New dog, diarrhea

Thread: New dog, diarrhea

NanM is offline Senior Member
    Conquest, NY--near Syracuse and Lake Ontario.

DefaultNew dog, diarrhea

I'v had LabX Mardi for week and while she arrived with formed stools, she developed diarrhea by day 3 or 4. I know food and water were restricted while she was on the Rescue Road Trips transport, and she was on Science Adult before that. I am feeding her Chicken Soup Adult and when she had her first vet visit I was instructed to feed her one cup three times daily until she went from 36 to 42 pounds, and then cut back to maintain that weight. Soon after I left the vet Mardi's stools began to loosen until they became liquid. I cut back on the amount of kibble because I thought maybe she was overeating (she is extremely small, 36 pounds and 2 years old). She is always starving, but she is half Lab and I know they love to eat. I have totally stopped giving her any kind of treat and hoped to see her stools firm up. She is still having diarrhea three times a day--no accidents. She passes liquid stool and then spends a few minutes straining to do more. She does not act at all sick.

My problem--I called my vet and was told she was on vacation and "no vet" would be in the office until Wednesday. I have used canned Hills ID for a dog with pancreatitis many years ago when she had problems so I asked if I could buy several cans and try that on Mardi. They will let me know when a more senior employee comes in. In the meantime I am considering trying to get an appointment with my son's vet, whom he praises highly.

What do you members do when a dog developes diarrhea?

Thanks, Nancy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

The could be several factors playing a part in your dog's problem.

Three cups of food day is probably WAY too much. My 85 pound Labs only get three cups a day. As you mentioned, over eating can cause diarrhea.

How gradually did you switch foods? If it was too suddenly, that will cause diarrhea in most dogs.

It could be stress from the transport, change in environment.

Personally, I would take the dog to your son's vet. Try to get a stool sample just before you go in. It could be Giardia, which can be hard to see in a stool sample, but the vet can prescribe medication to treat it. Flagyl works well for my dogs, but other have better success with another medication.

Good luck, I hope your dog gets better quick!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Thanks Belles Mom,

Mardi came up from Louisiana, boarded the truck last Thursday morning and I picked her up at 10:30 PM on Saturday night in Allentown, PA. She spent some time in rescue and then was spayed, then was boarded at the vet for about 3 weeks. While on the truck I have no idea what or how much or what she was fed. I had no choice but to make a sudden change in her diet and she did fine for 3 days. I never had a dog appear to be constantly starved and I really don't know how much to feed her or how often. She is definitely bony so she must have been hungry for some time. I can't possibly free feed her because I am afraid she willl stuff herself constantly. I am going to call my son's vet because I am afraid she might become severely ill suddenly.
    Nancy
    Near Syracuse in NY's Finger lakes

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

While she has this upset happening, I would feed her boiled ground chicken or hamburger and white rice. Take her off the kibble entirely for a couple of days. She also needs to see a vet to determine if there is a medical cause and she is probably a bit dehydrated so she may need a fluid bolus.

If she was on Science Diet prior, you should have slowly transitioned her to the new food by mixing some of that brand to the new food.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

citronella is offline Senior Member

She has had a lot of excitement in last couple of weeks, might be a factor as well. New home, new people. When my dogs have diarrhea or loose stool I feed them kibbles dry and add in pure pumpkin puree and dry oats. Usually does the trick, just my 2 cents.
    But if it persists then take to the vet definitely.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

MelCole is offline Member

The above mentioned pumpkin and oats would also help to ease the "Starvin' Marvins".... My 10 yr old is ALWAYS starving. He's been getting pumpkin puree in his food for years. That it helps keep his stool *normal* is a great plus.

Big Brown Dog,

I now wish I had used some Science Diet but I figured she had been switched tol something else when she got on the truck. Also, for at least 10 years I alternated Chicken Soup with Canadae for my 4 Siberians and they had no digestion/stool problems---and I don't think much of Science Diet. I talked with my son's vet and they were going to see her today but then they mentioned the bland diet that would be prescribed. Since she had a negative stool test last Monday it was decided they would give me a printed diet to try before bringing her in. When I adopted my 4 Sibes I did obtain some of the terrible stuff they had been eating and I did do the blending with them. I just figured this dog had bounced from a rescue to the vet to the truck and that Chicken Soup for the Adult would be OK. Damn!! She is so sweet and I feel terrible not to let her have much freedom in the house, but everything but the kitchen abd bathrooms are carpreted.
    Nancy

MelCole is offline Member

You could try to get a little pepto bismal down her as well. That would quickly help w/diarrhea and easy any tummy discomfort. (I use the pepto chew-ables). Just be sure if you go that route to provide sufficient water.

This morning I found what looked like a tape worm in Mardi's loose stool. I was absolutely thrilled! I took a sample to the vet immediately and waited for the results. I was given Drontal Plus for her treatment. Now, I have to wait to see if her diarrhea finally subsides. I am so hopeful that tape worms are the culprit. Her fecal flotation test was negative while in rescue and it was again today. However, the actual presence of a worm segment was cause for treatment. I am so hopeful my baby will finally be OK. I feel I am starving her with the bioled rice, bioled 90% lean ground round and yogurt diet. She is bony thin and I want to see her gain a little weight, but she can't do that while on this diet. Please send good vibes for skinny Mardi .
    Nancy