Exercising and pooping

Thread: Exercising and pooping

Renzo is offline Junior Member

DefaultExercising and pooping

Hi you guys,

When my 11-month old guy exercises he poops a lot. I know it is normal but by now I thought it would be more controllable. In fact, it is not, the harder he exercises the more he poops, and the more he poops the softer the stools are to the point that almost at the end it looks like he has diarrhea. Is that normal for an 11-year old Lab? is it going to get better with time? Is there any way to avoid it? Thank you for any info you could share with me.

Alfredo

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

For a senior lab the food may be too rich. Have you tried a senior food?
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I had to re-read your post - you say 11 month old and also 11 year old. I assume the former is correct since most 11 year old dogs don't exercise all that hard usually.

What are you feeding and how much? Usually there is a relationship between how much goes in and how much goes out. From what you describe, it may be the food is too rich or too abundant.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

Where are you exercising your dog? My Layla doesn't generally poop anywhere but the back yard and the dog park. So when she gets her exercise at the dog park she goes, but if we are out and about in town running/jogging/walking she doesn't ever go. She waits till we get home and makes a be line to the back door if she has to go. Could it be where your dog is exercising?

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackercodemonkey View Post
    Where are you exercising your dog? My Layla doesn't generally poop anywhere but the back yard and the dog park. So when she gets her exercise at the dog park she goes, but if we are out and about in town running/jogging/walking she doesn't ever go. She waits till we get home and makes a be line to the back door if she has to go. Could it be where your dog is exercising?
    Bauer is the opposite. He always goes while we are exercising (walking/running/hiking), and rarely goes at home.

I was questioning the age too, I wasn't sure what advice to give with such a difference in ages. I do agree with Sharon about the food question, it would be interesting to know what food and how much is being fed.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    I had to re-read your post - you say 11 month old and also 11 year old. I assume the former is correct since most 11 year old dogs don't exercise all that hard usually.

As I read this I look out and see 11 year old Ernie climbing the fence trying to get an apple.lol. He just had a 2 hour swim and run around the back yard.

Mine always poop on walks no matter if they have already been at home.Tess is a big pooper.Some foods she poops out more. I would be concerned if it changes from firm to soft as well as a doing a lot.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

I'm not sure of the age or your exact question either but I can tell you it's not uncommon for the latter poops on an outing to be a bit looser than the first ones. It's called exercise poop. My boy does that, not always, but frequently enough that I've noticed. I've heard other folks say they notice it too. I also notice that if a walk is delayed from our usual time by several hours the poops are looser. But on this point I've heard others say the opposite. All you can do is watch and if it is a concern or goes on too long perhaps at least ask your Vet.

Renzo is offline Junior Member

Sorry guys about the age confusion, it is 11 months old. I am feeding him 4 cups a day (2 in the morning and 2 in the evening) of Blue Wilderness grain free food for puppies. Could that be too much food for his age? And I exercise him around the neighborhood he does poop in one place when I take him out for that but if we are walking around he will poop everywhere.
    Thank you

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

You should switch him to adult food. That will probably cure the problem. Also unless he is very very active 4 cups a day is a lot.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi