6 month olds with diarrhea
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 6 month olds with diarrhea

  1. #1
    maxepr1 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    6

    Default6 month olds with diarrhea

    Like the title says we have 2 6 month old labs that have had accidents in there kennels the last 2 nights. I have noticed that there stool has been getting soft the last week or so. Until reading on here that could be from to much food in there diet? They have been eating Blue Buffalo Basics for puppies since they started eating dry food, with no problems. I guess my question is how much is to much? We feed 2 times a day 4 cups each serving. All eaten within 10 minutes. Poured in 1 large pan that they both eat out of. They won't eat out of there own bowls. They both are acting normal and drinking water normally. Today I am starting them on a diet of 2 cups per serving. Both weigh in the 40lb. range and are growing normal. Full shots for both. There are not on any meds or supplements. They eat nothing but dog food, no table scraps. Pretty much house dogs and supervised when they go out. Any help? Thanks

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    11,990

    Default

    That seems like a really excessive amount of food to me. Since they are not overweight (at 40#) they must be producing an epic amount of poop.

    I would not feed more than 1.5 cups per serving per dog. I would also have 6 month olds on adult or ALS food. I would also feed them separately for a number of reasons - you have no way to know how much each dog is eating when you comingle their food. You are also guaranteed that they will always share germs/viruses if they are sharing a bowl. If you need to feed them in their crates to get them to eat - do so.

    You should be putting a lot of effort into separating them anyway due to the problem with same age pups bonding more closely to each other than to humans without intervention and active separation. Sleep separately, train separately, walk separately, feed separately.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

  4. #3
    labby's Avatar
    labby is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    *points to her right palm*
    Posts
    29,548

    Default

    That's a LOT of food!!! I'd cut it in half to start with and see how they do on that. FYI I was never able to get a solid stool with my dogs on Blue Buffalo.



    Laura





  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Susan_MLL's Avatar
    Susan_MLL is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    165

    Default

    I also agree that's a lot of food! I might suggest immediately cutting that into 1/2 so you are feeding 2Cups twice a day. I also have heard many say the stools have never been great on BB food. IF you decide to switch make sure you switch slowly. 6 months of age an in the 40's is a good weight. I would watch and ensure they don't drop a lot of weight because you cut back on the amount you are feeding.

    Danika & Eva

  7. #5
    maxepr1 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    That seems like a really excessive amount of food to me. Since they are not overweight (at 40#) they must be producing an epic amount of poop.

    I would not feed more than 1.5 cups per serving per dog. I would also have 6 month olds on adult or ALS food. I would also feed them separately for a number of reasons - you have no way to know how much each dog is eating when you comingle their food. You are also guaranteed that they will always share germs/viruses if they are sharing a bowl. If you need to feed them in their crates to get them to eat - do so.

    You should be putting a lot of effort into separating them anyway due to the problem with same age pups bonding more closely to each other than to humans without intervention and active separation. Sleep separately, train separately, walk separately, feed separately.
    Thanks Big Brown! Put them on the pan for there food because they were inhaling it when they were pups, and this slows them down in eating. Separate bowls we tried but can't seem to stay at there own bowls. More we work there needs to be done!
    Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    That's a LOT of food!!! I'd cut it in half to start with and see how they do on that. FYI I was never able to get a solid stool with my dogs on Blue Buffalo.
    Didn't really know how much was to much because it was all gone in 10 minutes! Already fed them half today. Up till a week or so ago they did have solid stool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan_MLL View Post
    I also agree that's a lot of food! I might suggest immediately cutting that into 1/2 so you are feeding 2Cups twice a day. I also have heard many say the stools have never been great on BB food. IF you decide to switch make sure you switch slowly. 6 months of age an in the 40's is a good weight. I would watch and ensure they don't drop a lot of weight because you cut back on the amount you are feeding.
    Thanks Susan. Already cut in half there food for this am's feeding, there not happy campers. Guess were going to start kennel feed till we learn our manners.

  8. #6
    kassabella's Avatar
    kassabella is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Wellington New Zealand
    Posts
    9,926

    Default

    I feed Tess on a big tray as she inhales too. If Ernie tries to help her she eats faster if that is possible. Erns is a slow eater, but if she comes near his bowl he eats faster too.

    Both Gems and Tess would leave their bowls and go to Ernies. He steps out of the way and lets them eat his food, so Gems was fed in another room. I stand beside Ernie until he is finished and make Tess leave it. It would be best if I fed them in seperate rooms, but Tess jumps so high several times she has jumped and head butted the bowl sending kibble every where as I take it to the other room.

    Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

  9. #7
    maxepr1 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kassabella View Post
    I feed Tess on a big tray as she inhales too. If Ernie tries to help her she eats faster if that is possible. Erns is a slow eater, but if she comes near his bowl he eats faster too.

    Both Gems and Tess would leave their bowls and go to Ernies. He steps out of the way and lets them eat his food, so Gems was fed in another room. I stand beside Ernie until he is finished and make Tess leave it. It would be best if I fed them in seperate rooms, but Tess jumps so high several times she has jumped and head butted the bowl sending kibble every where as I take it to the other room.
    Lol! I thought 2 was tough. You got your hands full there. The big pan worked for me. They just couldn't grab as much in there mouth.

  10. #8
    Tanya is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,797

    Default

    feed them in their crates (seperate crates) so you know who is eating and how much. no changing bowls. If you don't want to feed in crates, feed in seperate rooms.

    And yes that is a TON of food, wow.

    Make sure they get DAILY time away from one another, go for a walk with one at a time, go for a car trip iwth one. They need daily seperation to ensure they don't stunt one another growth (mentally). Raising littermates is more than twice the work of one puppy, it is 10x the work of one puppy.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

  11. #9
    NanM is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Conquest, NY--near Syracuse and Lake Ontario.
    Posts
    146

    Default

    I had a pack of 4 Siberians for more than 10 years; 3 males and 1 super bitch. There would have been war if I didn't always feed them in their closed crates. So easy that way. They crated up immediately when I started to measure out the food. I placed the bowls into the crates in pack order and no one came out until all bowls were empty. That never took very long. Release from the crates was also in pack order. All 4 were adopted, abused dogs and all had food issues--except for the omega who never fought for anything.
    Nancy

  12. #10
    maxepr1 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    6

    Default

    UPDATE:
    Started last night with food reduction and separate bowls. Went well actually. Both stayed at there own bowls and ate there own food, so for 2 feedings. Cut them down to 3 cups a day each. We'll see from there. Go down from there if I need to. One already is getting solid stool.

Similar Threads

  1. My two favorite 2 year olds!
    By hark67 in forum Lab Chat
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-23-2009, 08:56 PM
  2. Potty training 1 1/2 yr olds
    By tobynike in forum Training Tips and Puppy Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-11-2008, 01:05 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25