Urine pH

Thread: Urine pH

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultUrine pH

All of my dogs have had urinary tract problems: UTI's, high pH, crystals, frequent urination. I just had Tony in for his last vacination and took a urine sample. He had been on antibiotics the last few weeks. The vet recommended vitamin C to bring down the pH. The last few weeks, all have had about 100 mg with each of three meals. Today he had a pH of 8. He is housebroken, doesn't leak, but wants to go out often. Vet says high carb diet brings up the pH, but he and the other three are on grain free. Treats are dehydrated chicken and about three medium Milk Bones/day. It's hard to estimate how much water (tap water) each drinks since all four drink from the same bowl. Together, about two gallons a day. I intend to order some pH paper, and increase vitamin c. If that doesn't help, try a different food. (currently all on TOTW)
    Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mitziandjudysmom View Post
    All of my dogs have had urinary tract problems: UTI's, high pH, crystals, frequent urination. I just had Tony in for his last vacination and took a urine sample. He had been on antibiotics the last few weeks. The vet recommended vitamin C to bring down the pH. The last few weeks, all have had about 100 mg with each of three meals. Today he had a pH of 8. He is housebroken, doesn't leak, but wants to go out often. Vet says high carb diet brings up the pH, but he and the other three are on grain free. Treats are dehydrated chicken and about three medium Milk Bones/day. It's hard to estimate how much water (tap water) each drinks since all four drink from the same bowl. Together, about two gallons a day. I intend to order some pH paper, and increase vitamin c. If that doesn't help, try a different food. (currently all on TOTW)
    Any suggestions?
    Moka gets 500 mg of Vit. C per day.
    Java gets 1000 mg of Vit. C per day (she also has joint issues thus the higher dose).

High protein foods (which grain free foods are) can affect the protein/PH in their urine...or so I am told.
    Both of my girls had/have recessed vulvas so that had chronic UTIs.
    I let Moka go through 2 heats so hers corrected but Java was spayed before I knew any better.

Both girls get Cranberry Capsules every day. Human grade from Rite-Aid.
    Neither girl has had any urinary issues since starting the Cran caps...so I would suggest giving that a try. It may be a cheap solution.

Java was so bad at one point that her vet recommended surgery to correct her vulva and stop the UTIs.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I'd change out the milk bones - pretty much all carbs/filler there. Mine get very small bones (think toy dog size) Old Mother Hubbard. I don't care all that much about the carb/filler in them since they are really small and they get maybe 2 a day. No other treats for them. They are REALLY happy to get the tiny bones.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I'd also increase the Vit C. I just had my last puppy leave and I was giving her at least 500 mg a day at not quite 11 wks. Also try adding a cranberry cap as that supposedly helps prevent the binding of the bacteria in the bladder.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014