thoughts on no vaccinations
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: thoughts on no vaccinations

martymonty is offline Member

Defaultthoughts on no vaccinations

Hi
    A breeder recommended to me does not vaccinate her puppies, she said she does not believe that they need all the vaccines that are given to dogs.
    what are your thoughts on this, we've only had pups that we took to the vet and got shots for, but I've always wondered if they needed shots every year.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sams Mom is offline Senior Member

While I believe there is research supporting not vaccinating every year, the initial vaccinations are incredibly important. Parvo is a nasty disease and I know of people who have almost lost their pups to it. I would be finding another breeder.

Dog Vaccination Schedule | Dogster
    Last edited by Sams Mom; 02-01-2013 at 11:57 AM.

labby is offline Senior Member

and this is why there is a resurgence in parvo cases. I don't over vaccinate, (well, okay, I prolly do my puppies), but I do believe in doing some vaccines. Once the puppy shots are done, and yes I am aggressive with puppy shots, then the one year booster, I give vaccines every 3 years up until the dogs are 10.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

martymonty is offline Member

she does do some vaccines, a modified vaccine schedule then suggests waiting until the pups are 12 weeks old (she keeps them until they are 10 weeks old) to see a vet.
    she came highly recommended on here from some people (evenstar Labradors). I am going to meet with her this weekend and get her opinion on vaccines and such. her pups
    are all cleared for any hip, elbow, eye, ect. problems and fed a raw diet which she feels is great for dogs, I don't know much about this type of feeding, but will look into that too.

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

I think you should go to a vet and ask them when and what you should vaccinate for. A vet definitely went to school to be able to answer those questions. A breeder probably did not.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by martymonty View Post
    she does do some vaccines, a modified vaccine schedule then suggests waiting until the pups are 12 weeks old (she keeps them until they are 10 weeks old) to see a vet.
    she came highly recommended on here from some people (evenstar Labradors). I am going to meet with her this weekend and get her opinion on vaccines and such. her pups
    are all cleared for any hip, elbow, eye, ect. problems and fed a raw diet which she feels is great for dogs, I don't know much about this type of feeding, but will look into that too.
    A. There is a vast difference between a modified schedule and NO vaccines. I am sure that she has a rationale for her decision. I don't give many of the vaccines that are available but my dogs have been vaccinated for distemper, parvo and rabies. One will continue to be vaccinated on a 3 year schedule and the other one I titer.

B. The clearances are NOT done on pups - they are done on the breeding adults.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    A. There is a vast difference between a modified schedule and NO vaccines. I am sure that she has a rationale for her decision. I don't give many of the vaccines that are available but my dogs have been vaccinated for distemper, parvo and rabies. One will continue to be vaccinated on a 3 year schedule and the other one I titer.

THIS

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post

x10

I cannot imagine doing NO vaccinations at all on a puppies. Being cautious and vaccinations, spacing them out, only doing the essentials, titering to see if the vaccination is need or not can all be great alternatives. It also depends where you live, some places you can skip a vaccinations while other places your are taking a huge gamble by skippinng that one.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

doubletrouble25 is offline Senior Member

I definitely plan on doing all of the necessary vaccinations with my puppy. Just curious, what are reasons why someone would not want to vaccinate?

MelCole is offline Member

I do NOT remember where or what study this originated from. It was given to me about 10 years ago when my Rainbow Girl was diagnosed with Addison's disease (at age 3) and was concerned about "taxing" her immuno-compromised system with the "recommended" vaccination schedule. From age 5 on, she received ONLY the law-required Rabies 3-year vaccine (and I could have gotten her exempted from it, but there's too much wild life around here for me to have a comfort level in withholding that one)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast