Is Kennel cough - cross-eyed related?

Thread: Is Kennel cough - cross-eyed related?

Martinmac is offline Junior Member

DefaultIs Kennel cough - cross-eyed related?

Hi there, my lab pup Beau has a recent spell of kennel cough even after have all of his injections, it is a mild case from what I can gather. Took him to the vet to get medical attention and was put in a antibiotics. During this time his eyes have started to go cross eyed -eyes pointing in towards the nose. He doesn't look straight at me when sitting in front of me and has a vague look when I call him from a few meters away. He plays fetch well still but does mis judge his distances a few times when jumping. I'm a little worried this could permanent or could it be kennel cough related / virus???? He's full pedigree lab from good lines. His two sisters out if the 9 litter did have problems but not relating to blindness. His sight was perfect when we got him. Although he did have big seal pup eyes which made him more cute!
    What's my next step?????

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

My older rescue dog appears cross-eyed due to his eyes being close set and his schnozz being pretty lengthy - he is not actually cross-eyed. People notice and remark on it all the time. If there was something actually wrong with his sight (besides the cataracts he used to have due to diabetes) his canine opthamologist would have noticed it. I would bet yours is probably not visually affected, but if you are concerned you should get his eyes checked.

And - don't really think that kennel cough (which is basically like a human common cold) would impact vision.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

I was pretty sure I'd heard of extremely violent coughing resulting in crossed eyes, which were temporary, so I googled. Nothing to confirm that but I did come up with something to suggest that some medications are indeed linked to crossed eyes. This is in people of course and you see that the common medications for cough are not the ones listed for a link to crossed eyes.

Ask your Vet. Maybe the antibiotics have some strange effect on dogs, or on your dog? At any rate, a change in eyes is something I'd have my Vet look at.

Could Cough cause Crossed eyes (Strabismus)? - a study by eHealthMe

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

There are many different strains of KC, and the vaccinations do not cover them all. So, while your dog can be vaccinated, it can still get KC. Antibiotics are really not necessary for KC, especially if it is a mild case.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Martinmac is offline Junior Member

Well after I trip to the vet for the second time regarding his crossed eyes the vet hasn't seen anything like it before and was a little myth'd. I think I confused you a little on when the crossed eyes become appariant I noticed this before he was put on the medication for KC.
    The cough has almost cleared up , and his eyes has are less crossed than previous. Vet issued some anti inflammatories in case there was something inflamed behind the eyes. I did some homework on this my self and the best I could come up with was horners syndrome . But again not a clear cut case. Nothing seems to bother the boy and still is playful as ever so hopefully he's right by the duck season arrives!!! Keep ya posted and thanks for in info people!