Double-checking health stats on OFA site?

Thread: Double-checking health stats on OFA site?

MadforLabs is offline Junior Member

DefaultDouble-checking health stats on OFA site?

So, I'm trying to educate myself a bit more (after my recent breeder debacle, for those of you who followed that one). I have a question about checking the ofa website (offa.org) to verify a breeder's claims on health stats. What if you look up the dog on the site and what's listed is a CERF and/or an EIC, but there is no OFA listed? Does that mean the dog has not been tested?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

Sometimes a breeder won't send in the paperwork for eyes, or other health test. Hip, elbows must be scored by OFA, but eyes are done by an opthamologist (i hope I spelled that right?) and the breeder must send them into OFA with a fee to have them listed. Ask the breeder if the test are listed on OFA or if you can have a copy of the results.

Also, there is a time gap between OFA listing the results and when the breeder gets results back.

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

Susan_MLL is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MadforLabs View Post
    So, I'm trying to educate myself a bit more (after my recent breeder debacle, for those of you who followed that one). I have a question about checking the ofa website (offa.org) to verify a breeder's claims on health stats. What if you look up the dog on the site and what's listed is a CERF and/or an EIC, but there is no OFA listed? Does that mean the dog has not been tested?
    Firstly good for you for doing this. Regarding the CERF (eye clearance) I can tell you that all my dogs are done and I don't have all of them listed on the OFA web site. When the dogs are done a form is given to us. This is an ACVO form. The copy we get, on the back of it, is where we fill out the information, pay another 10$ and send it in to Purdue (CERF) for the same thing but in the form of a different kind of certificate and then it goes to the OFA. There is no wrong or right in this. There is another way now to have them listed with OFA..... but regardless if they are not there it does not mean they are not done. Your breeder is able to supply you with a copy of the clearance form. Copies of all the clearances go right into the puppy packet. When you are originally speaking to a breeder, certainly you can ask to see copies. Regarding EIC, same thing. My kids are EIC tested, I do not have them all on the OFA web site but I have the certificates directly from Univ of Minn. Remember, Pre lims on hips/elbows are not listed, Cardiac testing may or may not be listed, CNM, etc...

Danika & Eva

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

What Susan_MLL said on CERF (I have a small private clinic here at my home tomorrow and of ~38-40 dogs, I bet only 10-15 will actually be submitted to CERF/OFA, the rest are just for our info as there is a litter of 10 puppies and several older adults that will be done mainly just for our breeders' records at this point). I do try to send my CERFs in if contemplating a breeding that year so it shows up as current on the database and AKC reg paperwork and peds.

But, regarding Hips and Elbows: The only other program for hips in the US is PennHip. They have no public database unfortunately, but OFA will accept their data now. Most don't list PH w/ OFA though, I've noticed. PH does not do elbows, so that'd be a big red flag ifor me f there was no elbow listing on OFA on a dog. Some breeders are breeding only on "prelims" which may or may not be listed on OFA (another red flag to me). Others are just sliding under the radar and duping their prospective puppy buyers and not doing a thing. So as Susan said, good for you for verifying.

Any established breeder should have a good database on hips and elbows especially-- it'll pop up if you plug in the kennel name in the search box on the left side of the page. The vertical pedigree function (once you find a particular dog) is also very telling as it'll show the generations preceeding the dog's clearances if present. Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

labby is offline Senior Member

I don't send in my eye clearances or my EIC clearances to OFA. I only send in my hips/elbows/cardiac. Double check the age of the sire or dam. If they are under 24 months (2 years), they cannot have a permanent clearance with OFA for hips or elbows. You can do the heart clearance at 1, but have to wait until 2 for the hips and elbows. If both parents are over 2 and don't have clearances on OFA then that should be a big old red flag for you.

Laura

MadforLabs is offline Junior Member

Excellent to know. The more you start looking at things, the more questions come up. It's great to get clear, expert answers!