Switching puppy food?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Switching puppy food?

doubletrouble25 is offline Senior Member

QuestionSwitching puppy food?

My fiance and I are going to be bringing home our first lab puppy at 8 weeks old in about a month and a half. So, we have been doing some research on puppy foods. Our breeder says that she feeds all of her puppies Eukanuba large breed puppy food and strongly recommends that we continue feeding this, or if we do switch, to switch to a quality large breed puppy food. We plan on starting out with eukanuba, but my fiance feels strongly that the puppy should be on Fromm large breed puppy food instead. Does anyone have any opinion on Eukanuba versus Fromm? I would like to switch foods if Fromm is going to be a much better quality, and healthier food, but I also have been told by many people to stick to what the breeder tells us to do. Also, if we do decide to make the switch, how soon should we do it? I know that it needs to be a gradual switch, where we feed some of each and increase the amount of the new food as we decrease the amount of the old food, but I'm not quite sure how fast this switch should be made.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

chocolatelabs is offline Junior Member

DefaultLarge Breed Puppy Food

Hi and Congratulations on getting your first lab puppy! That picture is just adorable!

I would highly recommend getting away from Eukanuba dog food.
    Our breeder said the same with our 1st lab (we now have 3) and he developed itchy skin from it and grain allergies.
    Ever since being fed a higher quality grain-free food he has done well over the years.
    ** Please avoid any food from Diamond pet food company as there have been so many deadly dog food recalls.
    Champion is a great pet food company and strives to produce the highest quality foods. They also have great customer service as well.

We are feeding our new chocolate lab puppy Orijen large breed puppy food.
    You can look up dog food reviews here:
    Five Star Dry Dog Foods | Dog Food Advisor

What to feed our dogs has probably been the biggest discussion between my husband and I as it is so important.
    We got a 1 lb. bag of Loyal dog food from our breeder on pick up day and we blended that half and half with the Orijen that we are feeding until it was gone, only took a couple of days. Our pup did just fine with that transition.
    Loyal is an awful food full of corn and meals so we wanted to switch ASAP!

We are also feeding the puppy probiotics. We buy "Complete Probiotics for Pets" from Mercola.com. He gets just a pinch of it on his food at each meal. We are feeding him 2/3 cup of food - 3Xday; total of 2 cups per day.
    He also is getting a little blended green veggies on top of his food every other day (just a teaspoon).

When you feed a dry kibble and not a raw diet, the cooking process that turns the food into hard kibble removes some important factors and we need to replace them for our dogs.

I hope this has been helpful and wish you all the best with your new pup!
    3 Chocolate labs and 1 grey kitty at our house!

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Dogfoodadvisor.com is ONE person's website, with their opinion, based soley on ingredients. It's not the OFFICIAL bible on dog food. If you have done your research on breeder's and picked this one, you should STICK to their recommendation of food.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

It mystifies me when people think enough of a breeder's expertise to buy a puppy from them, but totally disregard their opinion on dog food.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    It mystifies me when people think enough of a breeder's expertise to buy a puppy from them, but totally disregard their opinion on dog food.
    Me too, Sharon and quite honestly as a breeder it ticks me off.

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by doubletrouble25 View Post
    I also have been told by many people to stick to what the breeder tells us to do.
    These are wise people. Changing foods could nullify any contract that the breeder will ask you to sign. Most breeders, if they've been doing it for awhile, know which food their puppies/dogs do best on. That's why they feed what they do. Puppy foods are very important in the way a dog grows and ends up looking. If the breeder is feeding a specific food, you should ALWAYS ask before just blindly switching to something YOU think is better. Your choice might not be the best for your dog.

I REQUIRE my puppy people to feed what I tell them to feed until the dog reaches the age of 2. If they want to switch after that, then they can but if they do it beforehand they nullify my guarantee. My response when they call, crying because their dog has issues? Gee, I'm sorry, but I warned you to follow my direction.

Laura

I wrote a very thorough and caring reply for the person asking the questions.

Yes, Dog Food Advisor, is only one website. But we all know that Eukanuba is not the greatest dog food and breeders can tell their customers what to feed. Here’s another website listing the best dry dog foods Best Dog Food - Top 4 Dog Food Reviews
    And another about Eukanuba: Eukanuba Dog Food Reviews, Ratings and Analysis
    A breeder might breed and sell high quality dogs, but may be feeding a dog food according to their past experience or their budget.

We as dog care takers, need to do our absolute best to obtain and maintain the health of our dogs.

I also gave a lot of other helpful suggestions which will help the new puppy owners.
    Why was this unnoticed?! These negative comments make me not want to help out anymore with our experiences and research.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I agree with Sharon and Labby

KEEP the puppy on the food the breeder fed for at least a month or two. Wait and see how the food is working for the pup. If it is working and the pup is healthy, then why rock the boat until you change to an adult/all age food.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

I wrote a very thorough and caring reply for the person with the new puppy.

Yes, Dog Food Advisor, is only one website. But we all know that Eukanuba is not the greatest dog food and breeders can tell their customers what to feed.
    Here’s another website listing the best dry dog foods Best Dog Food - Top 4 Dog Food Reviews
    Here’s another website about Eukanuba: Eukanuba Dog Food Reviews, Ratings and Analysis

A breeder might breed and sell high quality dogs, but may be feeding a dog food according to their past experience or their budget.

We as dog care takers, need to do our absolute best to obtain and maintain the health of our dogs.

I also gave a lot of other helpful suggestions which will help the new puppy owners.
    Why was this unnoticed?! These negative comments make me not want to help out anymore with our experiences and research.

Sorry, but all those sites you posted are based on OPINION, not fact. I only deal in facts when it comes to my dogs. Eukanuba has been around for what seems forever. It is a good dog food if your dog does well on it. There is a reason breeders continue to feed it. It's because it works for THEIR dogs.

I've had a couple of puppy people switch off to some of the "better" foods than what I require. When these puppies come back for puppy day, they don't look like their littermates. It's pretty obvious that even the dog's owners can tell. I immediately ask them if they've switched food and 100% of the time they say yes. They read on one of these websites that the food I require isn't very good and switched to something "better". They come to me for my expertise when getting a puppy, yet they ignore my 35+ years in this breed when it comes to what to feed. Sure enough, when the puppy gets older it starts limping or having other issues and it breaks my heart. If only they had listened the dog might not have such issues.

Nobody has given you any negative comments. We've simply pointed out the FACT that these websites you post are someone's OPINION.

One of the most successful Lab breeders in the WORLD feeds Dog Chow. Why? Because she's a successful breeder and knows what works best for her dogs. And that's a FACT.

Laura

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast