So Many Different Kinds of Foods?

Thread: So Many Different Kinds of Foods?

Tanner/Kasey is offline Junior Member

DefaultSo Many Different Kinds of Foods?

I need help! I am currently feeding my 4 month old pup Purina One Smart Blend Puppy. We have tried other puppy store bought foods this is the only one he really likes. Long story short I would love to feed him the grain free foods like Taste of the wild and some of the other premium dog foods but with the amount he eats in a week and the cost per bag we simply canít afford it. What is the best food for the buck?

I have also heard of other people putting frozen peas and green beans in their pups food as fillers and extra treats. Is this recommended and at what age could you start introducing this to your dog?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Hi There and welcome to the board.

You could try Pro-Plan (not the shredded version) which is moderately priced and a good food. There is also Kirkland Chicken and Rice formula available at Costco. Typically, you need less of the better quality foods so while they may seem more expensive they may work out to be not that costly. Consider that most of the foods you find in a grocery store are lower quality, lots of fillers and very little of the protein is meat based. Not the best way to develop the structure and musculature of a puppy. IMO, Purina One, while not the worst food out there, is not a very good.

Green beans are good for filler when a dog needs some of the kibble replaced so that they can lose weight. Instead of using weight management food (which is chock full of fillers) you use the regular food, serve less of it, and add green beans to fill up the dog. Some add green beans for dogs who don't need to lose anything. I use them for one of my dogs to help extend his insulin uptake. Not really much of a reason to give them to a puppy IMO.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

labby is offline Senior Member

If he likes the ONE, then feed it. It's a decent food. Many of the grain-free foods have higher protein and calcium levels than is recommended for a puppy. I don't recommend them until the dog is done growing and over 2.

I do not recommend supplementing puppies with anything except their food. You might throw off the balance of the food which could cause growth problems for the dog. If you are feeding a quality food, you don't need to supplement, IMO. Doing so, even with an adult, can throw off the balance of the food. Most dog food companies warn not to supplement their foods. The only thing I will add is Glucosamine starting at 4 months.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanner/Kasey is offline Junior Member

I know I will get lots of answers with this question. How long should I feed the puppy food? I have read most of the posts and the answers are across the board?

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

I would stick to ONE if it's working. And regarding when to change, 6 months or so is a good time, usually after all the adult teeth are in is a good guideline. At that time, you might want to look at Pro Plan...they have some better formulas, but it's not so much of a change from ONE to cause problems with the dog.

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

I went from feeding my dog's Purina One and Beyond to Kirkland Signature Premium. Seems to have better ingredients at an affordable price. My 11 yr old corgi loves it. Feeding my 9 wk lab puppy the puppy version and he loves it and has nice solid poops!