How many meals a day do you serve your adult Lab?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many meals a day do you serve your adult Lab?

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultHow many meals a day do you serve your adult Lab?

First off, my Puff is one of the rare 10% of Labs that will not overeat.

As a puppy, I fed her 3X a day, adjusting the amounts offered to the amounts she'd consume in about 10 minutes.

As she's grown older (she'll be 11 this summer), she's eating less although her weight is staying fairly constant at 62 lbs. [She was the runt of her litter with her littermates weighing in the 80s (lbs)].

Puff stopped wanting a midday meal years ago and would eat some breakfast although supper was her big meal.

Now, although I put a little kibble in her dish in every morning, it stays there uneaten until it's incorporated into her evening meal.

Of course, like other more normal Labs, whenever B. or I are eating anything (pretzels, fruit, anything) she's always a huge beggar, wanting us to give her a share of whatever we're having (even though it may be something she'll taste and promptly spit out uneaten).

Any other Labs out there that eat mainly supper?

(My previous experience with a Lab -- my Bess -- was that the ONLY food she'd NEVER eat at ANY time was raw mushrooms. Otherwise, bring it on, watch it disappear.)

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 02-06-2013 at 06:23 PM.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Mick was like that. There were times he wouldn't touch his breakfast. After about 15 minutes, I simply put it up and offered it to him at dinner time.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

No such issue here. They hoover it up at 7 am and 7 pm without fail or hesitation. And then check their bowls 3-4 times to make sure they did not miss a molecule of kibble.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Maxx eats breakfast and dinner, without fail every day at 6 AM and 6 PM. Emma is the pickiest eater I have ever seen. She is a Lab/Border Collie cross so maybe that has something to do with it. Like Sharon's dogs, Maxx checks his dish frequently, just in case...
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

We feed Sophie twice a day, and treats in between. She is not an over-eater either and is a bit picky....
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Erns only eats as much as he needs. His big meal is breakfast. When I got him it was dinner. Some days when I work from home I have been busy until I noticed it is dark and around 9pm. He rarely complains about no having dinner. Tonight he walked away from his dinner so I took it away and gave it back to him a little later. He likes to beg snacks.

Tessa is a different dog. She is always ravenous. She isnt demading like him at breakfast.

One weekend at the beach their food was left in the car. I thought she was just having time out in the car. Later that afternoon I had to take Erns to the vet. About 15 mins after we got back I noticed both were in the car. Went to look and oh heck..they had eaten a weeks supply of dog food. He was laying on the seat and she was still eating. He must have discovered her snacking when we went to the vets and joined in.

I can pick up shopping and he will never touch it. Tessa is into it before I close the door.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Samson is offline Senior Member

Neither of mine would leave a single scrap ! Maybe when there's no competition they would feel confident enough to leave food in the bowl but i doubt it !

They both have the same size meals at around about 6 morning and evening.

They are not protective in any way though and sometimes my Tom cat will eat out of the same bowl until he gets his own food.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    No such issue here. They hoover it up at 7 am and 7 pm without fail or hesitation. And then check their bowls 3-4 times to make sure they did not miss a molecule of kibble.
    That's Caleb. Although, I have to say, he doesn't inhale his food, thankfully. He spends as much time licking the bowl clean after he's finshed as he does actually eating. And, you know, something just might magically appear in his bowl during the day, so it must be checked.

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Bauer eats at 6am and 5pm every day. He is also a "bowl checker." When he comes in the house he ALWAYS checks his bowl immediately, just in case someone put something in there while he was outside going potty.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

My kids can miss a meal and they do not care. I have never given them the opportunity to eat more than their usual meal, so I have no clue if they would eat more than they should. I suspect that they would however.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast