What kibble manufacturer do you trust?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What kibble manufacturer do you trust?

NanM is offline Senior Member
    Conquest, NY--near Syracuse and Lake Ontario.

DefaultWhat kibble manufacturer do you trust?

I fed all my Siberians Canadae All stages alternating with Chicken Soup Adult and they all did well. When Madri arrived I fed her Chicken Soup and she did fine for the first week, then developed severe diarrhea. She has been on a bland diet of boiled 90% ground round, rice and non-fat yogurt for over a week and is making slow progress. If she continues doing well I will eventually include a tiny amount of kibble in her food and progress very cautiously until she is having formed stools on all kibble. I am so worried about upsetting her digestion I now doubt all kibble, but I really do want to feed her that type of food with treats of home cooked plain meat, fish and eggs. She is small and I can afford to buy her the best, but it seems all manufacturers have a history of recalls for various reasons. I am interested in hearing what kibble forum members feed with good results, and which companies you trust.

Thanks, Nancy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Did you get a diagnosis of what her malady was? A week on that diet is a long time. Mine are usually back to normal within a couple of days of rice and ground meat (and I use a much higher % of rice). If your puppy has giardia or some other parasite that is causing the runs, the diet is not going to fix the problem.

On your question - I feed Wellness CORE to my dogs and never had an issue.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

labby is offline Senior Member

I require that my puppy people feed ProPlan. It has not be recalled. I like the stools my puppies have on it, I like the nice even growth I see on it also.

I had nothing but trouble with Canidae when I tried it and also Chicken Soup.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

NanM is offline Senior Member
    Conquest, NY--near Syracuse and Lake Ontario.

Sharon--
    Mardi was in rescue for a while in '12 and then was picked up by labs4rescue in '13. She was evaluated and sent to a vet who found her to be in good health, about 2 years old, and spayed her in late January. She remained boarded at the vet because it was felt she would be quickly adopted, and she was. While at the vet, she was fed Science Adult for about 3 weeks and then spent three days on the Rescue Road Trips truck while she was transported from Hammond, LA to Allentown, PA where I picked her up. I have no idea what she ate while on the truck. I think Science Diet is horrible and won't use kibble with corn or wheat so I gave her Chicken Soup Adult. Her stools were fine for a week and then became soft, loose, and then just liquid. Her stool was checked by the vet when I first got her and it was formed and negative. My vet was gone for a couple weeks so I called another vet and was advised to use the cooked, bland diet. It is 2 parts rice to 1 part boiled, ground beef with 1 tablespoon of non-fat yogurt per 1/4 cup cooked food. After several days on the diet she actually passed a nicely formed stool one day, but the next day she again had loose stool with 2 small tapeworm segments. She was treated with Drontal Plus last Friday and her stools are very slowly thickening. I hold my breath every time she has a BM. She is very thin and I want to be able to feed her enough so that she puts on a little weight and her backbone and ribs aren't so terribly prominent. She loves to run and play fetch and seems to have good energy but she also is very quiet and sleeps a lot while in her crate. She displays mild separation anxiety if I am not close to her, but she loves absolutely all people. If her stools continue to look decent I would like to begin introducing her to whatever kibble I decide to use. My regular vet returns in early March and I will certainly have Mardi checked as soon as I can get an appointment. I am a retired RN and I am very concerned at the length of time the diarrhea has persisted, but Mardi's stools do seem to finally be improving. I am placing all my hopes on the fact that she did, on one occasion, pass tapeworm segments. I really want that to be the cause. However, I am also worried about some possible contamination in the Chicken Soup and remember a recent announcement about some kibble containing salmonella. I don't find any recent recall concerning Chicken Soup and Madri doesn't have any vomiting so I don't really think she has salmonella. All I have done since I got her is worry and I am almost 69 and have many years' experience with a lifetime of pet dogs. I never expected to doubt myself like this. One other thing--When my vet saw Mardi shortly after she arrived she remarked at the very large spay scar but declared her in good health. I sometimes wonder if she has adhesions or some other surgery-related complication. I can't wait for the stools to become normal again and for Mardi to be able to eat a top quality kibble.

Nancy
    Near Syracuse in NY's Finger Lakes

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Pro Plan here.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry - I saw your story prior and did read that she was being treated for tapeworms. Is she taking any other meds to calm her gut down? You might want to try to eliminate the yogurt - not all dogs can tolerate it.

Once she is no longer having loose stools, you might want to try feeding her some Satin Balls to put some weight back on her. I'll find a link to the recipe for you.

Holistic Dog - Satinballs Satin Balls
    Last edited by BigBrownDog; 02-27-2013 at 05:46 PM.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

I feed Fromm and have used Acana (and still would as a back-up). I've had good results with the Fromm and my dog loves it. I don't believe they've been involved in any recalls, but there are no guarantees anymore. I have occasionally used a bit of Honest Kitchen as well to supplement and that had a recall recently (though not the variety I use).

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

I feed ProPlan Selects. Bauer likes all of the Selects varieties, and never has a problem with loose stools. At one time I tried him on some grain-free foods, and it never went well. He had loose stools on all of them. Back to the ProPlan and he was right as rain.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I have a co-owned dog w/ me right now who was on PP, and all her dogs (1 Lab, 3-4 Weims, and a boxer) suddenly developed gunky ears. She changed back to Canidae ALS (which is what I feed my adults) and the ear issues appear to be disappearing. I do believe when corn is a major ingredient, it's something to be aware of since quality of corn varies by the year and we know last year's drought raised prices, decreased supplies dramatically. So what is the companies' buying/sourcing standards like would be one question to address. I've never had problem w/ Canidae or Eukanuba but my dogs wouldn't eat PPP years ago when I tried it, nor would they eat Nutro. I have fed Canidae for 15 yrs to my adults but it's too hot of a food Ca/P wise for my puppies so I feed Euk LBP to them for optimal growth. So far, I have no complaints.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I feed Flint River Ranch, no recalls and I have never had a problem in the 2+ years I have been feeding it to my dogs . I would definitely have the vet check a stool sample for giardia again. Stress can be a main contributor to this, it can be persistent and require more than one course of treatment. Your poor dog has been through a huge amount of changes and stress. Also, who knows what her diet was before she ended up in rescue? Perhaps "high quality" foods will be too much for her. I hope she is feeling better soon.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast