog rescue would be willing to accept him if the breeder is willing to release him.
    Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05, Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13

  10. #8
    Jenylynne's Avatar
    Jenylynne is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    SE PA
    Posts
    237

    Default

    So sad all around. Wishing you peace with your decision and hoping that the pup will be given a chance somewhere.
    Jen


    Cleo, our black beauty


    Zeus, our yellow, mellow, fellow

  11. #9
    LuvBrown is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    830

    Default

    Sorry to hear of your trouble with the puppy. For future, reputable breeders do not sell 2 pups at the same time. The breeder should refund your money and allow you to keep the pup because the likelihood is that a BYB isn't going to do what it takes to make sure this pup is fixed so that it can lead it good life. I would press for that. And since you mentioned "KM", are you in Canada? You might be able to report the breeder to the KC.

  12. #10
    Susan_MLL's Avatar
    Susan_MLL is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuvBrown View Post
    Sorry to hear of your trouble with the puppy. For future, reputable breeders do not sell 2 pups at the same time. The breeder should refund your money and allow you to keep the pup because the likelihood is that a BYB isn't going to do what it takes to make sure this pup is fixed so that it can lead it good life. I would press for that. And since you mentioned "KM", are you in Canada? You might be able to report the breeder to the KC.
    I truly don't mean to "start" anything I just wanted to mention that reputable breeders will sell 2 pups at the same time. I have, I do, and I always would. I also know many others that have and would again. Certainly the situation has to be right but 2 pups can work beautifully. I like the idea of perhaps keeping the refund money and putting it towards medical expenses, ONLY IF that would work.

    Danika & Eva

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Cleft palate boy puppy and possible constipated girl puppy.
    By Nessa in forum Lab Health and Nutrition
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 05-28-2013, 03:34 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-27-2012, 10:08 PM
  3. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-29-2009, 08:38 PM
  4. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 06-05-2006, 10:52 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25