Jake's not well at all
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jake's not well at all

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultJake's not well at all

My foster Jake arrived Sunday. He was doing well. By Tuesday he was playing with toys, happy, energetic playful. Wednesday same. Thursday he was mellow. just laid in bed. He ate slowly but he ate. (up until then he ate with gusto - i mean FAST, he inhaled).

He puked yesterday during the evening walk. I woke up this morning to more puke. He puked twice more today (two more sessions of puking) He refuses food, and treats. he is lethargic. I mean I have never seen a dog so lethargic. We are carrying him outside. he won't move. He gas his tail and kinda lifts his head up when you talk to him. when you get him on his feet he'll walk around a bit but still.

SO you are probably saying "GO TO THE VET!"

We were just there. Spent an hour and a half there and $600+ dollars. Blood tests are all pretty good. White cells are low but he just was neutered and stressed so that isn't unusual. red cells are in normal range and everything else. Even did a test for pancreatitis. All ok.

They x-rayed for blockage but saw nothing (obviously it could still be that). They are at this point convinced it is blockage. I'm not convinced it's blockage, at least not full/serious blockage yet. He pooped this morning (and normally before)

Thoughts? Could he just have an upset stomach and I spent all that money for nothing??
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MelCole is offline Member

First, may I say you did not spend the money for "nothing"... there's nothing more heart wrenching than seeing a fur baby who's ill. What comes to my mind:
    Could it be a food transition issue? I realize he's been with you for 5 days and generally it would show up prior to this, but, hey, every one is unique.

Is he drinking? And what are the differences between your water source and from whence he came? Going from non-chlorinated water to a chlorinated system can sometimes cause tummy issues.......

If you think there's a potential for blockage, is there then a potential for torsion? (deep chest, high & tight tummy??) and if so, do all you can to get some rice in to him (I dodged a bullet with a German Shorthair by coaxing him to eat rice -- there was enough weight in his stomach to keep it from rotating too far off axis and it righted itself) Try for something super-super enticing in some rice to see if he'll eat.

Did they give him anything for bellyache?
    That's all I've got right now..... if I think of anything else, I'll be back. Prayers for you.

he is drinking, not dehydrated (vet checked).

It COULD be food. Tomorrow I will try rice and beef (bland diet) and see.

They can give me anti-neasea meds and something to make him feel better yes, will see if I need to go tomorrow.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MelCole is offline Member

If you have Pepto in the house, you can give him that. Won't hurt him at all so long as he's drinking an appropriate amount of water. That he IS drinking has lowered *my* anxiety level tremendously....
    more prayers......

dogmom is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't give pepto without checking with your Vet. It can interact with some meds, such as metronidazole, which is commonly given to dogs with GI issues. Don't know what meds your Vet dispensed. Plus it contains aspirin which IF your guy does have a blockage could cause undue problems. Did the Vet give you a time reference for him to begin responding and or to bring him back? We have had blockages that were not clearly visible through radiographs but once in surgery found a hair blockage, grass blockage, nylons blockage and my personal favourite, greenie blockage. None of these were clear cut on xray but the clinical signs were there. Hopefully your boy has an upset stomach and will be feeling much better tomorrow.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Is it it possible he ate some of the tainted food or treats before getting to you? I know you take the best care of your dogs but you would have had no control over something that happened before he got to you. Just a thought..
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Tanya I would watch him closely and any more vomit would take him back.

Recently with the kebab stick Erns ate he was pooping. I knew something wasn't right when he didn't eat.All his signs were good, but my gut knew something was wrong.

Good thoughts coming.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

Prayers - they're all I've got at the moment - but they're going up for Jake. Update today please?

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

Poor Jake! Hope that gorgeous boy is feeling better.

he's not much better today. he gets up only to go to the washroom now and then. puked again today. He is pooping (last night and again today) but it is now diareah.

I have no idea what to do. The barium test to see if there is blockage is crazy expensive... The rescue prefers to try and coax the object out (should that be the issue)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast