Common Allergies in Labs

Thread: Common Allergies in Labs

Sunnylab is offline Junior Member

DefaultCommon Allergies in Labs

I realize all you great Lab-lovers have commented and posted in various places before but I'm trying to find a consolidated thread I can easily reference (apologies in advance).

Labs can be prone to allergies. This much we pretty much know by now. What are some of the more common allergies you've seen in Labs?

We know Beck's father is allergic to gluten and by default we don't feed him anything with gluten in it but he's suffering from his first yeast infection which could be an indicator of an allergy. The vet also said that he's seen a sharp rise in the cases of allergies he's seen over the past two years, possibly due to rapid changes in pollen production due to climate change.

It would help me and possibly others looking for some solutions to help their fur-kids.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I think each dog is different in allergies or sensitivities.I think there are common things like lamb, chicken, grains and environmental that upset many dogs. Helping them is another matter. What works for one dog may not work for another.Our vets also suggest different treatments which may or may not work, and we have our own ideas, so there is no one size fits all solution.

I have 2 dogs that need special treament and both very different. Erns is allergic and can become very sick if he eats meat or any food other than he is diet.

Tess has yeast infections and this is proving very difficult to treat. My vet is very sure it is environmental, but I am sure it is food and environmental, so for 3 months been doing an elimination diet. For the first time in 18 months she doesn't stink and need a bath 3 times a week, and has fur around her eyes. She is down from 2 Pred a day to 1/2 every other day until the last few days when she seems to be itching which I think environmental.

She can't have beef, lamb, chicken, potato, sweet potato, rice or other grain. At the moment we seem to be ok with fish and veges and fruit and trialling tapioca.
    Good luck with your fur kid. It is so darned hard having dogs that cause us concern.
    Last edited by kassabella; 03-01-2013 at 01:53 AM.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Sunnylab is offline Junior Member

DefaultThanks for the insight

Beck currently has his first yeast infection. The treatment is pretty intense for both of us (since he HATES baths) and people messing with the insides of his ears.

His father is allergic to grains (primarily wheat but possibly corn) so we've made sure not to tempt fate with this one and the kid has always been on a gluten-free diet. He was raised with a raw diet (chicken + rice and lentils primarily), we may have to go back to that.

The vet said it may be environmental but it could also be his diet. He's seen a sharp uptick in dogs (specifically labs) who have had allergies in the past two years. He indicated that the strong shift in climate has changed the pollen profile in our area which has triggered a lot of the environmental allergies.

We're going to see if we can get this infection knocked out first and then start eliminating things from the environment and his diet.

Good Times.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

My vet is sure it is environment as most dogs with allergies it is. I was sure chicken was a problem too and right. Rice and chicken have Tess in a major flare up within a day.

The treatment is intense. One thing is to make sure they are very dry after a bath or getting wet as a damp coat will encourage yeast. I couldn't understand why she still stunk the house out after a bath and googled. Tried keeping her dry and worked. Yeast grown in damp lpaces like ears, feet and folds of skin. Tess has a huge bad area on her neck where thee skin folds.
    Eliminating things from the environment is like finding a needle in a hay stack. Where do you start. They not only breath it in, they walk in it. Fleas, dust, even humans can be a problem.

The vet said if we can get Tess to an acceptable level that is the best we can hope for. If her owners had done something when she was young and first started it would have made her life so much easier now.

Each dog is different so it will be a matter of trial and error to see what works best for you and your dog.

I have a few links from people who have had yeast dogs for many years so will find when I get home from work and post them for you.

Some things that seem to be widely used are apple cider vinegar and coconut oil. I give them to Tess and rub the coconut oil on the bald spots to try and help her fur regrow. I have heard zinc, but haven't tried that yet.

eta. This is a pic of Tessa last year. (10 months after I got her). The bald spot is almost half that now and she has fur around her eyes. She used to look like she wore goggles.

Tha black stuff comes off with oil. I use coconut oil.
    Last edited by kassabella; 03-01-2013 at 04:44 PM.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/