thoughts on no vaccinations - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: thoughts on no vaccinations

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by doubletrouble25 View Post
    I definitely plan on doing all of the necessary vaccinations with my puppy. Just curious, what are reasons why someone would not want to vaccinate?
    Some believe vaccinations can do as much, or more, harm as good. Some believe they simply aren't needed as often as we were told. This latter reason is easy, but not cheap, to test for by checking titre levels, though that also has it's problems.

It's really an exhaustive subject and you can google for articles but I do suggest you read up on what is said by Dr. Jean Dodds and Dr. Ron Shultz. I was intending to follow the Dodd's three year protocol Dr. Jean Dodds' Pet Health Resource Blog | Dr. Dodds' 2012 Canine Vaccination Protocol but may dispense with any further vacs. Except Rabies which is required by law.

Dr. Shultz has recently published information to cast doubt on the way we vaccinate puppies. Schultz: Dog vaccines may not be necessary (March 14, 2003)

This is an evolving area of research and some of it threatens Veterinary income so it's good to read and learn as much as you can on your own. Another concern is that some places will not allow your dog in if you can't produce those vaccination papers and they may not accept titres either. Doggy Day Care, Boarding Kennels. One training facility near me will not allow titred dogs, they must be vaccinated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by doubletrouble25 View Post
    I definitely plan on doing all of the necessary vaccinations with my puppy. Just curious, what are reasons why someone would not want to vaccinate?
    What's important is that you learn what is necessary and what is not. Vets (even really good trusted vets) will offer virtually every vaccine under the sun to you - and if you don't know what is necessary in your area you can overvaccinate your dog. And that can mean that your small puppy is getting a whole lot of vaccines which will seriously tax her system all at once.

You need to space out the shots - they should not all happen in one visit. And you need to determine whether you need Lyme or Bordatella or Lepto and whatever other non-core vax you are offered. My dogs don't get those - but - they may be necessary where you live or if you board.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

doubletrouble25 is offline Senior Member

Thanks so much for your information! I definitely plan on doing more research into this before we pick her up and take her to her first vet appointment!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MelCole View Post
    I do NOT remember where or what study this originated from. It was given to me about 10 years ago when my Rainbow Girl was diagnosed with Addison's disease (at age 3) and was concerned about "taxing" her immuno-compromised system with the "recommended" vaccination schedule. From age 5 on, she received ONLY the law-required Rabies 3-year vaccine (and I could have gotten her exempted from it, but there's too much wild life around here for me to have a comfort level in withholding that one)

OTOH, I know of one of my pups whose distemper titer was low after only a year or 2. And another person whose dog cant seem to hold a good parvo titer. Both vets use big name brands of vaccines. I don't think I'd trust a chart, per se. I do pretty much what Labby does w/ vaccines--- I take no chances on puppies. Mine would likely be dead if not vacc'd by 12 wks around here.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

MelCole is offline Member

I only put that out there because I received it as a guideline for an Addisonian dog (and THAT was over 10 years ago, so it's definitely "dated"). Paddy, however, is a Service Dog and because he's out in the public, exposed to everything, I think I tend to over-vaccinate him.... but my Vet is willing to bring in Thimerosol (sp?) free vaccines because of my concerns over mercury. I don't do the Lyme anymore because he's gotten Lyme twice despite being vaccinated so we just constantly test and treat as necessary. I don't think there's any protocol that's set completely in stone so we need to educate ourselves as best we can and have a Vet who's willing to work with us and answer questions for the good of the dog, not the elusive dollar.

Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    OTOH, I know of one of my pups whose distemper titer was low after only a year or 2. And another person whose dog cant seem to hold a good parvo titer. Both vets use big name brands of vaccines. I don't think I'd trust a chart, per se. I do pretty much what Labby does w/ vaccines--- I take no chances on puppies. Mine would likely be dead if not vacc'd by 12 wks around here.
    I have my dog titered and she has come up weak on the distemper titre at approximately the two year mark a couple of times.....so I have ended up having to vaccinate after titering. I expressed my surprise to my vet because I kept hearing that most titres are still strong after three years......and he said it just happens with some dogs. He said he'd seen it more with titering for parvo.

The only reason I am titering Diesel is because of his diabetes. He'll be 7 in March and I feel that the less stress I subject him to, the better. But - if his titer comes up lacking, I will certainly get him a booster.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Of The Hill View Post
    I have my dog titered and she has come up weak on the distemper titre at approximately the two year mark a couple of times.....so I have ended up having to vaccinate after titering. I expressed my surprise to my vet because I kept hearing that most titres are still strong after three years......and he said it just happens with some dogs. He said he'd seen it more with titering for parvo.
    Thanks, I thought it was really odd the first time, but kind of scary the 2nd time! The same pup has held a parvo titer strong, so it's not like there is anything wrong w/ the immune system.
    With mine constantly (most likely) being challenged here by parvo which is all around me, I do think my parvo vaccines should hold very long. We've had the occasional distemper break out at the HS, but less frequently, so that almost scares me more now if the distemper isn't holding on some dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    The only reason I am titering Diesel is because of his diabetes. He'll be 7 in March and I feel that the less stress I subject him to, the better. But - if his titer comes up lacking, I will certainly get him a booster.
    The nice thing now is that the folks at Neotech have standalone vaccines for Parvo (Neopar) and Distmemper (Neovac) and they are fairly easy to get. I have nearly a tray of the Neopar here for puppies which I've given at 5 wks as a matter of course for the past 10 yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    The nice thing now is that the folks at Neotech have standalone vaccines for Parvo (Neopar) and Distmemper (Neovac) and they are fairly easy to get. I have nearly a tray of the Neopar here for puppies which I've given at 5 wks as a matter of course for the past 10 yrs.
    Thanks! That's good to know.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast