Abnormal gait?

Thread: Abnormal gait?

NanM is offline Senior Member
    Conquest, NY--near Syracuse and Lake Ontario.

DefaultAbnormal gait?

I let my new LabX off lead inside the fenced acre for the first time today. There is a 2 or 3 inch snow covering left from a substantial snowfall last week. The top has a crust and my 2 year old, 36 pound Mardi doesn't break completely through, but does leave foot print "dents." She ran full out in total joy and I noticed her hind legs are slightly spread out when she gallops. Her position is a little like when she squats to have a BM. When she slows down she assumes a normal looking trot. Is she trying to gain traction with this odd squat or does it indicate bad hips? She certainly doesn't appear to be uncomfortable and is ecstatic to be off leash and free to run circles around me.

Nancy
    Near Syracuse in NY's Finger Lakes

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Susan_MLL is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by NanM View Post
    I let my new LabX off lead inside the fenced acre for the first time today. There is a 2 or 3 inch snow covering left from a substantial snowfall last week. The top has a crust and my 2 year old, 36 pound Mardi doesn't break completely through, but does leave foot print "dents." She ran full out in total joy and I noticed her hind legs are slightly spread out when she gallops. Her position is a little like when she squats to have a BM. When she slows down she assumes a normal looking trot. Is she trying to gain traction with this odd squat or does it indicate bad hips? She certainly doesn't appear to be uncomfortable and is ecstatic to be off leash and free to run circles around me.

Nancy
    Near Syracuse in NY's Finger Lakes
    Many times a dog will change movement in the frozen snow for traction. It's very difficult for anyone to say either way based on your description. I might suggest taking her to an area where you do not have snow, flat surface, when it melts and watch her move then.

Danika & Eva

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Sounds to me like she was doing a little butt tucking around your yard.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Susan_MLL is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Sounds to me like she was doing a little butt tucking around your yard.
    Very true!! To the OP, do you know what the Butt Tuck Run is? It's when they are as happy as can be, put their tails between their legs, butts underneath them and run all over as if crazed lol (for lack of a better description) Sometimes the back legs are wider then usual because they are going full steam ahead with the butts under them so this helps to balance.

Danika & Eva

NanM is offline Senior Member
    Conquest, NY--near Syracuse and Lake Ontario.

DefaultRe: butt tucking--

I think this is what she was doing. She was thrilled to be able to run free. She is the happiest dog I have ever owned. When I decided to adopt a 2 year old I didn't expect her to be such a nutty puppy. Thanks for the info.

Nancy