I want your "ear advice"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want your "ear advice"

smokey is offline Senior Member

DefaultI want your "ear advice"

Smokey was 10 months old this week. He is suffering from his first ear infection. In the past I was told by my vet I was cleaning his ears too often which could be problematic. So I quit cleaning every week and started cleaning every two or three weeks. Now he has a yeast infection in his ears (both) I feel awful, like if I'd have kept up what I was doing he wouldn't have gotten it. The Evet told me to clean them every three days while he has the otibiotics for 14 days and then to clean weekly. My vet is away and I haven't been able to speak with her yet.

Just wondering how often do you clean your dog's ears?

I know labs could have allergies and that could contribute to ear problems, being his first ear infection I don't want to get too ahead of myself and want to just get this better right now.

Thanks in advance!
    Smokey 4/25/2012

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I don't clean Diesel's at all and have never had an ear infection with him. Blaise produces more wax/gunk and has had a recurrent infection in his left ear and I do clean his about once a month. The last time he was treated for a yeast infection he stayed on the meds for a much longer course and we have not had a problem since - so my feeling is that the prior treatment never really cleared it up 100%.

I do agree with your vet that cleaning too frequently is not a good thing. Messes up the pH in the ear.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

I do it on an as needed basis. Koivu has had several yeast infections in his ears, though none in quite a while. If I see his ears starting to get gunky I'll clean them out. If he's spent an extended amount of time in the water I'll try to do a preventative rinse with the "purple stuff" to keep infection away.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

citronella is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dek View Post
    I do it on an as needed basis. Koivu has had several yeast infections in his ears, though none in quite a while. If I see his ears starting to get gunky I'll clean them out. If he's spent an extended amount of time in the water I'll try to do a preventative rinse with the "purple stuff" to keep infection away.
    purple stuff? is this available in Canada?
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

labby is offline Senior Member

You do not need to clean ears on a regular basis. Wipe them out with a cotton ball if you want, but to do an actual ear cleaning.....no. Doing so could change the pH of the ear canal and then you'll really have problems. Are you sure it's yeast? The vet needs to make that determination. Many times it is yeast but with bacteria also, so just treating the yeast doesn't do anything for the bacteria. My vet tells me to take a cotton ball with a little glob of Monistat on it and clean the ear out with that if the ear is yeasty.

What are you feeding the dog?

Laura

Samson is offline Senior Member

I use a cleaning solution with Jasper but only when he starts to shake his head or shows other signs of discomfort. I found that cleaning them clears up the problem most of the time.

if it goes more than a few days and shows no sign of clearing up then I administer ear drops for three or four days which usually clears it up for another couple of months.

The cleaning solution is called Sancerum and the ear drops Canaural.

ETA that the ear products are prescribed and my other dog Dylan never has a problem.

Susan_MLL is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    You do not need to clean ears on a regular basis. Wipe them out with a cotton ball if you want, but to do an actual ear cleaning.....no. Doing so could change the pH of the ear canal and then you'll really have problems. Are you sure it's yeast? The vet needs to make that determination. Many times it is yeast but with bacteria also, so just treating the yeast doesn't do anything for the bacteria. My vet tells me to take a cotton ball with a little glob of Monistat on it and clean the ear out with that if the ear is yeasty.

What are you feeding the dog?
    I agree that cleaning out ears on a regular basis is not need. Wiping them out a little, especially after swimming and things like that yes. I also agree your vet really should make a determination as to what's going on. When I read your post the first thing I thought of given the age, both ears is the food. Ear issues are indicative of a food allergy. I did read this is the first time but watch out for that. Are the ears filled with black charcoal smelling stuff?

Danika & Eva

smokey is offline Senior Member

Thank You all! We saw the E-Vet yesterday as our vet is out this week. We got a prescription for Otibiotic for 14 days. I'm to use this every twevle hours and then clean both ears with solution every three days during the course of treatment and then once weekly afterwards for two weeks.

We feed ProPlan Performance. I am not too eager to do anything with his food yet, being his first infection. I will of course consideer his food if the infection is difficult to treat or comes right back.

Thanks again!
    Smokey 4/25/2012

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by citronella View Post
    purple stuff? is this available in Canada?
    I use these 2 ear treatments as needed and have had good result with both:

Amazon.com: For Animals K9 Ear Solutions - 12 oz - Liquid: Health & Personal Care

Amazon.com: Pet King Brand Zymox Otic Enzymatic Solution for Pet Ears, 1.25 Ounces: Pet Supplies

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

I never clean unless they are dirty. And mine are rarely dirty.

And honestly, don't waste the money on ear cleaners...just a little witch hazel on a cotton ball is all you need.

If the ears are problematic, the cure is not constant cleaning. You will have to find out what's causing the problem. Food, excessive dampness, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast