Puppy Chow For Large Breeds

Thread: Puppy Chow For Large Breeds

Crystal87 is offline Senior Member

DefaultPuppy Chow For Large Breeds

Jaxx has been having some food related issues (most some diarrhea every so often) and the vet thinks it's his food. We're feeding him Purina puppy chow because that was what the breeder gave us.

I intended to switch him to a 'higher quality' food at some point, but it seems like sooner is better. The vet recommended we get Purina Puppy Chow for Large Breeds or some other Puppy Chow for Large breeds. She said this was because of the nutrients in the food would be better for his bone/hip development.

My dad went to the pet store 45 minutes away from home (my husband and I live in the boonies, my dad is retired and was willing to take the drive). The guy at the pet store gave him Authority puppy chow, it doesn't say on it that it's for large breeds though.

To make a long story short... what namebrand/type should I be feeding my 9 week lab?

Also, when do you make the switch to adult food?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Labs are not considered large breeds so getting a LB puppy food is not necessary. I would do a switch to ProPlan Puppy (not the Shredded Blends). I require all my puppy people to feed this food. I like the nice even growth I see on it. It's never been recalled and many, many Lab breeders feed ProPlan.

FYI: of course the pet store employee recommended Authority, it's PetsMart's brand. I don't care for it.

Laura

Crystal87 is offline Senior Member

Oh, thank you for the information! I greatly appreciate it. I want to make sure I'm giving our lab the best food for him and I figured, who better to ask!

Hm, that makes sense then, that he would recommend Authority. I had never heard of it before and I'm reluctant to to give animals food that I don't really know much about.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

smokey is offline Senior Member

Mine does very well on ProPlan, we were not able to get the breeder's brand near us and ProPlan has worked well for us.
    Smokey 4/25/2012

TBGSAM is offline Senior Member

We have a newfie mix and still never fed large breed puppy/dog food. We feed proplan too, changing to adult food around 6-8 months of age. We waited until Bailey was about 8 months before switching him to adult and with Sarah we switched to adult food at 6 months.
    Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05, Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

I bought a backyard bred lab my first time out and they had her on Purina Puppy Chow. As soon as my vet found out he told me to get her off of it. If I had been on this forum I would have followed Labby's advice.