Plain greek yougurt and goat's milk for a puppy

Thread: Plain greek yougurt and goat's milk for a puppy

SweetShelby is offline Senior Member

DefaultPlain greek yogurt and goat's milk for a puppy

After a long wait I'm finally picking up my puppy from the Breeder on Saturday, Hooray! My question is this: can I feed him a very small amount(like a tsp) of plain Greek yogurt mixed with his dry food for the calcium and his digestion once a day? If so, how long? Also can I supplement his diet with goats milk as a added treat? If so how much can I give him per day?

I plan using the same dry food as the breeder until I slowly ween him off that food because I plan on feeding him Origen puppy dry food mixed with some dog wet food added for the rest of his feedings that day. Any suggestions on a very good canned wet food to feed a puppy?
    Thanks

ETA: I forgot to mention he will be 8 1/2 weeks old.
    ETA2: Please forgive my spelling mistake, I can't believe I misspelled the name Yogurt. Yikes, and of course it has to be written on the Thread subject so I can't correct it. Figures, my luck
    Last edited by SweetShelby; 02-03-2013 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Because I'm a dummy, I spelt Yogurt wrong

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by SweetShelby View Post
    can I feed him a very small amount(like a tsp) of plain Greek yogurt mixed with his dry food for the calcium and his digestion once a day?
    No. If you are feeding a name brand puppy food you do not need to, nor should you, add yogurt. Adding calcium is dangerous to the growth of the puppy. Foods are formulated for even growth and if you mess up the calcium amounts (adding to them), you can throw off normal growth. No added calcium until the puppy is full grown (at least 18 months).

You do not need to supplement a name brand dog or puppy food, period.

Laura

Thank you very much. I want to do everything right and I'm so afraid of doing something wrong. Again, thank you, thank you and I sure my puppy will thank you too!

Egad, I wished I had asked first before buying. Yep I just bought the yogurt and goats' milk this morning darn it. I wonder if there's any good recipes (not for dogs) I could try using that? I hate to have them go to waste. The pint cost me over $4.00 for the milk and I think the yogurt cost the same too. As I certainly don't want to use the goats milk in my cereal, I guess I'm headed over to Foodtv and see what recipe I can make with using those 2 ingredients. Hopefully Paula Deen has a good( abet fattening) one

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

Oooooh, I want to see the puppy!!!
    Might have to wait on introducing to Koivu - he is not a puppy lover initally, though once he gets used to them he is okay. I gave him Orijen puppy as well and then switched to Acana or Fromm, mostly Fromm now.
    Where are you shopping? Holistic for Pets and Pet Supply (on Webber) both have good stock. Pet Supply has better prices generally. Once he gets a bit older, there's a guy at the Sarasota Farmer's Market who has fabulous bones (hormone-free cattle) and pastuerized wet food (think I spelled that wrong, blame it on the wine).
    Do you have a good vet? Mine is a lab lover, so let me know if you need a recommendation
    PM me if you need anything! I can puppy-sit when I'm off

Labby Yum, can't wait to try, thank you!

Dek Don't worry, I'll take so much pictures, you'll all be begging me to stop. I don't know how I'll be able to function this week due to the anticipation of his arrival. I simply can't wait!

How did the Origen work out for you and why did you switch? I was also think about giving him Acana( thanks for reminding me, I remember from here other members liked that brand as well. Why do you like Fromm better? Does Koivu like the taste better?

What a coincidence my neighbor just mentioned using a Holistic vet that she liked, I wonder if in the same place as the holistic shop?. I'd like to take you up on the Vet recommendations since I wasn't so thrilled about my last one. It was the one on Cooper Creek near BJ's. I felt they really drop the ball in failing to diagnose my dog's cancer early when we bought him to them after I discovered a suspicious lump the year before. They told me it was nothing. Hindsight, it wasn't and by the time I brought him back to them, it was too late to save him. Not to mention, it was how the Vet so callously suggested I put him down that day when she found a lump on his neck. She told me I was being selfish if I did otherwise. I did put him down the following week ( at the ER clinic next door) but sheesh , couldn't she have at least understood I needed more time to adjust to such devastating news. BTW the ER clinic was great, I liked them.

When my dog gets older we should definitely set up a play date for them. Shelby will need friends because I sincerely doubt my parents' beagle will be much of one because all he does is sleep and eat all day. :/.

Oops sorry, off topic

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

I'll PM you the vet's name. He's not a holistic vet, but he is very good. There are a few holistic vets around as well that I've heard good things about, but I haven't been to any of them myself.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Why do you want to switch from what the breeder is feeding? That might void your guarantee.

Nah, she only recommended it, she didn't say I must only feed keep him on that brand. At least that's the way I took it. Anyway, I finally got word from her( after a few emails I sent her) about what she's feeding them and it turns out I got the brand wrong and she is feeding them a good brand "Nature’s Variety Instinct “RABBIT Formula: I looked it up and I'm pleased with what I found , so I'm going to keep him on it for now.