Heart worm Medication

Thread: Heart worm Medication

leeshiepieces is offline Junior Member

ExclamationHeart worm Medication

I have a 4 month old chocolate lab puppy. As of right now I have been bringing him to the Petco Luv My Pet to get his shots because it is cheaper and helps a lot with money. When I brought him they told me they would send in the mail Heart Worm Prevention pill. I just received the pill in the mail which is Interceptor. I am just somewhat confused cause they package says not to give it to him if no negative results came back. He was never tested so I am not sure if I should throw it away or give it to him so he does not get heart worms since Im pretty sure they can not even each till he is 6 months old. Also, if I am suppose to give him the medication how often and for how long should I continue to give it to him?

Any advise or help would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Susan_MLL is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by leeshiepieces View Post
    I have a 4 month old chocolate lab puppy. As of right now I have been bringing him to the Petco Luv My Pet to get his shots because it is cheaper and helps a lot with money. When I brought him they told me they would send in the mail Heart Worm Prevention pill. I just received the pill in the mail which is Interceptor. I am just somewhat confused cause they package says not to give it to him if no negative results came back. He was never tested so I am not sure if I should throw it away or give it to him so he does not get heart worms since Im pretty sure they can not even each till he is 6 months old. Also, if I am suppose to give him the medication how often and for how long should I continue to give it to him?

Any advise or help would be appreciated.
    Heart worm medication is given on a monthly basis. When the puppy is young and begins for the first time you do not need to do a HW test. It's fine to start your puppy on it. Just based on your confusion with the writing on the package (I'm not looking at it) you might want to simply call your vet's office and run it by them.

HW testing is done 2 ways. IF your dog is on HW prevention year round and not taken off, you can do a HW test once every 2 years. IF you keep your dog on medication only during the warm/hot months and off during winter, every year hence forward would be needed. IF someone does not keep a dog on HW year round and does not test before putting it back on the medication and hypothetically they are positive, the medication is dangerous.

Danika & Eva

smokey is offline Senior Member

One pill? I don't understand that. We give an oral dose once a month, but, never received just one at a time. Have you had your puppy to your regular vet at all? I think it is very improtant to have a good relationship with a vet because sometimes things happen and you need them and it is nice that they are familiar with your dog and with you. I'm not familiar with Interceptor, we have used Heartgard and Iverhart.
    Smokey 4/25/2012

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

My puppy was 4 months old in February too but I'm in a place that gets good cold winters so I did not need to start the heartworm meds till June. For us, born in Oct. past mosquito season so no way he could have contracted heartworm and no need for testing that first year.

I agree, sometimes saving money is not worth it. For something as serious as heartworm I know I'd feel more comfortable with my Vet, especially if I was new at the puppy stuff. Is it warm enough all year you really need to start it now?

Vet visits for puppies are not as much as some may think. I just took mine in for his 9 week old check up and shots, the boosters were $27 and the office visit $55. The vet checked everything on the puppy including weight, his testicles, temperature, skin, gums, etc. The vet I take him to according to reviews on YELP is on the expensive side so you can likely find reputable vets that charge less for the office visit(I go to a full service 24 hr emergency vet hospital). But honestly $77 is a little bit more then I pay for a tank of gas. My pup is worth so much more!

Plus once you have an established relationship with a vet you can call anytime with questions you may have. It's worth it. You might have to cut back on the eating out and extra things for a few months when your puppy is visiting the vet more often but in the long run knowing the pup is developing well and healthy along the way is worth the sacrifice. You can also call your local animal shelter and I am sure they can refer you to some low-cost vets in your area.
    Deep Run Traveling "Takoda" (12/05/12)

Deep Run Easygoing Ezekial "Zeke" (04/13/17)

leeshiepieces is offline Junior Member

I live in Rhode Island so the winters get pretty cold. My puppy was also born at the beginning of October. Do you think because of these things it would be ok to not start him on heartworm medication until May-June time?

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Paddle View Post
    My puppy was 4 months old in February too but I'm in a place that gets good cold winters so I did not need to start the heartworm meds till June. For us, born in Oct. past mosquito season so no way he could have contracted heartworm and no need for testing that first year.

I agree, sometimes saving money is not worth it. For something as serious as heartworm I know I'd feel more comfortable with my Vet, especially if I was new at the puppy stuff. Is it warm enough all year you really need to start it now?

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

That's a question for your Vet if no other Rhode Island folk come along to answer.

Susan_MLL is offline Senior Member

Correct, when puppies are born in the Fall/Winter they are started on HW the following Late Spring when the weather is warming up.

Danika & Eva

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

No comment about the HW question, but I really think that even if you are using Petco for vax, you need to have a nearby vet that you have a relationship with. I would doubt that the Petco service covers all bases and you want to have a vet you trust if your pup is sick or you have an emergency.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.