another reason not to neuter too early...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: another reason not to neuter too early...

smokey is offline Senior Member

Defaultanother reason not to neuter too early...

Smokey just turned 9 months, we earlier suspected he was cryptorchid (one testicle) the other one couldn't be felt by our vet. Had we neutered at the 6 month mark it would have been a more invasive surgery. Somewhere in the not so distant past his second one descended!

I am so glad I read on the pros and cons of early neutering and decided to wait. One of the many valuable things I learned from the great people here on this site.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge! (it spared my pup a more than necessary surgery and allowed him to grow with his hormones)
    Smokey 4/25/2012

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labbieRN is offline Junior Member

Thanks for sharing! I also have a 6 month old male cryptorchid. My vet has wanted to neuter at 6 months, but I'm trusting my breeder at this point and plan on waiting until 18 months. Hoping it descends so we don't have to have the invasive surgery as well. Fingers crossed!

smokey is offline Senior Member

I hope for you that his descends as well. Ii was growing skeptical and then, there it was! We are also going to neuter at 18 months. My vet was ok when I gave her my reasoning. The Evet we had to use on the other hand asked me WHY he had not been neutered yet and didn't care much for my response, I figure it's my business and as long as I tell them he is NOT going to have an opportunity to mate it is no concern to them.
    Smokey 4/25/2012

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labbieRN is offline Junior Member

I'm hoping so as well. My vet and I have agreed to disagree. Both of my females labs are spayed, and he's never out without us and on a leash. He thinks it's more detrimental to have them develop all the hormones and then neuter. Like I said... agreed to disagree.

SweetShelby is offline Senior Member

My first dog too was an cryptorchid and unfortunately he did have to invasive surgery because I had him neutered at 6 months. Dumb mistake which I didn't repeat with my second dog(not a cryptorchid), with him I waited until he was 18 months.

This time however, in my contract the breeder states I must have him Neutered between 9 -12 months. Failure to do so results in my breeder taking him away and letting them have him fixed at my expense. Nice huh? Needless to say, I plan on waiting as late as I can before his first birthday :/.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by SweetShelby View Post
    This time however, in my contract the breeder states I must have him Neutered between 9 -12 months. Failure to do so results in my breeder taking him away and letting them have him fixed at my expense. Nice huh? Needless to say, I plan on waiting as late as I can before his first birthday :/.
    You might want to consult a lawyer. I don't see how this is even remotely enforcable. What - is the breeder coming to your home at a year and inspecting your dog?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

My first dog too was an cryptorchid and unfortunately he did have to invasive surgery because I had him neutered at 6 months. Dumb mistake which I didn't repeat with my second dog(not a cryptorchid), with him I waited until he was 18 months.

I agree with BigBrownDog but this also goes to say you need to be more proactive when picking a breeder next time. Look at the contact before deciding, asking about their thoughts on when to neuter (on top of all the regular questions about clearances on both parents and what venu parents are proved in)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Bob S. is offline Junior Member

While I totally agree with the sentiment behind delaying neutering until 18 months, reality can intervene. Our English Black female was 72lbs and strong as an ox at 9 months. She's walked twice a day, morning and evening, but our schedules are such that my wife and I split this routine.

Dover walkes well on leash... but she's a teenager... and it can be a real chore for my wife at 120lbs to control her when she decides she really, really wants that empty water bottle on the side of the road. When we started contemplating the possibility of my wife having to control her when she decided she was ready for her first "date", we decided to have her spayed before her first heat. At 10 months, I suspect we made it just under the wire.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bob S. View Post

Dover walkes well on leash... but she's a teenager... and it can be a real chore for my wife at 120lbs to control her when she decides she really, really wants that empty water bottle on the side of the road. When we started contemplating the possibility of my wife having to control her when she decided she was ready for her first "date", we decided to have her spayed before her first heat. At 10 months, I suspect we made it just under the wire.
    In my experience, female dogs are just not all that hot to trot when in heat. Have you considered obedience lessons to get your dog to walk nicely on a loose leash?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

mss
    mss is offline Member

I agree with BBD. This sounds even less enforceable than a non-compete agreement that an employer may force you to sign, in other words, NOT. It's actually rather amusing. I would simply ignore it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast