Root Canal or Extraction for Canine Tooth?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Root Canal or Extraction for Canine Tooth?

  1. #1
    rhugill is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    5

    DefaultRoot Canal or Extraction for Canine Tooth?

    My 4 yr old lab. (4 on Tuesday) broke her upper Canine tooth.
    Our vet sent us to a veterinary dental clinic.
    Our choices were root canal or extraction.
    $2000+ or $1600+

    We do not want to make a decision based on cost here. We are truly at a crossroads on which way to go.
    If we do nothing it may just get infected and that would be a whole other nightmare. Izzy doesn't do well on medications so that is a big concern.
    Root canal has a lot of follow up to see if it gets infected or stays. So in the end it could need pulled.
    Extracting it seems like a horrible thing to do to a young pup. Both are difficult on the dog/anesthesia etc.
    (Both were covered under our insurance plan to a point and less deductible)

    The vets say she'll be fine without the tooth. The other vet suggested root canal to save the tooth but not a guarentee.
    I would hate to have her go through the root canal only to have it extracted later. More stress on the dog.
    Anyone have any experience in this? Can anyone shed any light on this for us?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    labby's Avatar
    labby is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    *points to her right palm*
    Posts
    29,548

    Default

    No experience, but I'd prolly extract it.



    Laura





  4. #3
    Belles mom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,543

    Default

    While I have no experience with doggie root canals, I'd have it extracted.


    Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Jenica's Avatar
    Jenica is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Newmarket, Ontario
    Posts
    629

    Default

    We stood in front of those options a bit over a year ago with Jenica. She had two pre-molars broken and the specialist gave us the choice between root canal and extraction. The specialist told us that she could do both, and the root canal would last for a bit, but most likely we would end of up with an extraction anyways at some point. She saw the root canal as an option that would be more interesting for her (more challenging work), but would only cost us additional money and would not be in Jenica's best interest as she would have to go through multiple surgeries/treatments. However, this was with both teeth breaking for the second time (she had a slab fracture before, that did not require any treatment). Based on that we opted for extractions. Good luck with your decision.

  7. #5
    rhugill is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Thanks Jenica so much for that info. It helps!
    I don't want her to go through this more than once if it will need to be extracted anyway down the road.

  8. #6
    BauersMom's Avatar
    BauersMom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    13,524

    Default

    I would opt for extraction. Even in a human tooth, a root canal isn't a sure thing to saving a tooth. In a human though, there is at least some understand and control. Dogs are hard on their teeth. Either way, good luck with your decision.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.


  9. #7
    rhugill is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Thanks Everyone!!
    We have decided to go with extraction.

  10. #8
    justine's Avatar
    justine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    11,446

    Default

    Abbey has broken four teeth - two upper incisors and two of her upper P4s (the large, wide molar halfway back with three roots). We opted to extract each time since it is very likely that the tooth would just be broken again.

    Good luck!

  11. #9
    LuvBrown is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    830

    Default

    Pull the tooth and be done with it. Why would anyone spend thousands of dollars to save a tooth in a dog. I love my dogs, but if a tooth is damaged, it's pulled and we're done. I don't care if he's missing a tooth in his smile.

  12. #10
    rhugill is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Money isn't the issue here, my dog's health is the issue- in the end I only pay my insurance deductible so it is the same cost to me either way. My concern is for my dog.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-10-2007, 07:16 PM
  2. Oh Lah! [updated w/2 pics] Root Canal
    By zoesmom in forum Lab Chat
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 04-10-2006, 09:25 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25