Ran into a Purina employee

Thread: Ran into a Purina employee

gundog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRan into a Purina employee

So I was at petsmart picking up dog food and a guy starts a conversation with me while I am loading the cart. (I feed proplan) He asked if I had any questions and said he worked for nestle. He was a really nice guy, fairly honest and accepting of constructive feed back. He is in finance but seemed to know what he was talking about.

We talked about the Shreds and my dislike and eventually leaving proplan altogether until they came back out with the chicken original again. He confirmed that the whole thing was to make picky dogs eat it......which I told him might be smart from a marketing standpoint but was stupid as heck from my point of view.

Some other interesting tidbits from our conversation.

The people who work there mostly all bring their dogs to work.....the HQ has tons of walking trails and they go out walking with their dogs during lunch.

Their portion of the dog food pie is around 8.5 Billion......big money. (mars is even bigger I believe) They spend 200 million a year on R&D. 200 million.

Their research shows that 70% of dog owners (or was it pet owners?) do not feed dog food. They feed table scraps. I found that amazing? Their position is that the market is hugely undersold.

He said the largest percentage of people who work there feed proplan selects.

I asked how long a bag of kibble lasts on the shelf. He said six months......but he also said that the reality is it lasts for 2 years! That's what their testing shows.

I asked him about low end food and he shrugged......some people will only pay that much for food and that's why they offer food from cheap to expensive.

He also volunteered that they had no recalls......if you ignore the waggin treats from china, which they have dropped for that reason. He also explained how that all comes about and how china throws out white meat on a chicken and it's almost free over there. They apparently decided it was not worth the risk.
    [

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Interesting. We have a Purina Nestle plant in the town I work in and my nephew works there.

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by gundog View Post

He also volunteered that they had no recalls.
    Was he talking ProPlan or all their foods. Didn't Beneful just have a recall? I know ProPlan has never been recalled and is one of the reasons why I recommend it. (well besides the fact that it works)

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bett is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    Was he talking ProPlan or all their foods. Didn't Beneful just have a recall? I know ProPlan has never been recalled and is one of the reasons why I recommend it. (well besides the fact that it works)

He didn't go into details.......I believe he was just trying to make the point that the other guys have had more.

He did mention diamond though and said it is just a business being built to be sold......which was interesting.

I wish i had known i would run into him.....I would have had more questions ready.
    Last edited by gundog; 02-06-2013 at 10:37 AM.
    [

I forgot another interesting tidbit. He had a handsome bench type yellow lab with him.....his dog. He said she was part of the testing. They use labs to test how good the food was......because they will eat anything....LOL

They bring in other dogs.....IE more picky dogs to test how they like the taste of a food.
    [

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bett View Post
    I knew there had been something, so he must have meant ProPlan. FYI: Purina Mills is not associated with Ralston Purina. They split years and years ago.

Laura

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

That's neat that you ran into him, was he there to answer questions or was a coincidence? I have seen reps from other companies at the local feed store and at PetSmart, but never a Purina rep.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by BauersMom View Post
    That's neat that you ran into him, was he there to answer questions or was a coincidence? I have seen reps from other companies at the local feed store and at PetSmart, but never a Purina rep.
    No he was in town visiting (I think he was skiing)......he said he just stops in to various places to see how the dog food is staged......usually hands out coupons.....he said he sometimes will leave a few coupons right on top of the bags.....lol

He was not a salesman.....which provided a unique perspective.
    [