Anal Glands

Thread: Anal Glands

aussielab is offline Junior Member

DefaultAnal Glands

Recently our Vet suggested we have our 8yo labs anal glands removed. We have had some issues with them that require emptying every now and then but no where near as frequently as I have read others have to do. The frequency of the vists would vary from a short as 3 months to as long as 8 months. Reading up on the procedure I don't see any need to put my dog through such an operation yet. Although her stools are firm we are changing her food from Eukanuba to a grain free food with more protein. I will be supplementing this with some bones and raw food. I am hoping this will reduce the frequency of occurrence of the anal gland issue and also provide other health benefits as well. Reading the dog food analysis site I was surprised how poorly the so called premium dog foods in this country rated. It was certainly and eye opener into how much of the dry food is filler.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

My dog (also 8 yrs old) has anal gland issues. It's kind of sporadic, but on average she probably sees the vet about once every two to three months regarding this.....sometimes longer and occasionally shorter. Personally it hasn't been enough of an issue at this point for us to consider surgery. I watch closely for the signs that they are starting to bother her....scooting etc. and get them done when necessary. I'm sure if they are left too long it could cause real problems. Just curious as to if your dog has allergies/problems with her ears or skin?

Hopefully you'll get more replies soon. It's not an uncommon issue.

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

I would get another opinion. My first lab had her annal glands removed and in hindsight I am sorry I did it. She had terrible complications and her immune system was ruined.

I would try adding canned plane pumpkin (no spices) to the diet. This adds a good amount of roughage which should help the glands.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Top Of The Hill View Post
    My dog (also 8 yrs old) has anal gland issues. It's kind of sporadic, but on average she probably sees the vet about once every two to three months regarding this.....sometimes longer and occasionally shorter. Personally it hasn't been enough of an issue at this point for us to consider surgery. I watch closely for the signs that they are starting to bother her....scooting etc. and get them done when necessary. I'm sure if they are left too long it could cause real problems. Just curious as to if your dog has allergies/problems with her ears or skin?

Hopefully you'll get more replies soon. It's not an uncommon issue.
    She sometimes has a problem with her ears but we normally get on top of it early. This is very infrequent.

Quote Originally Posted by nellies mom View Post
    I would get another opinion. My first lab had her annal glands removed and in hindsight I am sorry I did it. She had terrible complications and her immune system was ruined.

I would try adding canned plane pumpkin (no spices) to the diet. This adds a good amount of roughage which should help the glands.
    I have read about the canned pumpkin but to my knowledge we don't have that available here. I might try the frozen beans which I have also read about here.

bett is offline Senior Member

if you cant find canned pumpkin, you can use metamucil tablets.
    jake is 75lbs and get 2 2x per day, with meals.
    he also , at times, will get pumpkin or baked sweet potato. ( a small slice with his food)
    he no longer seems to have any issues with his anal glands.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

I would get a second opinion from a vet in a totally different vet clinic before you put your dog under for an operation like that.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I would certainly not put my dog through surgery just because they need to be expressed every few months. If they were chronically infected - - - maybe. I'd see another vet and look to diet for a solution for the gland problem.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

mss
    mss is offline Member

I would not opt for surgery unless they were abcessed, constantly infected, or needed to be expressed every couple of weeks. My 14 YO Lab has had issues since she was a puppy, but they are not severe by any means. She needs to have them expressed maybe 3 times per year. I have tried the pumpkin, fiber supplements, green beans, and nothing prevented it from continuing.

If you're so inclined, there is a video on You Tube on how to DIY express your dog's anal glands. . . my vet charges $25 to do it, and I think it's money well spent!

I would definitely get another opinion.