worming and flea protection
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: worming and flea protection

Helen&Belle is offline Junior Member

Defaultworming and flea protection

Hi everyone,

Just wondering what is the best combination for worming and flea treatments for a dog.
    I was told about the 12 month injection but i have read sooooo much bad information about it so i have decided not to do that.
    I was giving her revolution but I was thinking about going onto Interceptor and then using Advantix???
    anyone have any information???
    Belle is 19 weeks old and weighs about 17.4kgs
    Vets are giving me so much useless information and i would really rather making an informed decision for my fur baby.
    Thanks in advance
    Helen

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I don't like the shot idea at all and haven't really heard anything good about it. I would stick to the heartworm preventative and use the Advantix as needed.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Susan_MLL is offline Senior Member

I agree, I don't like the idea of the shot either. I'm not sure I am understanding why your vet is not specifically telling you what he suggests or recommends, regardless monthly heart worm and advantix. We worm the dogs a bit differently. Pet owners perhaps once a year and if you are concerned you can always have a fecal done. (if you run a fecal once a year, check for Coccidia and Giardia too, never hurts to double check)

Danika & Eva

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks so much
    Though I have done a bit more research and found advantix isn't great if u have cats and as Belle' s little boyfriend is a kitten, I'm going to have to go the advantage instead.
    My vet was so vague I'm going to change he is on his own planet.
    Thanks

LizT is offline Junior Member

I really like TRIFEXIS. It protects against flees, heart worms, and 4 types of intestinal worms. It's a monthly pill and I have been using it for over a year. Living in a place with almost constant mosquitoes and risk of heart worm infection, prevention is a main concern for me. I don't have a single complaint except maybe the price ($24 per pill) but it is completely worth it!

Liz, Interesting about Trifexis and working well for you. Not all dogs do well on it. I have puppy families that ended up with an issue. I have never used it, I'm not exactly sure why some react, I just know some do. No reason for you to switch if you don't have a problem, just mentioning it.

Danika & Eva

Susan, I hadn't read about any of the problems people have been having with Trifexis. However now that you've mentioned them, I looked up some articles and this worries me, naturally. One has to wonder if it is the particular dog that has reactions to Trifexis or if it is a bad batch of the drug.

I am lucky to have never experienced any type of reaction but at the first sign of a negative effect, we will definitely be done with Trifexis. I haven't tried anything aside from Trifexis since it was the first thing the vet suggested for my pup but my next choice would be heart worm preventative and a liquid flea treatment.

Thank you for letting me know about the negative reactions! I really appreciate it. This information could save me a lot of confusion in the event that my dog does have negative side effects in the future!

image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by LizT View Post
    Susan, I hadn't read about any of the problems people have been having with Trifexis. However now that you've mentioned them, I looked up some articles and this worries me, naturally. One has to wonder if it is the particular dog that has reactions to Trifexis or if it is a bad batch of the drug.

I am lucky to have never experienced any type of reaction but at the first sign of a negative effect, we will definitely be done with Trifexis. I haven't tried anything aside from Trifexis since it was the first thing the vet suggested for my pup but my next choice would be heart worm preventative and a liquid flea treatment.

Thank you for letting me know about the negative reactions! I really appreciate it. This information could save me a lot of confusion in the event that my dog does have negative side effects in the future!

image.jpg
    Liz, you're welcome!! I'm thinking you will be fine, I would "assume" if your baby was going to react, it would have already happened. The families (4 since it came out) the pup reacted almost immediately. It did not get serious, they contacted me, I suggested the vet immediately and the vet changed it. Something else to keep in mind, different dogs react to different things. No different then kids.. :-)

Danika & Eva

ohh i have never even heard of that... i live in australia and i don't even know if we sell that here :S

It is called panoramis in Australaia but it does the same thing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast