Smokey just turned 9 months, we earlier suspected he was cryptorchid (one testicle) the other one couldn't be felt by our vet. Had we neutered at the 6 month mark it would have been a more invasive surgery. Somewhere in the not so distant past his second one descended!
I am so glad I read on the pros and cons of early neutering and decided to wait. One of the many valuable things I learned from the great people here on this site.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge! (it spared my pup a more than necessary surgery and allowed him to grow with his hormones)
Thanks for sharing! I also have a 6 month old male cryptorchid. My vet has wanted to neuter at 6 months, but I'm trusting my breeder at this point and plan on waiting until 18 months. Hoping it descends so we don't have to have the invasive surgery as well. Fingers crossed!
I hope for you that his descends as well. Ii was growing skeptical and then, there it was! We are also going to neuter at 18 months. My vet was ok when I gave her my reasoning. The Evet we had to use on the other hand asked me WHY he had not been neutered yet and didn't care much for my response, I figure it's my business and as long as I tell them he is NOT going to have an opportunity to mate it is no concern to them.
I'm hoping so as well. My vet and I have agreed to disagree. Both of my females labs are spayed, and he's never out without us and on a leash. He thinks it's more detrimental to have them develop all the hormones and then neuter. Like I said... agreed to disagree.
My first dog too was an cryptorchid and unfortunately he did have to invasive surgery because I had him neutered at 6 months. Dumb mistake which I didn't repeat with my second dog(not a cryptorchid), with him I waited until he was 18 months.
This time however, in my contract the breeder states I must have him Neutered between 9 -12 months. Failure to do so results in my breeder taking him away and letting them have him fixed at my expense. Nice huh? Needless to say, I plan on waiting as late as I can before his first birthday :/.
Charlie (foster) and Rocky
While I totally agree with the sentiment behind delaying neutering until 18 months, reality can intervene. Our English Black female was 72lbs and strong as an ox at 9 months. She's walked twice a day, morning and evening, but our schedules are such that my wife and I split this routine.
Dover walkes well on leash... but she's a teenager... and it can be a real chore for my wife at 120lbs to control her when she decides she really, really wants that empty water bottle on the side of the road. When we started contemplating the possibility of my wife having to control her when she decided she was ready for her first "date", we decided to have her spayed before her first heat. At 10 months, I suspect we made it just under the wire.